Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, one of my friends did it and emailed it to me. Thought it looked pretty cool!

Trained at Eastside yesterday, will write the session up later today. Was probably around 90% max, but pretty happy with how it went. I always seem to be quite strong about a week after a meet, worked up to deadlifting 400 x 2 for a couple of sets, felt really good and they came up fast. Squatted 264 before that which felt comfortable as well. Back down to about 143lb bodyweight now after spending most of last week up around 147.

SATURDAY 8th DECEMBER

BODYWEIGHT: 143

TRAINING TIME: 9pm

DURATION: 90mins

WORKOUT COMMENTS: THIS WAS A CRAZY IDEA, WANTED TO SEE IF I COULD DO IT

WEEK: INSTINCTIVE

RESTING PULSE RATE: 50

APPETITE: AWESOME

MP3:

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/10085-1/Symphony+X+-+Paradise+Lost.jpg

SQUAT + DL NIGHT

ATG SQUATS (WEARING SQUAT SUIT WITH STRAPS DOWN)

BAR x 10

BAR x 10

88 x 6

132 x 6

176 x 6

220 x 3

242 x 2

264 x 1

DEADLIFT MADNESS

132 x 10

132 x 10

220 x 6

308 x 3

352 x 1

374 x 1

400 x 1

400 x 1

START AGAIN...

132 x 6

220 x 3

220 x 3

308 x 3

352 x 1

374 x 1

374 x 1

385 x 1

Sometimes you just have to take it to the well, seriously there's only so many times you could do a workout like that. Took me a few days to recover from it.

Have had a couple of crap nights sleep, got up at 5am this morning rather than continue to lie in bed and get frustrated about not being able to sleep. So coffee machine is on, new music has been loaded into the MP3 and I'm getting ready to hit arms and maybe some heavyish incline bench as well. Legs should have been next, but seeing as this is the first time I've done a morning workout in ages I think I'll save legs until tomorrow night. I'm often not that strong first thing in the morning, maybe it's simply due to not having a full day of eating behind me? Oh well, we'll see what goes down.

Here's the new protocol which will run over 12 weeks. Starting sometime towards the beginning of January once I know what date the Canterbury Champs are ~ usually falls around mid April

MON: SQUATS

TUE: BENCH

WED: DL

THU: REST

FRI: LEGS w SQUAT VARIATION

SAT: CHEST w BENCH VARIATION

SUN: BACK w DL VARIATION

WEEK 1: SQUAT (ME) / BENCH (MEDIUM 80%) / DL (LIGHT 70%)

WEEK 2: BENCH (ME) / DL (MEDIUM 80%) / SQUAT (LIGHT 70%)

WEEK 3: DL (ME) / BENCH (LIGHT 70%) / SQUAT (MEDIUM 80%)

WEEK 4: Hypertrophy, as well as focus on ancillary moves/speed/technique

Here's the new protocol which will run over 12 weeks. Starting sometime towards the beginning of January once I know what date the Canterbury Champs are ~ usually falls around mid April

MON: SQUATS

TUE: BENCH

WED: DL

THU: REST

FRI: LEGS w SQUAT VARIATION

SAT: CHEST w BENCH VARIATION

SUN: BACK w DL VARIATION

WEEK 1: SQUAT (ME) / BENCH (MEDIUM 80%) / DL (LIGHT 70%)

WEEK 2: BENCH (ME) / DL (MEDIUM 80%) / SQUAT (LIGHT 70%)

WEEK 3: DL (ME) / BENCH (LIGHT 70%) / SQUAT (MEDIUM 80%)

WEEK 4: Hypertrophy, as well as focus on ancillary moves/speed/technique

I can't really speak to this as the only strength training experience I have lies with Stronglifts 5x5 and Wendler's 5/3/1. I haven't gotten to the point that I think I can set up a program better than either of those. Both of them really work for me, so I see no point in changing the main tenets of my workouts.

I'm assuming by "ME" you mean main event so you'll be lifting those at 90% or higher? High singles, lower doubles/triples, combinations of both?

Good luck!

This looks like the cube method that Brandon Lilly has been on for a while. I've been trying to find the ebook online, but can't seem to find a pdf.

It's similar, although IMO my programme is a little simpler.

I replied in your journal, but if you PM your email address I'm more than happy to send 'The Cube Method' through to you buddy

Got a big squat session to type up, was quite happy with how that went yesterday.

Great weekend so far, on Saturday I drove the girls up into the hills above Christchurch as it was a hot Summer day. They loved it up there!

14510_10151204199358720_527299864_n.jpg

Then we drove down into Sumner which is a little seaside town, bought them an ice cream each and took them to the beach. Awesome day

Benching this afternoon and looking forward to it.

Will write up my training later, had a GREAT chest and squat session last night.

Didn't want to go heavy with the chest work, the aim was to move some good weight for reps. Paused bench I hit 176 x 6 and then 200 x 4, both felt really good. The incline dumbbell presses after about 10 sets of bench were also pretty good. Finished off with ATG squats and continuing to feel strong I worked up to attempting a 130kg ATG squat ~ NAILED IT. Must be doing something right I guess

So it's a couple of weeks before I settle into my new programme, can't wait. Aim this time around is to come in as close to the weight limit as possible and be the strongest I have ever been ~ I can total 900+ at 139 so I'm hoping to get close to a 1,000lb total at 145 bodyweight

Slow bulking at the moment, about 143 right now and looking to take myself up to about 147-148 over the next month or two.

That view is AMAZING. I'm incredibly jealous you have summer right now...our winter is so far just rainy and miserable. All of our igloos are melting

Looks like a solid program you've set up for yourself. I'm excited for the competition just reading about you planning for it lol I can't compete, so I live vicariously through you haha

What made you decide to move up in weight?

I'm only taking my bodyweight up to what I'm allowed, I'll still be competing in the 130-145 class. The April meet is always really competitve so I'll need to be at my strongest if I want to win the thing. Goal in my last meet was to win it and pull a 3xbw deadlift, this time will be to win and get close to a 1,000lb total. Having an extra 6lb of muscle on me should make a big difference.

And yes I'm very lucky living in such a beautiful part of the world! Hope your weather brightens up soon MF.

Awesome! Looking forward to reading it!

And dam nz looks amazing, there's a certain place on the isle of wight where you can see the sea in almost all directions, I should get a photo and get a "where you're from" thread going

You not posting all your lifts bud? Also.. Nice!! 130kg squat, that's badass for the 5/3/1 programme I've lowered squatting weight a fair bit