Freezing cold feet while cycling!!!

Hi everyone,

I joined a while ago but have posted almost nothing...I lurk a lot and get inspiration though!

Today, I have a problem I hope all the outdoor cyclists can help me with.

My plan is to continue cycling outdoors for as long as possible. I go between 26-30 km (16-18.5 mi) these days but could go longer--if my feet weren't turning into painful frozen lumps of hell at around the halfway mark.

Right now, the morning temps are about 1C/33F. In these conditions, I've got everything else figures out--my hands, head/ears, core and legs are good. The last time I went, I wore my cycling shoes and two pairs of thinnish socks...horrible.

Tomorrow, I'll try heavier shoes and two pairs of socks, at least one of which will be thick (though not wool, which while warmer, I'm horribly allergic to). But I worry. And I wonder if there's something obvious I'm missing--this is my first attempt at riding recreationally through the winter and so I can use all the help I can get!

Thanks!

If you are using cycling shoes with cleats & pedals you can try cycling booties like the ones found on the bottom of this page: http://www.velotique.com/warmers.htm#Sugoi_Resistor_Waterproof_Socks. I would advise against doubling up socks particularly if your cycling shoes are already tight. This can restrict circulation and cause your feet to get even colder. I would advise not tightening your shoes quite as tight as you do in the summer and flex/clench your toes regularly while you're riding. (Your feet/toes don't move much at all when you're using cycling shoes and this makes them get cold faster.)

Vegantri and Timetide--both excellent suggestions, thank you!

I went 20 km this morning in heavier socks and heavier, looser shoes. I was alright for longer but still got cold so will go shopping asap.

Timetide: I am also in TO and I think I've seen you at Fresh a few times. Small world.

Yep, Dreamqueen, that was probably me at FRESH. I'm often at the Bloor/Spadina location.

I used to cycle competitively (road/TTs/crits & cyclocross) and still cycle all year round. Good luck with your feet!

Thanks! I have another question, Timetide, for you...

You cycle all year--how do you deal with snow on the ground? I worry about ending up underneath a car.

As a former competitive cyclist and triathlete I'd have to say the best option is to go with toe warmers. The disadvantage with extra socks is that you often end up restricting blood flow/circulation as the shoes are a tighter fit ~ you don't get that with the toe warmers. Your local bike shop should sell them and they shouldn't be too expensive.

Thanks! I have another question, Timetide, for you...

You cycle all year--how do you deal with snow on the ground? I worry about ending up underneath a car.

There are usually only 3-5 days a year when I won't ride. (Last year the winter was so warm and there was so little snow that I didn't miss any days.)

You are right to be cautious around cars in the snow. I would ride in any amount of snow if there weren't cars in close proximity! But a big part of it is building up confidence and riding technique slowly in quieter areas before moving into heavier traffic. Also, I think some of the most dangerous times for a cyclist are when the roads are wet and it's just around freezing . . . it's very easy to be surprised by ice in that kind of weather.

There are some simple tips to help in snowy/slippery conditions: don't make any sudden moves, especially turns and don't panic-brake if you can avoid it. Surprisingly I generally find drivers more considerate in winter weather. (I think partly they respect that we're out in the elements and they're protected and warm.) But there are still drivers who don't understand how to give cyclists enough space in inclement conditions.

Anyway, those are some suggestions off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...