5x5 @ 340, all very fast and easy

Overhead strict axle press -

1x10 @ empty 55 lb. axle

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 175

1x2 @ 195

1x2 @ 215

5x2 @ 220

Safety squat bar good mornings, moving to do them very light again after reading a recent Wendler article suggesting to not approach it like other heavy work -

3x25 @ 135 lbs., using hips/glutes to shoot it up fast every rep

Seated strict press, wide grip, touching collarbone in front every rep -

3x10 @ 135 lbs.

1x20 @ 95

Reverse hyperextension machine -

2x20 @ 90 lbs.

1x25 @ 70 lbs.

Called it a day, should be doing some upper back work again soon!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you will, asparagus! Overhead strength, if nothing else, takes time and dedication more than I think most other parts do, unless you're some sort of freak who has naturally great shoulder strength (most of us do not have it so lucky!)

Train them hard, train them heavy, high reps and low reps, dumbbell and barbell, partial ROM and full ROM....everything that makes you work hard with overhead pressing tends to pay off in the long run, just that the returns are usually slow and most people don't bother putting in the time needed to get there. And, don't forget those triceps and upper back, they play a part in having a strong overhead press almost as much as the shoulders themselves!

Upper back and chest training last night -

Swiss Bar bent over rows (bar with 3 sets of 30 degree angled handles instead of normal straight bar) -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

1x5 @ 225

3x5 @ 265

1x8 @ 245

1x12 @ 225

1x20 @ 185

Flat barbell bench -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 245

1x1 @ 265

1x1 @ 285

1x1 @ 295, tough rep, barely made it tonight, not great for going heavy

5x2 @ 265

2x8 @ 225

Weighted chins with Pit Shark (machine where you attach weight to a belt setup for weighted dips or chins, but keeps your body stable as it pulls downward with a slight angle without any swing of the added weight) -

3x8 @ 70 lbs. added, first set not too bad, 2nd set got 5 and had to take a few seconds between each remaining rep, final set tough as hell, had to do about 5 seconds between each rep to get them in, the Pit Shark gives a whole new learning curve to pull-ups!

Swiss Bar flat benching -

1x20 @ 150 lbs. torso width angled grip

1x20 @ 150 lbs. medium angled grip w/ hands about 12" apart, very tough!

Blue monster band V-handle rows, band looped around support beam, tension about 100 lbs. at start, close to 180-200 lbs. at finish of pull

3x20

That was it, deadlifting tomorrow to get back to my 5x5 style plan for those again!

Lower back and overhead work last night -

Deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 275

1x3 @ 315

5x5 @ 350, all easy and fast, two more weeks until testing @ 370, then it's time to get working over 400 again!

Standing strict overhead axle press -

1x5 @ empty axle (55 lb.)

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x1 @ 205

1x1 @ 215

1x1 @ 225

1x1 @ 235

5x5 @ 200

Pull-throughs, using orange band tied around support pillar w/ rope attached -

3x20

Seated barbell shoulder press -

2x8 @ 145 lbs.

Reverse hyperextensions -

3x20 @ 70 lbs.

Threw in some trapezius stuff at the end for good measure, middle back is starting to get stronger but need to make sure upper back doesn't slack as well -

Safety squat bar Hise shrugs -

3x20 @ 325 lbs.

DB shrugs lying face down on 45 degree angle bench -

3x30 @ 85 lb. DBs

Band pull-aparts -

3x20

Called it a day, doing upper back and possibly legs on Monday!

Upper back night tonight, too worn out for legs, will do those with chest on Wednesday.

Swiss bar bent over rows -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

4x10 @ 235 lbs. (2 sets slightly wider than torso, 2 sets slightly narrower than torso width)

Pull-ups (234 lbs. clothed and with shoes tonight) -

2x12 wide grip just beyond shoulder width

1x12 medium grip

T-bar rows with V handle and barbell wedged into corner -

2x15 @ 200 lbs.

Inverted rows with Swiss bar handle in power rack -

2x25 @ bodyweight

Wrapped up with 3x40 for dip shrugs, decided that it was time for my once-every-6-weeks day of some biceps work, threw in 2x15 EZ bar preacher curls @ 75 lbs. for good measure as I was shutting the facility down for the night.

Feeling great lately, still stripping off the fat slowly (the first 3 months were great, past month has been only a pound or two, but still progress since I'm also still getting stronger), still working my way down to about 225 (I range from 228.5 to 231 any given morning) before I shift gears and start rebuilding the size again, this time eating CLEANLY and not using it as an excuse to get fat again.

Not going to set any massive goals for myself for the coming months - holidays are creeping up fast, come late October I will no longer have much of a personal life (as usual) and will be pretty much living at work for 3 months straight, so it'll be all I can do this winter to keep things consistent, keep training at least 2-3 times per week, and not let my diet turn back to crap. I believe I may have finally built the discipline this time around to make it through the October-February "live to work" routine, but of course, we'll see how it goes in due time. Now, to get my squat and deadlift each well into the 400s again before that time rolls around in about 6-7 weeks!

No leg or chest work last week, missed a day, but will get back on that ASAP. Tonight was shoulders and lower back work instead -

Standing strict overhead axle press -

1x10 @ empty 55 lb. axle

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x3 @ 215

1x2 @ 220

1x1 @ 225

1x1 @ 230

1x1 @ 235

1x1 @ 240

Gave 245 a scare, but didn't lock it out fully. Dropped weight down -

3x6 @ 195 lbs. to wrap it up

Deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

5x5 @ 360, all reps fast and easy, felt like every set could have been an easy 8-10, but that's not the goal right now, gotta stay focused and keep myself in check.

Seated strict barbell overhead press -

2x12 @ 135 lbs., medium grip, all reps touching collarbone, none of that "lower only to the ears" garbage that lets people lift more than they are truly capable of I found that I can squeak out about 3-4 more reps when I cut them short, so no point in making life easier, time to get stronger.

Good mornings with black thick bands on bar, no plates, tension around 50 lbs. at bottom, about 150 lbs. at finish -

2x15 done fast for speed

2x25 @ 70 lbs., all reps squeezed with glutes and hams, no cheat

Good quick session tonight, spending the day at the Bay View Bash strongman contest tomorrow to spectate and give a hand if they need any help, should be fun. Squats and benching on Sunday, one more session Tuesday, then it's off to Baltimore for the Natural Products Expo, so I'll be missing training from Wednesday through Saturday, but will be back on track the following Sunday!

[...] all reps touching collarbone, none of that "lower only to the ears" garbage that lets people lift more than they are truly capable of

+1

Yeah, I've never really understood the notion of people shorting some of the most critical 6-8" of ROM in the movement. Most likely because it's a LOT harder to get a bar moving from touching your collarbone than it is from 1/3 of the way up when people are also getting more rebound from the stretch reflex on each rep as well

I find that most people tend to be REALLY weak from the racked collar position even if they are halfway decent pressers, so it would do most folks a lot of good to spend some time working their weak points instead of stroking their egos by handling more weight or knocking out more reps with a shortened ROM. After all, you don't hear anyone prescribing that you cut your bench press reps a half foot before they touch your chest, why would shoulders be any different!

Didn't get to train as planned so far, but am trying to make up for it tomorrow on Tuesday at all costs with a mega chest/legs/upper back session if I can squeeze it all in. Had to work until the sun came up last night, will probably be the same tonight, so all I can do is get enough done so that I can take off Tuesday night to hit the gym before leaving for Baltimore on Wed. morning. Fingers crossed I won't get screwed out of my planned training time tomorrow night!

Lost last week due to travel, but got back to the gym last night once I was settled in at home again, chest/upper back work last night.

Flat barbell bench press -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x3 @ 185

1x2 @ 225

1x2 @ 245

1x1 @ 275

1x1 @ 295 touch-and-go, good speed, definitely felt strong with that one

3x5 @ 255

1x8 @ 225

1x15 @ 185

1x27 @ 135 lbs., done until I couldn't hit another rep and the bar was just stuck on my chest for a bit

Weighted pull-ups -

1x5 @ bodyweight (230.5 lbs. clothed tonight, bodyweight down to 227.5)

1x3 @ 30 lbs. added

1x2 @ 45 lbs. added

3x5 @ 72.5 lbs. added, all reps clean on each set with 2-3 seconds between each, last rep each set was a struggle but still successful

2x8 @ 45 lbs. added

1x12 @ bodyweight, ultra-wide grip (all other sets medium grip)

Incline DB flyes to stretch out (chest was a bit cramped after benching) -

2x20 @ 25 lb. DBs

DB rows -

2x15 @ 150 lb. DB each arm

Seated row with V handle attached to black band looped around support pole -

2x20

Called it quits after that, wore out pretty quickly after a week off, but am looking forward to squatting tonight or tomorrow!

Thanks, Robert!

Had to move a freezer across our warehouse on Monday with nothing by my body as I couldn't get anything under it to slide it better, so it was 225 lb. man vs. 800 lb. metal box for 45 minutes of shoulder blocking it inch by inch across the floor. Unfortunately, that pretty well ruined me for a few days afterward for training, so I didn't get to lift until Friday afternoon, stayed on course with deadlifting and overhead work -

Standing strict overhead press w/ axle -

1x10 @ 55 lb. empty axle

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x2 @ 215

1x1 @ 225

1x1 @ 235

3x5 @ 200

3x2 @ 210

Deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

1x5 @ 315

5x5 @ 385, felt good, reached goal for this cycle, time to change things up a bit next week. Will bump up to 5x2 @ 395 with some higher rep work like 3x10 @ 315 afterward, giving me a break from as much heavy loading while still being able to increase weight.

Seated strict overhead press -

3x5 @ 160

1x20 @ 100

4x20 @ 70 lbs.

Nothing complicated, will get in to squat on Sunday finally!

Had only an hour to train last night, so couldn't get leg day in until this evening, but completed a quick but quality upper back session instead -

Weighted pull-ups (bodyweight 228 lbs. clothed)

1x3 @ bodyweight

1x3 @ 27.5 lbs. added

3x8 @ 57.5 lbs. added, done as 4-5 reps with no break, then remaining reps as singles with a few breaths between each and toes just barely touching floor for a minor de-load at bottom

Barbell rows -

1x10 @ 245

1x10 @ 250

1x10 @ 255

Wide-grip pull-ups (hands about 3 feet apart, as wide as I can grab and still manage my sets)

3x12 @ bodyweight

Seated row w/ V-handle and blue monster band tied around support pillar -

3x20, weight something like 120-140 lbs at start, 180-200 lbs. at finish of pull

In between the final two exercises, worked in some trapezius stuff without a break to get it all in -

Safety squat bar Hise shrugs -

3x25 @ 325 lbs.

Lat shrugs from a hanging pull-up position, 45 lbs. added weight tied on -

3x25

Just made it out in a few minutes past the hour mark, had to keep rest times short and stay moving.

Squats tonight, starting light again after missing too many sessions, but need to get back on it!

"Had to move a freezer across our warehouse on Monday with nothing by my body as I couldn't get anything under it to slide it better, so it was 225 lb. man vs. 800 lb. metal box for 45 minutes of shoulder blocking it inch by inch across the floor."

Oh man! You should have filmed this as a Pay Per View event! I would have paid to tune in to watch this!

Thanks, L&G and Robert! It was pretty brutal moving that fridge, but more tiring than anything else.

Unfortunately, after I posted last time, I pulled a few odd muscles around the hip and ribcage area while wrestling an 8' long 170 lb. composite plastic countertop into place for a new packing station, so I lost most of last week while healing up from that as it was pretty painful for about 5 days afterward. Felt better yesterday, got my benching and squatting in for a quick late-night session at midnight -

Squats -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

10x10 @ 225, just wanted to do high volume at a low weight and test my form with a few different foot positions. All sets easy, but definitely tired after the last one.

Bench -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 250

1x1 @ 280

8x5 @ 230

Just not feeling great with benching tonight, definitely on the weak side.

Bodyweight holding tight around 225-226 lbs., still just focusing on eating clean for now, will be looking at changing gears and working to get some quality mass back on before too much longer!

Upper back training last night -

Weighted pull-ups (229 lbs. clothed and no weight attached) -

1x5 @ bodyweight

1x3 @ 45 lbs. added

3x5 @ 82.5 lbs. added, done as singles with 3-5 seconds between each rep, slight toe touch deload at bottom while resting between reps

Barbell rows -

3x8 @ 260 lbs.

Wide grip pull-ups -

3x12 @ bodyweight

Seated V handle row with black Elite FTS monster band, about 170 lbs. tension at start, about 220 lbs. at finish estimated -

3x20

Some trapezius focus to close things out, started with Safety Squat bar Hise shrugs -

1x10 @ 315 lbs.

1x10 @ 365

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 455

1x10 @ 500

2x35 @ 315

1x60 @ 225

Followed by 3 circuits of -

Overhead shrugs with 2" diameter axle -

20 reps @ 235 lbs., REALLY wobbly with these tonight, gave me as much core work as anything else!

Band pull-aparts -

20 reps

Lying face down on incline bench @ 30 degrees DB front raises -

20 reps @ 20 lb. DBs

Good strong session tonight, but slight strain on the under-the-rib musculature I had irritated last week, those overhead shrugs got me a bit. Will do those lighter next time until I get better stability, but good nonetheless.

May get in for some light event work tomorrow if I feel up to it, planning on skateboarding Thursday, then it's deadlift/overhead day on Friday!

Had to take most of the week off as my legs were so locked up from the high rep squatting that I could barely move for 3 days afterward. Got in for shoulders and deadlifting work tonight -

10" diameter log press in the power rack, all reps strict, rolled log into the press on each rep -

1x10 @ 70 lb. empty log

1x5 @ 120 lbs.

1x3 @ 160

1x1 @ 170

1x1 @ 180

1x1 @ 190

1x1 @ 195

1x1 @ 200, took 3 tries, kept missing getting it into the right start position but press went well when I finally got it in the right place.

1x8 @ 160

1x7 @ 160

1x6 @ 160, triceps fried at this point

Deadlifts, moved back to doubles again -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x2 @ 365

5x2 @ 405

1x15 @ 315 to rep out a nice set when done, had more in the tank but opted to quit as soon as I'd need to stop and catch my breath.

Seated strict overhead barbell press -

2x12 @ 135 lbs.

Saftey squat bar good mornings to parallel, ass WAY back each rep, glutes/hams to shoot it up with minimal lower back work -

1x20 @ 135 lbs.

1x20 @ 145

1x20 @ 155

Seated barbell press w/ bands for speed reps, about 65 lbs. bottom tension, about 95 lbs. ending tension at lockout -

1x25

That's it for today, may get some upper back work tomorrow if I can fit it in, otherwise Sunday!

Thanks, Robert! Feeling good training these days, hoping things stay on the right track!

Upper back workout tonight -

Barbell rows -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

3x6 @ 275

1x15 @ 225, done as 13, catch a few breaths, 2 reps to finish

Safety Squat bar Hise shrugs -

1x15 @ 225 lbs.

1x15 @ 315

4x15 @ 405

Weighted pull-ups -

3x8 w/ 45 lbs. added on

Face down on 45 degree incline bench DB shrugs -

3x25 @ 100 lb. DBs

Seated monster band row, about 150 lbs. at start, about 200 lbs. tension at finish -

3x15, using Swiss handle attachment, changing grips each set

Final work was a circuit of the following for 3 sets -

- Band pull-aparts, 3x20, move to

- 45 degree angled pulldowns using black monster band from Elite FTS and V handle, about 120 lbs. at start, about 150 lbs. tension at finish, 3x20, then move to

- 30 degree incline bench face-down front raises for rear delts, 3x20 @ 20 lb. DBs

Nice fast session, feeling good, looking forward to leg day tomorrow or Tuesday!

Legs and chest tonight, fairly simple plan for the evening -

Alternated sets of squats and benching -

Squats -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

1x5 @ 275, 280, 285, 290, 295, 300, 305, 310, 315

Flat barbell bench press -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

10x5 @ 235, last set lost it at 3, racked, rested 10 seconds and finished, got pretty fried at the end

Lying leg curl -

1x20 @ 120 lbs.

2x15 @ 150 lbs.

Horizontal bench press machine w/ 2 green thick bands wrapped around (about 150 lbs. tension at start, about 220 at finish)

3x15, changing grips each set

Did one set of Panora pressdowns using a medium orange band tied over the top of a power rack to finish, 20 reps each arm, called it a night, in and out in 90 minutes exactly including warm-up time.

Rest tomorrow, skateboarding Thursday (if my legs don't do the usual "lock up solid 2 days after squatting"), and deadlifts/overhead pressing on Friday!

Thanks, Mini Forklift! I don't get to skate much these days, but like to get out at least 1-2 times per month when I can. Between running two businesses, lifting, and trying to relax in the rare chances I get, time is pretty short for me most days. It's a different enjoyment that makes me feel 2 decades younger as soon as I do it, so as long as the body holds up, it's my occasional "fountain of youth"!

Week going well, just happy that I finally committed to squatting again after being derailed a few times over the past months with a messed up schedule. Even a few weeks off from squats means I have to start light again, my body almost completely forgets how to stay tight and use good form if I miss a few sessions, so it's a bad idea to skip a squat day for me unless absolutely necessary. Gotta bring those legs back up to match the upper body, a half decade of neglect from the lower back damage really took off a lot of size, we'll see what I can do to get it back Hope you're doing well, and keep up the great training, lots of inspiring stuff you post in your log!