Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

Pretty happy right now, nailed a good 264 ATG squat last night. That's my raw PB in a meet, so with 3.5wks to go I think I am capable of 275 with which I'd be pretty stoked with.

Just putting together a video now, I warmed up then hit my planned opener of 220 (felt easy), then went to 242 (felt comfortable) and finished with 264 which was not too bad. I think for the meet I'll do something like:

ATTEMPT 1: 220

ATTEMPT 2: 264

ATTEMPT 3: 275

Good plan?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty happy right now, nailed a good 264 ATG squat last night. That's my raw PB in a meet, so with 3.5wks to go I think I am capable of 275 with which I'd be pretty stoked with.

Just putting together a video now, I warmed up then hit my planned opener of 220 (felt easy), then went to 242 (felt comfortable) and finished with 264 which was not too bad. I think for the meet I'll do something like:

ATTEMPT 1: 220

ATTEMPT 2: 264

ATTEMPT 3: 275

Good plan?

I don't know anything about competitions, nor the mindset one would get in for lifting in a comp, but if 220 was easy wouldn't you rather open with something a little heavier so that it's not such a jump in weight between lifts 1 and 2?

I don't know anything about competitions, nor the mindset one would get in for lifting in a comp, but if 220 was easy wouldn't you rather open with something a little heavier so that it's not such a jump in weight between lifts 1 and 2?

It's all about not missing that important first lift, calming the nerves and getting a score on the board. Squats are the first up of the 3 lifts, so if you miss that opener potentially you have a good chance of bombing out of the whole thing.

Why open with 100kg if it's easy? Well, two reasons really...

1) I know 99.9% I should get the lift, which will then allow me to attempt the 120 (which I'd still be pretty happy with if I missed the 3rd attempt)

2) I could open with 110kg and probably get it, but I would use more energy than I would have if I had opened with the 100kg.

Generally you want to open up with a lift that's around 70-80% of your max, second lift should be probably close to the most you've done in training and then the 3rd you can go for a PR

So 3wks to go and I'm feeling good. From now on I'll just be highlighting the key parts of my sessions rather than typing up the whole thing like I normally do.

On Friday I hit a comfortable 400 DL and last night I just did 3 x sets with my bench opener of 220. Heavy squats again this afternoon. Cheers MF.

I'm midway through a relatively easy week as far as training goes, bodyweight sitting around 141 so I'm down a little for whatever reason. I trained chest and legs on Tuesday...

4 x sets paused dumbbell chest press: last set was 75 x 10

12 or so sets of bench including 3 x singles with my opener of 220

5 or 6 sets of parallel box squats: last set was 220 x 5

Finished off with ATG squats, 132 for 5x5 (45secs rest in between each set).

Having two days off, training again tomorrow morning.

Fantastic news about the feature! Is it an interview or a profile?

Thanks mate, this one is more of a profile of who I am and what I do.

I had a three page magazine interview a few years back, that was pretty cool. It certainly helped get my name out there ~ I was a cyclist/triathlete back then though...

348_31128363719_6677_n.jpg

Two weeks until the meet and I'm feeling great! Morning weight is 141 so it's good not having to worry about making weight and/or dieting.

Rest day today and an easy training tomorrow, just anicillary moves + core work then I'm into my final heavy week where I'll test my maxes for the last time. This time next week I should be all done, ready and where I need to be.

Having a great weekend with my girls, off to the beach for some fun today!

Nice! Have a fun weekend. Let's see some solid numbers next week for your prep to give you a good confidence boost!

Thanks mate, I'm banking on that! Really want to hit a solid 264 squat, if that happens I'd like to try for 275 at the meet. I'm not worried about the deadlifts and my bench should be okay assuming I have no issues with my 220 opener haha.

Man I have eaten like a horse today, but that's okay as I decided to have an extra rest day and train first thing in the morning instead of tonight.

Felt I needed to increase my protein intake over these last few weeks leading into the meet, have been playing with my protein shake and I've finally managed to get a 400ml shake that gives me:

Cals 420

Protein 75g

Carbs 20g

Total fats 1.5g

That should help things ?!