Feel strange eating mock meat?

robert

Does anyone else feel a little strange eating mock meat foods? For me it's not that they look or taste a bit like real meat, but when I eat something like tofu Salami, I am afraid people will think that it is meat and I don't want to be associated with it.

It's not just that people in my community know me as a vegan bodybuilder and will think I'm "cheating" on my diet, it's just the fact that I don't want anyone, stranger or friend to think that it could be meat that I'm eating.

So I feel a little awkward (sp) or strange eating tofu hotdogs and things like that in front of others.

Does anyone else have the same feelings? Or am I the only one eating tofu turkey in the dark

I know what you mean Rob. I have had co-workers approach me and say "I thought you were a vegetarian" or "oh, so you eat chicken."

I have sometimes wondered what others are thinking, but just didn't say anything. But I work for a small company, less than 30 people, I think everyone knows by now I don't eat meat. I have worked here 4 years.

If anyone says anything, I just use it as an opportunity to introduce them to a new food they may not have realized even existed.

I do not let it bother me. there is two ways to view this.

1. people might associate you with eating real meat and think you were not strong enough to stay vegan.

or

2. you can tell that same person that it is actually fake meat and see their suprised reaction at how good it looks and smells.

I have made a lot of people question whether they can eat a veggie diet by just cooking my fake meats at work for them to smell and see. People need to know that there are very good tasting alternatives out there to meat.

Yeah, I see what both of you mean. I just don't like to eat it in front of certain people.

I share my vegan lifestyle with others so often that I just don't always have the energy or explain myself "one more time" so I just avoid certain circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I love to educate people, but every single day I have to defend or explain my way of living and it can be exhausting. I'm sure some of you know what I mean and have been in that situation.

On top of that, being a bodybuilder and a vegan, I feel like I have to say the same things over and over and over to each person I meet. I'm nice and friendly by nature so I usually take the time, but there have been sometimes when I've just given them a business card and told them to check out my website (because I didn't have the time, energy or desire to go through my daily explanation one more time).

Most people who know me, know that it is fake meat, but I just keep it out of sight in certain situations, that's all. Saving myself time in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I see what both of you mean. I just don't like to eat it in front of certain people.

I share my vegan lifestyle with others so often that I just don't always have the energy or explain myself "one more time" so I just avoid certain circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I love to educate people, but every single day I have to defend or explain my way of living and it can be exhausting. I'm sure some of you know what I mean and have been in that situation.

On top of that, being a bodybuilder and a vegan, I feel like I have to say the same things over and over and over to each person I meet. I'm nice and friendly by nature so I usually take the time, but there have been sometimes when I've just given them a business card and told them to check out my website (because I didn't have the time, energy or desire to go through my daily explanation one more time).

Most people who know me, know that it is fake meat, but I just keep it out of sight in certain situations, that's all. Saving myself time in the long run.

LOL You should come up with a shirt that sums up the same speech we all have to give from time to time.

I don't mind mock meats. I'm like some of the others though in that my coworkers have known me for a while (since 1997) and they know I don't cheat. I get a lot of crap from my family though because they don't understand and they don't try to understand- so sometimes when I have to go to a cookout or family function I just make it easier on myself and eat before I go and just tell them I've already eaten so I don't have to go through explaining myself to them for the five millionth time.

I do not let it bother me. there is two ways to view this.

1. people might associate you with eating real meat and think you were not strong enough to stay vegan.

or

b2. you can tell that same person that it is actually fake meat and see their suprised reaction at how good it looks and smells. [/b[

I have made a lot of people question whether they can eat a veggie diet by just cooking my fake meats at work for them to smell and see. People need to know that there are very good tasting alternatives out there to meat.

Thats what I do mate.

I literally am eating a pack of soy hotdogs all the time. everyone I come in contact knows I'm vegan. even people I dont know. somehow word gets around. and it's kidna neat that the more I eat in front of people, the more people accept veganism and see that vegans don't just eat "grass, salads and icecubes". People then ask me questions about going vegan, diet tips, workout tips, etc.

so I say you shouldnt feel guilty. be proud to be who you are. and dont hide your actions.

Yeah,

I know what you guys mean.....And as I stated, I do talk to people and educate people about what I'm eating all the time, it's just that SOMETIMES it wears me out and I just don't want to have to be constantly defending who I am everytime I eat something.

So around certain groups I'll still avoid eating the mock meat to save time and energy (as I stay quite busy like most of you and don't have all that extra time to talk to people who don't really want to listen in the first place).

But for the most part, I do the same as many and go through the same OLD questions over and over. I probably get it a little more than most people as well because I pretty much wear some version of my Vegan Bodybuilding t-shirts or hats everyday, so I get asked about it......of course I do understand that is an invitation for conversation which is my intention, it's just that sometimes I might feel weird wearing the VEGAN shirt while eating what looks like a "hotdog." If that makes sense?????

Anyway, keep on promoting veganism and get one of my shirts to wear around too and direct them to the website to learn about US and what we eat.

ahh I get what youre saying. sometimes I get tired of having to defend myself too. but as each day passes, I not only get physically stronger, but mentally too. And I find the strength and/or time to defend. but if youre really in a rush or are too worn out, why not just hand out a business card or redirect them to a vegan site? sometimes when I am really busy and people are constantly messaging me, I will redirect em to a site that answers their common questions. just a thought.

hey,

I am wearing the white collared vegan bodybuilding shirt you sent me. I wore it tonight to an engagement party. I got just about everyone there talking to me about it and your site. it was pretty neat.

Awesome man! Thanks for wearing the shirt around. I got your e-mail as well, and I really appreciate it.

About talking to people...........yeah I do normally give them a business card and tell them to check out the site if I don't have time.....you know like at the gym wearing my shirt and people ask me questions and I'm in the middle of training and then have to leave in a hurry to go eat and get on to other things, that is when I just direct them to the site and welcome them to e-mail me, etc.

I'm glad to hear you are getting lots of e-mails too..........welcome to my world. I love it though, tons of e-mails come in from all over the world and it's just a nice feeling knowing that the work that I do has some sort of positive impact on people.

I'll send more business cards and other stuff to you.

Also, to anyone else..............if you are interested in promoting Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness.............see my post under General Discussion and e-mail me [email protected] and I can send you some info to pass along to others.

Time for more food! Gotta go eat now.