Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Stronglift 5x5 LOG
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:05 am 
Manatee

mrbear666 wrote:
nice vid captfit i like the green weight discs! might paint mine :lol:

haha i guess the gym owner wanted to keep the place vibrant with the colors , the 5kg one is blue , 10kgs Green and 20kgs Magenta .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 am 
Manatee

@ VR

The bars we have are 17kgs not standard 20kgs so it makes the increments slightly confusing when adding 2.5 kgs . So just for the convenience of keeping things simple while logging i dont add it .

Looking fwd to ur 120kg vid . I am only going to post a Dlift video now when i reach my body weight that will be around 2 weeks from now :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 am 
Elephant

nice, it certainly does brighten it up! i just typed delhi into google images, what a cool place, some of the buidlings are amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 am 
Manatee

Oh Yeah its really amazing more so because there's a lot architecture influenced by Mughals and British empire so the fusion of it really gives a unique touch to the city .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am 
Elephant

yeh it didnt look how i thought it would thats for sure, would like to go there one day!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm 
Gorilla

captfit wrote:
I was having some trouble with the Overhead Press specially for the last 2 reps so for my 4th and 5th set i asked for a spot and i could complete my 5 reps easily .The Spotter just gave the initial push from the bottom position and i completed the rep from there . So now just a quick question or an opinion i'd say is it okay to lift with a light Support in OHP for a last set or two increasing weight every workout or simply repeat the same weight till i can get through all the weights comfortably myself ??

You should not use a spotter for OHP. When you are getting help to start the weight up at the bottom, you are cutting the workload of the shoulder muscles which is the whole point of this press.

In fact, the only time your spotter should ever lend assistance is to keep you from injuring yourself. The spotter should never just make the rep easier so that you can complete a set. For squats, set the safety pins so that if you can't lift the bar you can just drop down and let the bar hit the pins. For deadlifts, you can just drop the bar if you can't lift it - same for rows. For OHP, if you can't lift it, just rest the bar on your torso and rack it. In my opinion, the only time you should ever use a spotter is on the bench press so you don't crush yourself. The spotter should only act when you can't push the bar up yourself, and then the set is over.

Some tips for OHP:
Do your set as fast as you can, don't pause at the top or the bottom. "Resting" in these positions actually requires energy.
Try breathing at the top instead of the bottom (if you aren't already doing so):
Breath deep and hold the breath, tightening up your core. If you are pressing in a rack, gab the bar and take a small step back and press it. Don't take to long to set your position, it will sap your strength. Breath out as you near the top of the motion and then take a quick short breath in as you hit the top and start to come down. You should be holding your breath again before the bar gets to the top of your head. As soon as the bar touches your chest, push it back up again, touch and go. Repeat.
Starting the first rep from the rest position is actually the hardest because you won't have any stretch reflex going on. I think that once the weight gets really heavy, a little bounce to start the set is OK, as long as you are strict with your form for the rest of the set. However, you shouldn't even think about this until you are down to only doing 1x5 on the OHP instead of 5x5.

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 am 
Manatee

@ asparagus

Thanks a lot for the tips mate , yes i wasn't doing the breathing on top and actually after every rep i was setting the bar on rest position taking in a breath and then going up which was a little difficult . Maybe i'l just try with an increased speed and the breathing thing when i do them again on Saturday .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 am 
Manatee

29/11/12
WEEK 6 WORKOUT #15 A

SQUATS
Bar x 10 ,8 x10kg, 5x30kg
5x5x45kg

BENCH PRESS
Bar x 10 , 8x15kg
5x5 x 27.5kg

BARBELL ROWS
5x5 x 27.5kg

Dips
Bodyweight 7,7,5
Finally Dips strength coming up , did all sets without assistance machine and really happy with it .

I was doing the pendlay rows version for BB rows and letting the bar down completely felt kinda unnatural to the motion so just did touch and go's type will try and tape it for feedback next workout .

Post Workout Meal - 2 Brown Bread+ Paneer ( Indian Cottage Cheese ) + Shake( 350ml Toned Milk + 15 Almonds + 2tbspPeanut Butter + few spoons Oats + 1 BAnana )
Total = CAlories : 1006.5 Fat:52.4g Carbs : 102.4g Protein : 44.0g

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 am 
Manatee

Quick question i was just going some threads here and well just got this idea how about if i do some creatine supplementation , i mean just wanna know if any one has done it ?
I can do with some extra stamina as they say it works out that way .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Elephant

i could never tell if the creatine was working or if i was just getting stronger anyway. maybe i was expecting too much from it, i tried a few different types a few years ago. wont bother again personally think its overrated and cant do you much good to be honest. maybe it works better for some than others tho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm 
Gorilla

I have not used any supplements other than a bit of protein powder to supplement my diet. However, the only time I've had a protein powder drink in the last 6 months was late at night when I didn't feel like preparing any food and I needed to eat something (and that's only been a few times in that time span). I also think the creatine supplementation is not necessary. Your body will eventually adapt to the lifting you are currently doing. I think it's better to adapt naturally, so you know what your body can do as it is. Once you have a year or more of straight strength training completed with good results you can think about it again and decide what supplements you need. As a beginner you shouldn't use any, just eat enough good food!

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:41 pm 
Elephant

yeah lots of good quality food is way better than any supplement, especially long term!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 am 
Manatee

01/12/12
WEEK 6 WORKOUT #16 B

SQUATS
Bar x 10 ,8 x20kg, 5x30kg
5x5x48.5kg ( 65.5kgs)

Overhead Press
Bar x 10
1x3x22.5kg
5x5 x 15kg

DEadlift
1x5x30
1x5x60 ( 77kgs total with BArbell )

The workout was mixed one today i did my Personal Best on Squats today and struggled a bit on the last rep of last 3 sets . Could feel my Quads and Hams stretch on every rep .

Next came Overhead Press warmed up well but was very tired from Squats but still loaded the weight for this workout and bummed out in 3 reps . I just decided to deload and work on form , i am in no hurry to get hose nos and i got down to 15kgs from 22.5 , Will build up from here . Was very dissapointed over the failed attempt and deload of weight .

So to get over the negativity instead of the scheduled upgrade from 50kgs last time to 55kgs this time i put in 5 more and now it was standing at 60kgs+Barbell so today i finally reached my Body weight in Deadlift , the form could have been a little sloppy as the weight did feel heavy , but at least something to cheer up about .

Although really pissed about the OHP :( .

Last edited by captfit on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 am 
Manatee

I was not adding the weight of Barbell to my lifts as of now but i guess that causes confusion for others and me as well . So these are my current updated lifts :

BENCH PRESS - 44.5kgs
BARBELL ROWS - 44.5kgs
OVERHEAD PRESS - 32kgs
DEADLIFT - 77kg
SQUATS - 65.5kg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm 
Elephant

good work on reaching your bodyweight in the deadlifts! its always a nice motivator to be able to lift your bodyweight i find. dont worry about the over head press it will come, just keep pushing and concentrating on your form like your doing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next