Any hints on breaking free of softdrink addiction?

JW

I'm able to break free every now and then, but like most vices...once you have one or two...........

I'm a bit of a sweet freak...always have been

I refuse to ingest aspartame and I really can't afford the HUGE amount of calories in sugar laden soft drinks (counterproductive to my bodybuilding goals) aaaaarrrghhhh!!!! (cry of disgruntlement, dismay and just all around frustration)

Somehow I've gone from loving them to literally hating them. I've haven't had a full glass of a soft drink in years. Even when extremely thirsty and that's the only thing around, I can't drink them.

I think because they just don't actually satisfy thirst. And I drink to satistfy thirst.... They just leave this syrupy taste in your mouth. Eck!

I was addicted for years! I had heard aspertaime was bad for you but only had vauge info and never bothered to do the research (prob didn't really want to know). Then I read "Skinny Bitch" and she had all the info on it. Scary stuff!!!! I immediately switched to Green Tea instead. I kept my stash of Diet Pepsi for a month "just in case". Which was the way I quite smoking....knowing I could have it if I really wanted it, but abstaining anyway. I didn't go into the stash and haven't looked back.....oh I take that back. I had one thru a drive through about 4 weeks after not having any....massive headache! Now I keep a tray of bottled water in my car at all times.

The lady who wrote the book refers to it as "liquid satan".

Once you're away from soft drinks for a while (except for some health food store brands that don't have as much stuff in them), they really taste aweful when you try them again!

Try water! If you don't like it plain, then add some Emergen-C or some liquid stevia extract (Vegetarian Times had an ad for some new flavored liquid stevia that was made just for this purpose). Find some tasty herbal teas (like chocolate mint) that you like and keep a pitcher in the fridge.

Also, just think that soft drinks have absolutely no redeaming value, and in fact have a negative impact on health.

I quite over a year ago, and thinking back I still can not believe it. I read about the acid level and insulin affect and quit, in one day. I still missed it, with certain foods, until a few months ago, when I found a good substitute - mineral water. The carbonated fizz of mineral water completely made me forget sodas. So that might be worth a try. Now you might want to not go overboard. Since mineral water is very alkaline, I am concerned that too much with a meal might dilute my stomach acid (humans, being closer to herbivores have weak acid - hehe) retarding my foods digestion.

I quite over a year ago, and thinking back I still can not believe it. I read about the acid level and insulin affect and quit, in one day. I still missed it, with certain foods, until a few months ago, when I found a good substitute - mineral water. The carbonated fizz of mineral water completely made me forget sodas. So that might be worth a try. Now you might want to not go overboard. Since mineral water is very alkaline, I am concerned that too much with a meal might dilute my stomach acid (humans, being closer to herbivores have weak acid - hehe) retarding my foods digestion.

Eat fresh ginger root. It really gives your stomach a good workout. It also makes the stomach produce alot of acids. Plus it tastes good

• 2 weeks later...

I was also addicted for years (12 years of drinking 2 liters of diet pepsi a day) One month ago I decided to stop because of the aspartame. I stopped cold turkey now I only drink water,green tea and coffee . It was hard but now I don't crave it at all and I had a sip of 7/up the other day and I didn't like it (too sweet) So now I'm soft drink free and very happy about it!