This is why I do not do crossfit.

Busomjack

Wow, I've never seen the clean taught that way before.

But just because you've seen other people suck at something doesn't mean you should never try it. The HIT and Tabata workouts can be pretty intense if you like that sort of thing. (I do!).

True tho that crossfit does have a big potential for injury due to heavy olympic lifts and/or sometimes poor trainers.

True tho that crossfit does have a big potential for injury due to heavy olympic lifts and/or sometimes poor trainers.

Exactly. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with Crossfit (it has done wonders to get many people in great shape). Moreso that there are far too many crappy trainers jumping on the bandwagon who have ZERO idea of proper olympic lift technique who shouldn't be trying to teach others how to do technical lifts when they don't know proper form themselves. If anyone trains Crossfit, they should make sure that they're working with someone who is USA Weightlifting certified before taking any advice on how to do a proper clean & jerk or snatch!

Okay, I didn't watch the video until now. I see what's going on here....

They're trying to do strongman-style "continental cleans", where you clean the bar to the belly, rest it on the "shelf" of the gut, then pop up with a 2nd dip to get it to the shoulders. It's a valid way to clean in strongman contest that use an axle for overhead lifts, but it's absolutely freakin' STUPID that whoever is running that place is training ANYONE other than experienced lifters with a good history and great baseline strength to do this, and so poorly at that. Aside from the multitude of technical errors these people seem to have for the basics of the C&J, they're neither suitably built for doing a proper continental clean (the bigger the gut, the easier it is, for a small framed woman with little bodyfat, it's idiocy to be making them do this, especially without a belt to use as the shelf!), and most of them weren't even strong enough to come close to being able to jerk or press it out anyway. A terrible waste of time, but a great gimmick to make those who don't know better think that you're giving them something that's revolutionary.

This is what gives Crossfit a bad name - people who are simply trying to cash in on its popularity by throwing in arbitrary shit that is going to increase chance for injury based on the trainers not knowing how to teach the lift properly combined with having people who obviously are not experienced enough to be trying such lifts. The new trend has been to "borrow" events from strongman training, drop all that resembles decent form/technique, and make novice lifters beat themselves up doing things that won't help them reach their goals. Stupid, yes, but Crossfit is big money now, so anything goes, though apparently common sense has gone out the window. It's quite obvious when watching the poor girl in blue who is allowed to keep trying the lift over and over, despite nearly dropping the axle on her head as well as coming close to what looked like a potential shoulder dislocation from holding on the bar instead of dropping it after missing a bad jerk attempt. That's what they have bumper plates for, folks - apparently, at some Crossfit gyms, they want to pay extra for the nice plates you can drop that won't hurt the floor, but nobody wants to drop them and would rather crush their skull trying to save a lift they shouldn't be attempting in the first place!

Here's a much better showing of examples of how a proper continental clean should look:

Good post VeganEssentials.

Just from what I have seen on tv, CrossFit appears to be a good way to get in shape, both physically and cardivascularly.

But from what little I have read online from the various gyms, all the trainers recommend the paleo diet, which is very heavy on meat consumption(even for meat eaters). I wonder, are there any vegan Crossfit trainers out there?

• 4 weeks later...

That WAS painful to watch! Eek. I do crossfit. My coach would NEVER let crazy ridiculous unsafe stuff like that go on. My experience with crossfit has been nothing but positive! And I think it all goes back to my coach is simply amazing...