Greg's Powerlifting Training Journal

Dynamic bench. Going through some things now and I have a lot on my mind. As a consequence of my overactive mind, I have a tendency to not eat as much. Skipped three meals so far today. Gym time isn't really helping me out at all, but the last thing I need is an excuse not to do something that I've worked so hard to achieve. Keep on keepin' on, I suppose.

Bar x 20 x 2

95 x 15

135 x 12

185 x 3 x 2

185 + 40 lbs. chains x 3 x 4

185 + 80 lbs. chains x 3 x 4

Overhead press 115 x 8 x 4

Orange band single arm press down 12 x 4

DB. lat raise 30 x 8 x 4

Doubled average band standing crunches 50 x 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been through the same thing man, it bogs you down and takes away from your workout and what you've worked for. If I could get even close to some of your numbers I would be stoked. Its wicked to see another powerlifter on here, definitely motivating.

It's equally motivating to see others that are living a similar lifestyle. In terms of body weight to the pounds that you're lifting, you're doing incredible things. I wish that I was as strong in my overhead presses as you are.

Maybe you could look at taking some 'stress' herbs? I'm doing the same at the moment and it has really helped, both with the training & the mind. I'm thinking things like rhodiola, withania and a good dose of magnesium before bed would help. Just a thought mate MF.

Thanks for the idea. I already take magnesium in the morning so maybe I'll switch that out and take it at night. I'll try looking at GNC tomorrow to see if they have the other two.

I skipped squat night on Friday. I don't feel good about it, but I hadn't slept in about 30 hours at that point and didn't want to risk injuring myself. Everything went pretty smoothly with benching tonight. I just really want to hit 500 in this meet in December.

Bar x 15

95 x 12

135 x 10

185 x 5

225 x 3

275 x 1

Add shirt + Madball

385 for 1/2 rep

2 board 435 x 2 x 2

1 board 445 x 2

Leverage row 160 x 8 x 4

OH press 95 x 10 x 4

Take the magnesium at night as that's mainly when the body absorbs it, should also help with sleep as it acts as a muscle relaxant. I'd be looking at about 500mg/day mate.

That's what I have been doing in the morning. I'll try switching it up and taking it at night. Thanks for the advice!

Pulling today. My spirits are a little higher and I've been getting a little more sleep. Sometimes it's necessary to realize that no matter what happens in life it will go on. I did get an internship that I applied for with Natural Resource Management at my school which got me thinking that the Aces in life don't come at the same time.

Still working my way to the floor with the blocks

Blocks + 15 lb. rubber plate ~3"

135 x 10 x 2

225 x 8

315 x 5

Add belt and suit straps up

365 x 3

405 x 3

455 x 2

495 x 2

All are moving pretty quickly. Three inches was about where I hurt my back a while ago pulling in a suit. This was a good way to break through a mental block.

ATG squats 185 x 20

Wide grip pull down 150 x 6 x 4

Standing crunches with heavy band 30 x 4

Medium grip seated rows 150 x 6 x 4

Good pulling mate, that will be good for the confidence no doubt.

I'm going to go back to the blocks after my December 1st meet as I want to work on being able to pull 440 from the floor by the time my other meet comes around in April.

With your progress, I'd say that's perfectly attainable. I can't believe that you pull that much more over your body weight. That's insane!

Dynamic benching today.

Bar x 15

95 x 15

135 x 12

185 x 8

225 x 5 x 5

Did some pressing off of boards afterwards. My friend John started an equipment line and gave the gym his A Series Boards. It's pretty convenient when you don't have enough people to spot and hold the boards. http://www.ironlandequipment.com/ Sorry about plugging all of my friends :/

265 x 5

275 x 5

OH Press

125 x 5 x 3

Dropset 115 x 10

BB Shrugs 385 x 10 x 4

EZ Bar press down 75 x 8 x 4

DB Front raise 35 x 6 x 5

With your progress, I'd say that's perfectly attainable. I can't believe that you pull that much more over your body weight. That's insane!

Cheers mate, I'm pulling abt 3xbw now but that's reasonably comfortable. I always think us smaller guys have it harder as once the weight is off the floor we don't have the bodyweight to help keep it moving upwards. Bloody physics!

Check this out mate and see what you think, this is my version of pulling off blocks. I had to make my own ones up lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cGtqTRXkU

I filmed this video a few months back, there's an hours worth of deadlifting that's been cut down to a little over 11mins. I finished up on pulling 440lb (a little over 3 x bw) off a couple of 20kg plates

Check this out mate and see what you think, this is my version of pulling off blocks. I had to make my own ones up lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cGtqTRXkU

I filmed this video a few months back, there's an hours worth of deadlifting that's been cut down to a little over 11mins. I finished up on pulling 440lb (a little over 3 x bw) off a couple of 20kg plates

Super solid! Being a powerlifter definitely makes you a little more creative with your workouts and set ups, haha. That's similar to what I have except that I have 2" blocks and then throw a rubber plate on top. You have to work with what you have.

One thing that I noticed about your setup, and this could just be because of the angle or because you were pulling from blocks, was that your arms were limp before pulling and as a result it looks like you might have had to fight the weight twice. I used to have this problem a lot before someone pointed it out. If you grab the bar and pull yourself down toward it, it'll set your shoulders back and pull the slack out of the bar. This isn't as much of an issue until you get to big boy weight like you're doing now. If you watch the video it's less apparent on the first attempt than it is on the second, but you can hear the initial slack being rung up and then when the bar is actually set in motion. You've got all the power you need to pull something big, so I'm just wanting to see you get the most out of it! Stoked to see how you do in competition!

Did some accessory stuff today. Occasionally I'll add these days in when I miss some of the stuff that I normally like to do because I'm short on time.

Bent over cable rows 90 x 12 x 4

Smith machine elevated calf presses 315 x 10 x 4

Abductor/Adductor machine 120 x 12 x 2

EZ bar curls 75 x 10 x 4

Fat bar narrow grip underhand row 120 x 10 x 4

Cybex ab machine 120 x 12 x 4

Neck extensions with 25 lb. plate 10 x 3 (I'm not stopping until I have a 19" neck)

Forearm work

For those Americans out there, Happy Thanksgiving! For everyone else, I hope you all have a great weekend and get to see everyone you love!

Thanks for pointing that out, yeah I think I have corrected that now. I always try to take the slack out and put tension on the bar just before I pull now, seems to help as well.

Cheers mate, always valuable to get help and feedback from others that are in the same sport. Appreciate that

It's the only way to learn, really. Try as we might, you can never fully see everything that someone else will so it's always great to get feedback. Having people tell me what I do right and wrong is the only way that I've been able to progress.

Thanks for pointing that out, yeah I think I have corrected that now. I always try to take the slack out and put tension on the bar just before I pull now, seems to help as well.

Cheers mate, always valuable to get help and feedback from others that are in the same sport. Appreciate that

It's the only way to learn, really. Try as we might, you can never fully see everything that someone else will so it's always great to get feedback. Having people tell me what I do right and wrong is the only way that I've been able to progress.

Spot on mate, completely agree

Pulling today. I decided to just go for the throat on this one and stop using the rubber plates to add distance between the bar and the floor. Today I just pulled from blocks (~2") and I'm happy that I did. My hips are sore from a seven mile hike I did yesterday, but I managed.

135 x 10

225 x 8

Add belt

315 x 5

Add stupid orange suit, straps up

365 x 3 (wanted to make sure this felt okay and didn't have trouble getting down to the bar)

405 x 3

455 x 3

495 x 3

This was a big PR and I'm extremely happy about how easy it was.

Speed pulls, straps down

365 x 5 x 2

Narrow pull down 165 x 6 x 4

One arm row (cable machine) 90 x 6 x 4

Standing crunches w/ black band 30 x 4

Prowler pushes w/ 100 lbs. x 40 yards (estimate) x 6 (30 second rest)

Good work on the PR mate, especially after the big hike. Imagine what you could have done on fresh legs haha.

I felt like I could have done more after 495, but since that was my goal I figured that I had put in my work for the day. My training partner John said that I should have gone up to 545, then 585 for singles, but I didn't want to tempt fate since my hips were sore from trudging through the sand. The hike was well worth it though!