turning mrbear into a mountain!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trek looks nice, what model is it? Guessing from your seat height you must be pretty tall? Here are my couple of bikes...

195_10797823719_5377_n.jpg

195_10798293719_1622_n.jpg

The yellow Jeff Bruce is a custom bike that's mainly been assembled from Colnago/Campag parts but I'm running DuraAce on it. The red Avanti has been set up more for my Ironman/triathlon side of things. Funny thing is that the yellow one is probably faster!

its a trek 2.1 with black 105 groupset, leopard tour de france colours, i like to pretend im fabian cancellara when im on it haha yeh im 6'4 hence my seat lol

you got a big chainring on the jeff bruce bike! good pics mate, check out those biceps! do you still do much cycling?

That top pic of me on the Jeff Bruce bike ~ I also liked to pretend I'm Fabian Cancellara! That shot was taken just after I'd gone off the front during a city criterium race. Managed to hold 60kph on my own for a 1km lap before I got caught and I think I ended up finishing more or less dead last haha. My tactics are pretty shit sometimes.

Nah, don't ride much at the moment just because of the powerlifting. I find I need to focus completely on whatever sport I'm doing but I do miss the cycling. I was always best in the hills because of my low bodyweight, windy conditions and TT's I was useless! How about yourself, where do you normally ride and what kind of courses do you prefer? Do you race at all?

This was probably one of the races I was most proud of Mike, got away with 5 or 6 guys and we worked together for the first 90km before I dropped them at the start of a hill and rode the last 40km on my own as I got stuck in no-mans land.

"130 km sealed circuit cycle ride which takes cyclists through some of the most stunning scenery the West Coast of New Zealand has to offer. Starting from Greymouth, cyclists ride along the edge of the Tasman Sea then turn inland at Kumara Junction. The ride climbs through alpine rain forest to Inchbonnie, the half-way point. Cyclists then head north for a breathtaking ride through the stunning scenery of Lake Poerua, Rotomanu and Moana, which are nestled between the spectacular Southern Alps and tranquil Lake Brunner. Climbing out of Moana, cyclists follow an undulating and winding course through the picturesque Arnold Valley to Stillwater. A final flatter ride beside the banks of the Grey River takes cyclists back to Greymouth."

Managed to finish 20mins behind the overall winner with an average speed of 35kph on a reasonably hilly, windy course so I was pretty chuffed. But I could never quite find that extra gear to hold onto the faster packs at the front, bloody hard sport aye

Anyway I'll shut up now haha. What are your plans for next year, you gonna do some bike races or anything or do you just enjoy training for the love of it?

471589441_130kmhillrace.jpg.55be0e0e3216b80c1f22f2bad7fa58bb.jpg

another cancellara fan then, hes a beast isnt he. haha cool i bet its fun racing? kinda scary too i would imagine, bikes everywhere!

yeh it is hard to mix the two, im not riding much at the moment due to the weather so ill just pump iron all winter and cycle in the spring i think. i dont race i just ride for training really, i love nothing more than being on my bike on a sunny day. i love hilly courses which usually means the scenery is nice too. i do some long rides 70-80 miles but its usually 40miles or so with a load of hill repeats thrown in.

theres big steep hill about 6 miles from where i live its .75 of a mile long i love going there and riding up and down as fast as i can

this is the view from the top of the hill, its also a rspb bird sanctuary

stack.jpg.1a8730011b131e3ab87061d42eb22d55.jpg

i bet its gorgeous cycling in new zealand, i would love to do a race but its so hard like you say, im kinda the wrong build really so ill probably just stick to doing my own personal races up hills. it makes me lose weight real quick too so if i make some pr0gress with weights this winter without injuries i may do a little less cycling and hold onto to my gains do you see yourself racing again?

yeh its beautiful place theres steps all the way down to that light house and you can stop to watch the birds on the cliffs. aalot of rare birds there.

weekend is good so far thanks, just relaxing and eating! what about you? any plans?

Edited by mrbear666

Yeah, it definately is great for weight loss.

Will I race again? Hmmmm, maybe when the kids are older and I have more time to invest. That was one of the reasons I stopped as I wasn't able to get out at the weekends for my usual 3-5hr ride. I'd race but just more for fun and fitness I guess. New Zealand is beautiful to cycle in, I've got some stunning photos of back when I was riding but I won't crash your thread anymore haha. Wales is great too though, I've biked around Holyhead and Snowden a few times and thought it was lovely.

yeh thats the thing with cycling it takes so much time training ton get good, unlike gym work. ill have to get some more photos of the things i do i havent got any lol

this is weird, i live in holyhead go to snowdon quite often on my bike, engined one tho! in the car for a drive sometimes when i can afford the fuel

Yeah, that's a little weird lol. I did a 5 day, 500 mile bike ride once when I was living in the UK. Started in the Midlands, can't remember the exact route but I went through Liverpool, Holyhead, Cheltenham and some other places I can't remember right now. I would have been about 18 at the time and it was pretty epic!