Maybe only plant omega 3's are beneficial? New study...

Jay

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article353286.ece

The British Heart Foundation speculated that the puzzling finding could be linked to mercury levels in fish, a possibility raised by the authors. Mercury is harmful to health and builds up in oily fish in waters contaminated with the metal.

Mike Knapton, director of prevention and care at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Until now medical research has demonstrated a benefit from omega 3 fats. More research is needed to establish why some studies have shown a slightly increased risk associated with eating very high amounts of oily fish, which is possibly related to mercury levels.

Hey Jay, it is interesting that you posted this cuz I was just about to post an email I got from pcrm on omega 3's. The following are the contents of that email.

No Benefit of Omega-3s

A new British Medical Journal study finds no evidence of health benefit from taking omega-3 supplements or eating oily fish. Researchers from the School of Medicine at the University of East Anglia and eight other institutions analyzed 48 randomized controlled trials and 41 cohort studies for the effects of long-and short-chain omega 3 fats on mortality, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and bleeding events. Results showed weak and inconsistent results with no statistically significant reductions in total mortality, cardiovascular events, or cancer among participants taking additional omega 3 fats.

Hooper L, Thompson RL, Harrison RA, et al. Risks and benefits of omega 3 fats for mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systemic review. BMJ. 2006.

Available at www.bjm.com, accessed March 24, 2006.

For information about nutrition and health, please visit www.pcrm.org.

Breaking Medical News is a service of the Physicians Committee for Responsible

Medicine, 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20016.

i'm sorry you all have to see this, but its in my local newspaper today. i already sent an email to the "journalist". here's the a link to the article and below was my response to it. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06086/677179-115.stm

Ms.Srikameswaran,

I read your piece today about the concept of consuming "healthy pig fat" in the hopes of attaining Omega 3 fats without the risk of mercury contamination. Did it ever occur to the "brilliant researchers" that people can obtain all of the healthy Omega 3 & Omega 6 fats simply by consuming flax seed/oil? It seems extremely wasteful and unnecessary to go about it through their research techniques, especially since they even point out that the pigs are being fed a diet of flax seeds. I don't mean to come across as rude, but it baffles me that this entropic approach is the standard for modern science. More like "mad sicence".

Sincerely,

David Good

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's okay David - hopefully they wont notice. And even if they do, you spelled it right the first time, so the latter is likely to be interpretted asjust a typo. Your letter is excellent. Thank -you so much for taking the time to point out the absurdity of this. David, may I also suggest that you send that in as a letter to the editor to other major newspapers in your area too?

I was watching the news last night and they did a segment on this brilliant idea. Transgenic pigs with omega three fats so as to produce healthy pork. Morons. Just gives people another reason to eat meat. Like you said David, did it ever occur to these morons to obtain their omegas threes from healthy plant sources? How truly idiotic, wasteful and ruthless this is.

The effed up thing too was what they said on the news. Something like "nature needs some help so we will now introduce omega three pigs." Um, no, nature doesnt need transgenic omega three producing pigs you morons, nature is doing just fine without them."

The ONLY positive that came out of the news segment last night was they said that eating fish to get your omega threes is not such a hit idea anymore. Any intelligent person should say in response: "okay, fish is no longer a good choice, and why would I eat more pork (arguably the most unhealthiest of all meats) when I can simply get my omegas threes from plant sources."

But the public needs to be made aware that they can get omega-3s and 6's from plant sources. (It's a well kept secret. ) It's a shame there aren't any newspapers that will take the initiative and that there are no vegan/vegetarian channels that will dole out this information 24/7.

Good link. I couldn't read the whole thing becaues I don't have an Independent subscription.

Here's another link http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-03/bmj-efo032306.php

This article focuses on studies as related to health. It doesn't discuss theories of improved mental states as a result of O3s

I've noticed I have better energy levels when I take omega3s. It's possible this is merely psychological, or could be that O3 levels have a strong effect on me

But the public needs to be made aware that they can get omega-3s and 6's from plant sources. (It's a well kept secret. ) It's a shame there aren't any newspapers that will take the initiative and that there are no vegan/vegetarian channels that will dole out this information 24/7.

I actually hear it quite a bit in veggie channels, certainly more recently for sure. However, the public at large is always fed a heavy dose of meat industry doctrine across the major media and it's sometimes hard for people to overcome that deafening roar and find the alternatives when that's all they see day in and day out in the mainstream. It becomes gospel and stories like this appear and get reinforced...aargh!!!

-Matt