Rossco's journal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just going to go in and train arms, legs should probably be next but I'm often not at my strongest first thing in the morning. I'll save them for tomorrow night instead.

Bought a load of new music yesterday so looking forward to working my way through some of that, the hard part will be deciding what to listen to. Something heavy I think woohoo.

Ha I had a coffee before training but it just made me pee 3 times and fairly crap throughout my workout.

As I planned I went light on deads with fairly high reps, some jerk told me I was doing them wrong/my form was bad and that I wasn't doing the deadlift as one complete motion, he thought he would say this to me mid pull to which I replied "looks fine to me mate..." Pretty sure he muttered some shit but I'm not bothered. Anyway

Deadlifts

50 Kg x8

70 Kg x8

80 Kg x8

90 Kg x8 this was a killer

60 Kg x 12 so was this lol. Left about a minute or so rest between sets.

Overhead press

25 Kg x10

35 Kg x10

40 Kg x8 PB

45 Kg x5 PB calculated one rep max is 52Kg woohoo, mite test it to make sure at some point next week.

20 Kg x12

Shrugs, some guy gave me pointers on my form so I've got them down now

20 Kg x12

22.5 Kg x 12

25 Kg x12

30 Kg x 12

30 Kg x8 grip gave out

3 light sets of high reps on seated rows (machine)

This got me through the ohps

That sounds good but.. My gym has a health and safety policy in which no one is allowed to move the dumbbells from the free weights area :/

My grip is definitely getting better though, from hanging on pull up bars and holding deadlift on the last set.

I'm feeling fantastic right now I genuinely feel strong, just put away some linda mccartney pies and now I'm watching worlds strongest man! Looking forward to fridays benching

Loved Rammstein song! Ok why do are the toes jointed out during deadlifts???? That would totally kill my knees unless I was doing sumo squats. Honestly just seeing that makes my knees hurt.....

Actually when the weight gets heavier it's actually slightly easier on the knees if the feet & knees are 'ducked' slightly outwards (same goes for squats). Mark Bell explained it really well on one of his DL videos ~ I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it into your journal. Pretty informative

Yeah his back rounds a little, guess that's to be expected as he's pulling 950lb hehe.

Actually, it's just his upper back that rounds. His lower back is straight - that's what's important when pulling. Some lifters keep a straight upper back as well, others let it round.

Not up on YouTube yet although I'm sure it won't be too far away. This is the guy that normally uploads all of them, there's some great stuff on his channel...

Definately worth checking out if you have some spare time Ross

I'll make it the first thing I do tomorrow off to bed guys and gals! Night all

Yeah his back rounds a little, guess that's to be expected as he's pulling 950lb hehe.

Actually, it's just his upper back that rounds. His lower back is straight - that's what's important when pulling. Some lifters keep a straight upper back as well, others let it round.

Ah okay, just seems like whenever I'm deadlifting I'm really worried my upper back is rounding ahha didn't know that it wasn't important for it to be totally straight

Ah okay, just seems like whenever I'm deadlifting I'm really worried my upper back is rounding ahha didn't know that it wasn't important for it to be totally straight

The trouble with letting your upper back round is being aware of where your mid-lower back starts and making sure that keeps straight. For me it is easier to just try to keep the whole back straight. Keep taking vids of your pulls and look at your lower back. If you're able to keep it straight even when the upper rounds on heavier lifts then you're in good shape. However, if you notice that the rounding starts to creep lower then work on pulling with a completely straight back. I try to keep my back straight by tightening my core, bringing my chest up and pulling my shoulders back. It doesn't always work on my heaviest pulls and I end up rounding a little anyway.

I try to keep my back straight by tightening my core, bringing my chest up and pulling my shoulders back. It doesn't always work on my heaviest pulls and I end up rounding a little anyway.

Exactly how I do things as well

You can't get an accurate picture from the front, so I'd suggest that you get any of your heavier DL's filmed from the side. At least for a while until you feel you have your form and technique down solid. Just my 2c of course Ross.