a hello from one of them artsy types

ExquisiteCorpse

Just wanted to finally introduce myself after quietly perusing these forums for years...

So, hi guys. The name's Katie and it's a pleasure to meet ya.

I'm a recent vegan convert after being a vegetarian for about four years. While not a fitness fiend by any means, I have always been a consistent distance runner and hiker. (Basically, a lot of cardio with no strength training to speak of.) Recently, I've become more interested in beginning some form of strength training to help prevent some of the injuries I've already begun to encounter while working on pottery. I'm currently a student majoring in studio art with a concentration in ceramics and am realizing the long hours spent bent over a potter's wheel have already started to effect my back and my wrists. (My hands shake and my wrists are beginning to make some interesting cracking noises, eek.)

My muscle strength has never been all that great (probably due to an inconsistent diet and a lack of any non-cardio oriented exercise), and I've had a bit of a slouch since I was in my mid-teens (I'm now 22). I'm hoping that developing more strength in my back can counteract the forward bend and force I exert while throwing on the wheel.

Anyways, while the most common answer I've received from anyone I've asked is to stop with pottery, I'm determined to make it work.

My diet has always been a bit inconsistent and probably unbalanced. :/ Whoops. So, I'm here to begin a necessary lifestyle overhaul so that I can keep doing what I love and learn to be a healthier individual along the way. And hey, you guys are an inspiring bunch, so it seem like the best place to do it. I've always admired the dedicated members of this community and reading your informative posts has already been so helpful in giving me the push towards the vegan lifestyle I've always felt reflected my thoughts on what it means to be a humane and ecologically conscious person.

I think targeted strength training is a good idea for you. I also think that you should give yourself some rest time between potterying haha I know that can't be what its called. Obviously doing the same motions over and over without rest isn't the best idea. Welcome to the forum. Pick some people's brains by posting on their threads too.

-Dylan

Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Haha, nah, it's not called potterying. It's called throwing as in, "I'm throwing a bowl" or "I'm going to throw a cup." This leads to a lot of confusion when talking with people who don't work with clay because it sounds like I'm constantly breaking things and perhaps have some anger management issues.

I'll definitely be doing a lot of brain picking around here.

Exquisite corpse was a sort of group drawing game played by surrealists where a sheet of paper is folded into sections and each person has to contribute to the drawing's whole. The trick is that each person can only see the last section of the drawing when they start, so the results are usually pretty odd, surreal even (hah, I'm not so good at the jokes either).

I just really like the name, always makes people look at me like I'm slightly nuts when I mention it in conversation.

And I'm in the New Haven, CT area.

Exquisite corpse was a sort of group drawing game played by surrealists where a sheet of paper is folded into sections and each person has to contribute to the drawing's whole. The trick is that each person can only see the last section of the drawing when they start, so the results are usually pretty odd, surreal even (hah, I'm not so good at the jokes either).

I just really like the name, always makes people look at me like I'm slightly nuts when I mention it in conversation.

And I'm in the New Haven, CT area.

Phew, really didn't know what you were going to come back with there !!