USDA site, informational....about somethings

C.O.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=22114

This site is set up cool and I like the features of being able to categorize lists by nutritional content and alphabetically. The down side is since its government run and highly influenced by the meat and dairy industries there is no mention of foods like hemp seeds. There isn't even quinoa listed in protein which I thought was odd because its so common these days.

-Dylan

• 3 months later...

It is good that the USDA has a site which list the info. for nutritional content.

But the USDA recommendations for food intake are unhealthy. And they wonder why we have so many obese and sick people in this country.

Maybe one day they will really care about peoples health and not push certain foods because there is big money behind them.

Maybe one day they will really care about peoples health and not push certain foods because there is big money behind them.

Not likely to happen in this lifetime. Any time the government gets involved in trying to give "good" advice and recommendations, you'll usually want to do the opposite of what they say The USDA will always be in the back pocket of whatever industry lobbies the hardest, so whoever had the most money and clout at a given time will undoubtedly be who they recommend the most. Hell, if the cardboard box manufacturing industry wanted to have their product classified as an "essential food group" and paid enough money to lobbyists, I'm sure the USDA would be making sure at least 2 oz. of delicious grade-A corrugated was on every kid's school lunch tray

As you can see, I neither like nor trust pretty much anything our government pushes on us. I've worked with enough of their departments to know what a bloated, crooked entity they are, but sadly, most people still cling to the false notion that they're actually looking out for our health, safety and best interests!