Too much protein?

Hi there,

My name's alain and I'm from Europe. As I'm new here I allow myself to introduce me shortly. I'm 6'2'' high and 178 ibs, vegetarian since 6 years and working out 4 times a week. I'm not vegan but don't eat a lot of animal products. I don't eat eggs neither do I drink milk. I only eat a bit of organic quark (soft cheese 0% however you call it).

Now my questions: I just read in a non-vegetarian bodybuilding forum that a too high amount of protein can have bad effects on the kidneys and the liver. This made me worry a bit because I did a blood test one year ago and my doctor found an high amount of creatinin (a sign that the kidneys are a bit overloaded and some strange things in connection with my liver). Do anybody of you already have such problems? I've read too that non-animal proteins are not "treated" the same way by the body and don't provoke these problems. Is it true?

I actually don't eat so much protein in a day. I eat around 120 g. of it per day, coming from 1 shake of soy protein, tofu, beans and lentils and maybe 20-30 g. from cheese. I don't want to eat more because a) I don't want to sacrifice my kidneys for my muscles and b) it works for me like this and finally c) i'm afraid of eating too many soy products, as it seems to be prooven (just read it in this forum) that a too high amount of it isn't that healthy.

I look forward to get in touch with you and to read your suggestions/answers(comments.

Regards!

I think the too much soy being harmful is not conclusive either way, many of the people on this forum eat lots of soy and so far have not reported any adverse effects.

I think it takes years to develop, and excess protein can cause loss of calcium from the bones, and osteoperosis, or least that's what I've read. As for the types of protein, I don't know.

If it works for you though, xlost_alainx, go for it. I only eat about 70 grams of protein a day and I personally love it (but I'm more of a runner/cardio person than a bodybuilder).

I had adverse side effects from soy quite quick. But if you eat soy and feel like shit, you'll know you should try to avoid eating soy. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it.

The OP is asking a lot. Take a long time to give a really good answer.....

120 grams of protein a day shouldn't harm your kidneys unless you've already got something wrong with your kidneys (some disease or genetic disorder....) I don't know that vegan protein will be treated any different by the kidneys.... in general vegan stuff is less acidic, less cholesterol....???

I get 40 to 50 grams a day of protein but have gone as high as 400. If you think 120 is too much for you, I assure you, you can go lower and will be fine. In the short term you might feel slightly weaker I guess. But I've been lifting 16 years usually at at least 200 grams of protein. Only went down to 50 grams/day in the last year. Just set a PR today on chinups.

in general vegan stuff is less acidic, less cholesterol....???

I know it has less sulfur. It is probably less acidic, since beans, as whole food are alkaline (meats and diary are acidic) but I think all proteins are acidic to some degree.

but I think all proteins are acidic to some degree.

Probably, hence "amino acids", but I think that plant proteins are sulfur free, but I know that the sulfur in animal protein definitley triggers what I was talking about, the "leeching" of calcium from the bones...ironic in that sense that milk would add to osteoperosis, but I shouldn't say that too loud, wouldn't want to expose the multi-millionaire dairy lobbyists as liars or anything.

Thank you for your interesting answers.

I said a bit naively that "it works for me" but I think that it's definitely a problem. Because I can't know if I would progress better if I would eat more proteins, and I don't know if my body will give me a payback in many years because it's too much.