Vitamin B-12: Where To Get It Cheap And Vegan

There are a number of vegan professional with education and real credentials in nutrition who regularly monitor research journals. I think if something like that was even remotely true, one of those people would have brought it up. Anybody can put up a web page and I seen many bizarre sounding articles like the one you mentioned. It always turns out that the author does not have an education or credentials in what they write about or they have no evidence to back up their claims. In the meantime, not getting enough b-12 is one of the most serious health risks to vegans. Strokes, heart attacks, paralysis, nerve disease etc.

No offense to you, but I think many people would be better off forgetting what you posted, take b-12 regularly and read this well backed up article:

http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of vegan professional with education and real credentials in nutrition who regularly monitor research journals. I think if something like that was even remotely true, one of those people would have brought it up. Anybody can put up a web page and I seen many bizarre sounding articles like the one you mentioned. It always turns out that the author does not have an education or credentials in what they write about or they have no evidence to back up their claims. In the meantime, not getting enough b-12 is one of the most serious health risks to vegans. Strokes, heart attacks, paralysis, nerve disease etc.

No offense to you, but I think many people would be better off forgetting what you posted, take b-12 regularly and read this well backed up article:

http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Obviously you didn't read my post thoroughly. I never said not to take B12 regularly. I said that there is evidence to suggest we avoid the Cyanocobalamin form of B12.

And did you read the articles in VeganHealth.org which states that certain people should avoid Cyanocobalamin? If certain people should avoid it, it would make sense that it is better if everyone avoided it and used a different form of B12.

Maybe you should read more and write less.

• 1 month later...
My dr. has me on a vegan multi, as she is really concerned about folic acid and a few other things. This multi has b-12 in it. I know stuff has been posted on these boards previously about how lozenges are the most readily absorbed, but if I am already taking a vitamin pill with b12 do I need to take a lozenge as well?

Well first off, it can't hurt and it is cheap.

Multivitamins are thought as bad bets because some vitamins and mineral interfere with others. The larger pills having more binders means it is less likely that the pill will break down in time for you to get stuff out of it.

Perfect B12

You wanna get into whole food supplements

92 percent of the supplements on the market are synthetic and they are crap

Vitamin code for men and raw b12 for men is a great sources

You can buy em online for cheap

check that out

http://www.thevitamincode.com/Formulas/MultivitaminFormulas/Men/tabid/1313/Default.aspx

http://www.transformyourhealth.com/gardenoflife/vcb12.htm

only certain things will convert into b12 naturally

We use use to produce our own b12 in our large intestine, like 300 years ago

Dr brain clement made that statement

He saw a picture of a large intestine in that time frame and researched it.

We had had a small pouch around that area and it produced its own b12 naturally with a good bacteria

You can find his supplement he takes for b12, which provides your body to create its own b12 naturally

As we progress as human beings, with our bad diets, we loss our capacity to do so.

You can also take algae for b12

Like the blue green algae

i recommend the brain on version

That converse somewhat to b12

Crikey, I never thought there could be so much misinformation in one thread.

Jack Norris R.D. is a vegan registered dietitian who regularly reads nutrition journals. He isn't about selling a product and he isn't a fan of a particular diet. You can trust his information. He maintains a free online vegan nutrition book here:

http://veganhealth.org/

Norris also runs a blog

http://jacknorrisrd.com/

I'm taking berocca as my b vitamin.each tablet has 8.6 μg b12

Is this a good source/enough b12?

Aside from the fact that it has been shown to contain trace levels of aluminium, Berocca is pretty useless if I'm honest. The main purpose of a mutivitamin should be absorption and its' ability to be utilised effectively by the body (non-synthetic, organic food based minerals and phytonutrients).

Just for comparison Berocca has less than a 10% absorption rate. Compare that with a high quality multivitamin like some of the Usana range or Solgar's VM2000 and you're looking at 70+ %. These are figures that come from a fairly recent study done by two Canadian biochemists conducted on 110 of the most popular multivitamins, unfortunately the link to the study has been removed but I do have a printed version of the report for anyone interested in further details. Over 50% of the mutivitamins that were tested scored less than 10% ~ the more expensive ones did a lot better so it definately appears that you get what you pay for.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking of getting NOW B12 Methylcobalamin 1000MG tablete - do you think they will be absorbed better or I should look for another source. I'm thinking of getting B12 injections, but I've heard they were quite painful.