Losing fat and keeping muscle on a vegan diet!?

fiffers12

Hi! I'm new to this site and I need some advice on my eating plan! I'm looking to build a little more muscle and lose a bit of fat. I know it's all got to do with my eating though. I don't eat meat because it makes me sick and I love animals too much. Although, I do like dairy like cheese, milk and yogurt but that's it. I've tried tofu and lentils but they seem to upset my stomach and I don't know what else I can eat really for protein besides nuts,beans,yogurt,milk,cheese, peanut butter and protein powder. Can I eat carbs like whole grain breads? Or will that be bad for my goals? I'm 5"9, a female and I weigh around 145 and the scale I have here at home tells me that my BF% is 29 so I'm looking to get down to 18% at least if I can go further that'd be awsome! I'm following a Jamie Eason fitness plan just not her eating plan. Does anyone have any suggestions on a meal plan I'd be able to do to get my results?? Thanks so much for any help!!!

The key to maintaing your muscle mass is to take in enough protein and also taking in enough calories from fat/carbs for your energy needs so you are not using the protein you do take in for energy instead of maintaining/repairing your body which it is intended for.

For 145lbs, 70 grams of protein should be fine, unless you are really hitting the fitness program very hard.(i am not familiar with jami eason's plan).

I wouldn't go overboard on the whole grains such a bread/noodles. But "grains" such as millet, quinoa, spelt are better options and higher in protein.(I put them as "grains" because millet and quinoa are really seeds) Also, don't forget vegetables have protein as well, broccoli for example has more protein per calorie than many meats. The dairy does have protein but I would try to limit or eliminate it if possible. Dairy is not good for your long term health.

Great advice from phyto, also check the recipe section and the training journal section here, may people also record what they are eating. If you need additional help pm me, I create goal oriented meal plans for people as a side gig.

-Dylan

Great post by phyto, I agree that the main thing is to keep protein intake high to reduce catabolism as well as optimising post-exercise muscular repair.

I'm also a big fan of quinoa. It's essentially a 'supergrain' containing more protein than any other at around 18%. To put that in perspective rice is about 8% protein and wheat is surprisingly around 14%. It's high in amino acids as well as being gluten free so it's highly digestable. It's a great complement to other grains and legumes due to the fact that they are deficient in many nutrients such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, riboflavin, B vitamins, zinc etc.

Look at getting protein from powders, oats, natural protein bars and fruits + veges. All the best MF.