My Stronglift 5x5 LOG

Thanks for the amazing tips i am trying to soak in every word of it and maybe i should put up a small note on the leg drive thing so i always keep it in mind , i will try a slightly lower hip position in my next workout and will try and get the video for the same as well hopefully that will give me a better picture of what suits me better . Once again thanks for checking it out and you really rocked the 200kg Dead ! That is a huge no for anyone .

No mate i did not miss your feedback i started cheking out that monster video of you DeadLifting 200kgs

Haha, well I was pulling from a couple of plates. Still gotta work up being able to pull that weight from the floor, I have a meet in 1.5wks time so I reckon have about a 190kg in me right now, maybe 192.5kg if I'm really having a good day.

Looking forward to seeing your next video, keep up with the training.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn i have to miss my Stronglifts workout it seems this week , the hotel i am staying till weekend has only Dumbells and machines . no barbells so instead of trying to use dumbells for squats and deadlifts i'd rather do a small cardio session with a mix circuit workout kinda thing running through all the machines just to keep the body worked up , any suggestions ?

Okay so did a light workout some cross trainer , over 50 Push ups and just to give in a cheat workout i'd say i did some biceps curls and triceps extensions but with a very light weight . Will get back to my Stronglift workout on Monday where its a 50 kg Deads Day ( without barbell ) and have to try and recover from the stalled overhead press from last workout .

Enjoy your sunday everyone

27/11/12

WEEK 6

WORKOUT #14 B

SQUATS

1x5x Empty Barbell . 1x5x20kgs , 1x5x30kgs

5x5x42.5 kgs

OVERHEAD PRESS

5X5x20 kgs

DEADLIFT

1X5X20 , 1X5X30

1X5X50 kgs

I was having some trouble with the Overhead Press specially for the last 2 reps so for my 4th and 5th set i asked for a spot and i could complete my 5 reps easily .The Spotter just gave the initial push from the bottom position and i completed the rep from there . So now just a quick question or an opinion i'd say is it okay to lift with a light Support in OHP for a last set or two increasing weight every workout or simply repeat the same weight till i can get through all the weights comfortably myself ??

Here's the Deadlift video from today's workout , Total 67kgs ( 50kgs Plates + 17kgs Barbell ) , the entire set was going smooth until some jackass came right in front of me to pick up some plates i really wanted to give him left and right over there but decided to let go , you can see him in the end of the vid . Feedbacks feebacks now !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG_IpqeEyzk

Good form mate, getting heavy now eh? :P how come you don't count the weight of the bar? Oh and that guy that walks in front of you is a bloody idiot, had similar problems with people in my gym before.

As for the shoulder press, I would say a light spot was fine, I use dumbbells for this and its quite difficult to get into lifting position when they're heavy so a spotter is essential.

Take care bud

@ VR

The bars we have are 17kgs not standard 20kgs so it makes the increments slightly confusing when adding 2.5 kgs . So just for the convenience of keeping things simple while logging i dont add it .

Looking fwd to ur 120kg vid . I am only going to post a Dlift video now when i reach my body weight that will be around 2 weeks from now

I was having some trouble with the Overhead Press specially for the last 2 reps so for my 4th and 5th set i asked for a spot and i could complete my 5 reps easily .The Spotter just gave the initial push from the bottom position and i completed the rep from there . So now just a quick question or an opinion i'd say is it okay to lift with a light Support in OHP for a last set or two increasing weight every workout or simply repeat the same weight till i can get through all the weights comfortably myself ??

You should not use a spotter for OHP. When you are getting help to start the weight up at the bottom, you are cutting the workload of the shoulder muscles which is the whole point of this press.

In fact, the only time your spotter should ever lend assistance is to keep you from injuring yourself. The spotter should never just make the rep easier so that you can complete a set. For squats, set the safety pins so that if you can't lift the bar you can just drop down and let the bar hit the pins. For deadlifts, you can just drop the bar if you can't lift it - same for rows. For OHP, if you can't lift it, just rest the bar on your torso and rack it. In my opinion, the only time you should ever use a spotter is on the bench press so you don't crush yourself. The spotter should only act when you can't push the bar up yourself, and then the set is over.

Some tips for OHP:

Do your set as fast as you can, don't pause at the top or the bottom. "Resting" in these positions actually requires energy.

Try breathing at the top instead of the bottom (if you aren't already doing so):

Breath deep and hold the breath, tightening up your core. If you are pressing in a rack, gab the bar and take a small step back and press it. Don't take to long to set your position, it will sap your strength. Breath out as you near the top of the motion and then take a quick short breath in as you hit the top and start to come down. You should be holding your breath again before the bar gets to the top of your head. As soon as the bar touches your chest, push it back up again, touch and go. Repeat.

Starting the first rep from the rest position is actually the hardest because you won't have any stretch reflex going on. I think that once the weight gets really heavy, a little bounce to start the set is OK, as long as you are strict with your form for the rest of the set. However, you shouldn't even think about this until you are down to only doing 1x5 on the OHP instead of 5x5.

@ asparagus

Thanks a lot for the tips mate , yes i wasn't doing the breathing on top and actually after every rep i was setting the bar on rest position taking in a breath and then going up which was a little difficult . Maybe i'l just try with an increased speed and the breathing thing when i do them again on Saturday .

29/11/12

WEEK 6 WORKOUT #15 A

SQUATS

Bar x 10 ,8 x10kg, 5x30kg

5x5x45kg

BENCH PRESS

Bar x 10 , 8x15kg

5x5 x 27.5kg

BARBELL ROWS

5x5 x 27.5kg

Dips

Bodyweight 7,7,5

Finally Dips strength coming up , did all sets without assistance machine and really happy with it .

I was doing the pendlay rows version for BB rows and letting the bar down completely felt kinda unnatural to the motion so just did touch and go's type will try and tape it for feedback next workout .

Post Workout Meal - 2 Brown Bread+ Paneer ( Indian Cottage Cheese ) + Shake( 350ml Toned Milk + 15 Almonds + 2tbspPeanut Butter + few spoons Oats + 1 BAnana )

Total = CAlories : 1006.5 Fat:52.4g Carbs : 102.4g Protein : 44.0g

i could never tell if the creatine was working or if i was just getting stronger anyway. maybe i was expecting too much from it, i tried a few different types a few years ago. wont bother again personally think its overrated and cant do you much good to be honest. maybe it works better for some than others tho

I have not used any supplements other than a bit of protein powder to supplement my diet. However, the only time I've had a protein powder drink in the last 6 months was late at night when I didn't feel like preparing any food and I needed to eat something (and that's only been a few times in that time span). I also think the creatine supplementation is not necessary. Your body will eventually adapt to the lifting you are currently doing. I think it's better to adapt naturally, so you know what your body can do as it is. Once you have a year or more of straight strength training completed with good results you can think about it again and decide what supplements you need. As a beginner you shouldn't use any, just eat enough good food!

01/12/12

WEEK 6 WORKOUT #16 B

SQUATS

Bar x 10 ,8 x20kg, 5x30kg

5x5x48.5kg ( 65.5kgs)

Overhead Press

Bar x 10

1x3x22.5kg

5x5 x 15kg

DEadlift

1x5x30

1x5x60 ( 77kgs total with BArbell )

The workout was mixed one today i did my Personal Best on Squats today and struggled a bit on the last rep of last 3 sets . Could feel my Quads and Hams stretch on every rep .

Next came Overhead Press warmed up well but was very tired from Squats but still loaded the weight for this workout and bummed out in 3 reps . I just decided to deload and work on form , i am in no hurry to get hose nos and i got down to 15kgs from 22.5 , Will build up from here . Was very dissapointed over the failed attempt and deload of weight .

So to get over the negativity instead of the scheduled upgrade from 50kgs last time to 55kgs this time i put in 5 more and now it was standing at 60kgs+Barbell so today i finally reached my Body weight in Deadlift , the form could have been a little sloppy as the weight did feel heavy , but at least something to cheer up about .

Although really pissed about the OHP .

Edited by captfit

I was not adding the weight of Barbell to my lifts as of now but i guess that causes confusion for others and me as well . So these are my current updated lifts :

BENCH PRESS - 44.5kgs

BARBELL ROWS - 44.5kgs

OVERHEAD PRESS - 32kgs

DEADLIFT - 77kg

SQUATS - 65.5kg