Newish...and full of excuses

m.lee

I've been watching this board for over a year. I get all excited to start up with a good routine, then I feel like I don't really fit in here. So I try a different board more toward my fitness goals only to feel left out because of my eating lifestyle. Blerg.

Basically, I want to get thin without the work. Is that so much to ask?

I am a chubby vegan. I am a single mom to two young children. I just bought my real estate company and work A LOT. And quite honestly, I'm exhausted. I go to a personal trainer for circuits or kettlebells once a week. I always mean to get to the gym a few times more a week, but rarely do. I play soccer in the spring and fall seasons on an adult league, play ultimate frisbee all through the summer, and bike about 1000 miles a year. I can't get behind bodybuilding (like my brother) because of the routine and the rules and the being married to the gym. My kids are my #1 and my other areas of life fit in close behind.

So there you have it! A whiney, chubby mom!

If anyone knows where I could fit in to this forum for some advice on what to do and how to do it in 3 half hour sessions a week, I'm all ears. I'm intimidated by the bodybuilding board, but I really do want to get off my duff and start working toward the body I want. The body I never had in my 20s and would love to have in my 30s. I'm in a small town with no Crossfit type stuff and I don't have much money to throw down on additional personal training sessions. I do have access to two gyms though. So if anyone wants to help me, I would really appreciate it!

My diet is good, but not great. Breakfast is usually a green smoothie. Lunch is a veggie sandwich of some sort and a small salad. Snack would be two apples and too many almonds (like three handfuls), dinner is some rice, veggies, black beans, fake cheese and tortilla strips then another snack of apples And hot tea. I also have a few beers a week. Yeah. It is obvious where they cuts need to happen. I have a hard time mid afternoon and also with socializing.

sounds a hell of a lot better than some of the crap I eat haha, where I have two jobs and have college I just eat when and what I can so usually loads of chips (fries) and sandwiches

nothing wrong with a few beerssss (there's even a beer thread on the forum )

what's the green smoothie like? I have a juicer at home, I know it's not the same as a decent blender but I used to have some great recipes for it

hahaha, very entertaining outlook. Your meals sound okay, definitely better than the avg american (dont get me started). You're definitely going to need to exercise if you expect to get real results and feel good as well. I think you are probably less lazy than you think. Lazy people don't even take the time to seek out advice like you have.

-Dylan

What is your opinion of getting little bits of exercise through the day instead of full blown work outs? I did sign up for kettle bell sessions every Wednesday in addition to my usual circuit on Friday. I have an office now, so I've been squatting, planking, and doing push ups when I'm the only one in the office. Waiting for the day when a client bursts through my office and I'm planking in a suit...

Anyway, do you think that does anything? Little 3 minute spurts of exercise several times a day? If it does, I'll stick with it, but I have a feeling it is nowhere near the benefits of the 30 minute HIIT or weight training session.

Also, it is cold. It got REALLY cold this week. What do you do when you can't bike or play? I have my trainer, but I can't use my basement until we repour the concrete. Also the bike trainer is boring as could be. Bundling up and walking the dog has been about the only cardio I've done for a couple of weeks.

Oh! And the smoothies are great. Some are super simple: 4 handfuls of spinach and 2 bananas. Some are crazy: banana, a pear, spinach, kale, frozen berries, pineapple, whatever. I usually don't do any protein powders or milk substitute. I bought a Vitamix a couple of years ago and it is my most blessed of appliances. I would ditch my stove before that thing.

I think the small workouts throughout the day do a lot more than doing nothing. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish though. They won't help you reach an in-shape level of cardio fitness and they won't work your muscles hard enough for growth. That being said I am still a firm believer in get in any exercise you are able to.

-Dylan