Synny's training journal

Food looks good, training looks solid... so just the getting up in the morning that's a little dodgy. I hear ya !!

You ever tried soaking the oats? Doing this ensures a higher bioavailability of the proteins in the grain and better absorption of the nutrients, and IMO they taste better that way as well. Soaked oats are easier on your digestion and fill you up for longer. ONLY when oats are eaten raw do they deliver digestive enzymes to the stomach and prebiotics to the gut. Prebiotics are the natural foods that support and feed your healthy good bacterial population that run your intestinal health (and therefore your immune system). Food heated over sustained temperatures of 118 degrees virtually destroys all all of the natural digestive enzymes and prebiotics that would have been present before cooking.

Sorry for the ramble... hope you have a great weekend. Much planned? Do you normally take the weekend off the gym or not?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be inclined to think my calves are genetically well-muscled, I do train them hard though.

Never really thought about soaking my oats. But then again I am still pretty novice when it comes to food. Raw foods have intrigued me but again I am a novice and have a lot to learn.

I never take the weekend off because I am usually helping a friend train and end up just doing cardio. Right now I am trying to train for a 5k which is coming along nicely considering the thought of running made me cringe. I used to smoke and majorly over weight so now that the weight is coming off and the muscles are getting stronger running is just so much easier. Still trying to get the lung capacity up but even that gets better with each practice run. Like today I set the treadmill for 30 min and warmed up for 3 1/2 min and then took off. Only walked 2 1/2 min after that just to find a new song to listen to and to catch my breath. Hoping to run the Thanksgiving Day 5k for Harvester's.

The run is Nov 22 which is my training partner's birthday. I have been off cigarettes for like 4 yrs now. I quit because of the price alone even though I didn't want to but now I am sooooo glad I quit.

I am so ready to leave work so I can go to the gym and run off the graham crackers I snacked on. Instead of setting the time on the treadmill I am going to just set it up for the 5k program. I think once I get the 5k down I will try the 10k. Beginning to think I am a born runner who is just now discovering it

That's the attitude !!!! Every distance is its' own challenge, I wouldn't even say that the 10km is harder than the 5km as you run them differently. Once you get past the 10km (half marathon, full marathon etc) it gets tougher but 5 and 10km races IMO are highly achievable for most people that like to run a bit.

I wasn't even trying to beat my time from the last 5k I ran was just trying to hold a steady pace but I STILL beat my time from last 5k... only 9 sec but that is still 9 sec faster than me a week ago! I probably could have done better but with my run this morning I was starting to feel really drained by about mile 2 and started having problems staying focused. My calves were starting to burn and since I didn't want to give up or quit I just walked jogged walked jogged the rest of the time. My buddy took a pic of me jogging. I am just so proud of myself considering where I was even just a month ago! Yay me

jog.thumb.jpg.bed0fe65efc53a61baeca54c3a2182d3.jpg

Plans for the day don't include running :/ Don't want to get burnt out on running yet lol. I have a lot of running around to do today. Need to go grocery shopping, do laundry, probably go ahead and do a couple day meal prep, make some doggie stew for my pooches and then I am going to relax by going to the symphony! I hope to get lost in the sweet sounds of the oboe. I haven't been to one since the 3rd grade and haven't played an instrument since the 6th grade. Is it safe to say that music is in my blood? Won't be doing any weight training today just cardio after I spot my buddy after his run. I am thinking about adding kombucha to my diet. I can't make it due to lack of counter space but love that wonderful drink!!!

So I actually paid closer attention at the health food store and found a local kombucha for $2.99 pretty darn good price since all the others are about $1 more. Come to find out $2.50 of it is a bottle deposit! I can't wait to taste it and see if it will be the brand I stick with.

Ok decided to ultimately take today off from the gym and worked with my buddy instead. Was late eating lunch so had lunch and supper at once and will have a nice snack later. Storms hit so has delayed the rest of my shopping but will be going here shortly. Need to start getting ready for they symphony. Feeling really really lazy today

Feeling super beastly today!! My legs are feeling like jello right now. Changing a few things up to avoid the stagnancy of routine lol. I don't know if I mentioned this or if it was figured out but I do all my morning workouts still fasting. I can't handle the idea of lifting on a full stomach let alone lifting this damn heavy on a full stomach. Right after I lift I start drinking my protein shake while doing my cardio.

AM cardio: 3.5 @5% incline treadmill 15 min

Quads

Leg extension: 60 lbs 15 reps, 75 lbs 12 reps, 2 sets 90 lbs 10 reps

Dumbbell squats (heels up): 50 lbs 12 reps, 50 lbs 10 reps, 55 lbs 10 reps, 55 lbs 8 reps

Leg press: warm up sets: 180 lbs 15 reps, 270 lbs 15 reps, 360 lbs 15 reps working sets: 450 lbs 12 reps, 540 lbs 10 reps, 630 lbs 8 reps, 730 lbs 8 reps (my buddy did 700 lbs yesterday for 2 reps and the competitive nature between us compelled me to beat him.)

Leg extension: 90 lbs 10 reps, 2 sets 105 lbs 10 reps, 120 lbs 10 reps

Post workout

1 scoop protein powder

1/2c soymilk

Breakfast

1/2c rolled old fashioned oats

1tsp cinnamon

1½ tsp cacao powder

1c soymilk

AM snack

2 slices ezekiel flax bread

1 tbsp fresh ground PB

1/2 fuji apple

I get a call from my client's daughter telling me she finally found unfrosted poptarts for me lol. Sad news is I can't eat them.... SOOOO I am taking them to someone who can and will eat them for me not all at once but I grabbed a package to take with me. The kombucha was awesome and I seriously want to take this bottle back to get another but won't. My client is sooo worn out and sick from this cold she is falling asleep sitting up no matter where she is sitting to be honest. I actually have been fighting falling asleep myself... my body sure does want to rest after that nice hard workout this morning!!!!

PM Cardio: elliptical weight loss program lvl 5 20 mins

Chest

Dumbbell bench press: 35 lbs 15 reps, 40 lbs 12 reps, 45 lbs 10 reps

Dumbbell incline press: 30 lbs 15 reps, 35 lbs 12 reps, 40 lbs 10 reps

Dumbbell fly: 25 lbs 15 reps, 30 lbs 12 reps, 30 lbs 10 reps

Dumbbell incline fly: 20 lbs 15 reps, 25 lbs 12 reps, 30 lbs 10 reps

Roll outs: 3 sets 20 reps

Reverse crunch: 3 sets 20 reps

Lunch

1.75 oz mung bean noodles

1c broccoli

1/2 baked sweet potato

500ml kombucha

Afternoon snack

1c broccoli

Supper

1/4c dry brown rice cooked in water

1c mixed vegetables

6.25 oz tofu

Post workout

banana

1/2c soymilk

2 scoops protein powder

Yeah not a good morning by far! Overslept, running late to the gym and not being able to deal with all the wonderful things happening to those around me.... Not going into a pity party because that will only make me cry and get me nowhere.

AM cardio: elliptical 28 min weight loss program

Calves

Seated calf raise: 3 sets 90 lbs 30 reps

Donkey raise: 3 sets 75 lbs 30 reps

Standing calf raise: 3 sets 60 lbs 30 reps

Post workout

2 scoops protein powder

1/2c soymilk

Breakfast

1/2c dry rolled oats cooked in water

1½ tsp cacao powder

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1c soymilk

1 tbsp agave

Morning snack

2 slices Ezekiel flax bread

1/2 apple

1 tbsp fresh ground peanut butter

Ok today I had an unexpected calorie burn.... mowed an acre with a push mower that was being a pain in the butt!!!!!!! So my workout buddy is starting to flip out.... I think he is over trained, stressed out and needs a break. Also I about punched him for making it sound horrible that people think we are dating. I was thinking come on I am a good person wtf is wrong with me that makes me untouchable??? DICK! Yeah he is on my shit list right now.....

PM cardio: elliptical interval program 20 min

Biceps

EZ bar curl: 30 lbs 15 reps, 40 lbs 12 reps, 50 lbs 10 reps, 60 lbs 8 reps

Alternating dumbbell curls: 20 lbs 15 reps, 25 lbs 12 reps, 30 lbs 10 reps, 30 lbs 8 reps

Hammer curl: 20 lbs 15 reps, 25 lbs 12 reps, 30 lbs 10 reps, 30 lbs 8 reps

Bisolator: 3 sets 90 lbs 15 reps

Lunch

1c broccoli

1/2 baked sweet potato

Snack

1c broccoli

Supper

1c mixed vegetables

6.25 oz tofu

1/4c dry brown rice cooked in water

1 tbsp rice vinegar

1 tsp garlic chili paste

Post workout (yes I cheated)

32oz peanut butter banana crack protein smoothie (YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM)

It is fairly simple to make but just takes up to 2 weeks or longer if you flavor it. Synergy and GT are 2 popular brands. Yogi has a kombucha tea that the brew but never tried it. My favorite Synergy flavor is Trilogy and my favorite GT flavor is Gingerade.

Feeling good today slept off the mental ick of yesterday and faced the day with a new attitude!

AM cardio: fat burner program step mill lvl 5 15 min, 55 min yoga, 4 1/3 min walk on treadmill @3.0 15 1/2 min jog @5.0

Shoulders

Hammer strength Iso shoulder press: 25 lbs 15 reps, 35 lbs 12 reps, 2 sets 45 lbs 10 reps

Rear delt rope pull: 70 lbs 15 reps, 80 lbs 12 reps, 90 lbs 10 reps, 100 10 reps (could of went heavier but didn't remember to look up last weight attained on it.....)

Cable delt raise: 20 lbs 15 reps, 20 lbs 12 reps, 2 sets 20 lbs 10 reps (not a fan of these at all!!!!)

Bench leg lifts: 3 sets 20 reps

Bosu crossover: 3 sets 30 reps

Post workout

1/2c soymilk

2 scoops protein powder

Breakfast

1 1/2 tsp cacao powder

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2c dry oats cooked in water

1c soymilk

1 tbsp agave

12oz PBB crack (I notice by the time I start yoga I am hungry...)

Morning snack

1 tbsp natural peanut butter

1 whole fuji apple

Rest day... diet thrown off kilter and yeahhhhh think I should go run to clear the fuzz out of my head.

Breakfast

1/2c dry oats cooked in water

1 1/2tsp cacao powder

1/2tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp agave

1c soymilk

Snack

Kombucha

1 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch

chips

Black bean burger on wheat bun with red onions and romanine lettuce and mustard

french fries

Snack

1 1/2 apples

1 serving baguette bread

After a bad week and weekend I am ready to get things back to normal! Today will be closer to normal at least but not 100%. The gym this morning was almost a madhouse of people doing legs!! Never have I had an issue with getting on the leg press or the leg extension before!!!

AM cardio: cross country program elliptical 15 min

Quads

Leg extension: 45 lbs 15 reps, 60 lbs 12 reps, 75 lbs 10 reps, 90 lbs 10 reps

Squat: 65 lbs 12 reps, 95 lbs 12 reps, 115 lbs 10 reps, 145 lbs 8 reps, 165 lbs 8 reps

Step ups: 4 sets 10 reps

Leg press: 180 lbs 15 reps, 270 lbs 12 reps, 360 lbs 10 reps, 450 lbs 8 reps, 540 lbs 6 reps

Leg extension: 75 lbs 12 reps, 90 lbs 10 reps, 120 lbs 8 reps, 120 lbs 8 reps

Post workout

2 scoops protein powder

1/2c soy milk

Breakfast

1c soy milk

1/2c oats

1 1/2tsp cacao powder

1/2tsp cinnamon

The gym this morning was almost a madhouse of people doing legs!! Never have I had an issue with getting on the leg press or the leg extension before!!!

The guys do not like it when I am on the Leg Press because I take almost all the 45lb plates! LOL! And they don't dare say anything to me till I am done, then they are like vultures and swoop down and take most of the 45lb plates - so I don't have to rack them hardly!