Greetings from Denmark!

exciton

Hey Exiton,

Are some of your friends vegans or vegetarians in Denmark? You should encourage them to join our group too

You can show them the magazine feature. I hope to travel over there again...maybe in 2007 or 2008.

I know there was a pretty good vegetarian/vegan community in Copenhagen in Christiania.

Have a great day,

Robert

Hi Robert,

No, unfortunately I do not have any veg* friends. As a matter of fact, all throughout my life I have met only very few Danish vegetarians. To be exact, I think the number is 2. None of these guys considered ethics as part of their motivation for being vegetarian -- It was merely a question of disliking the taste of meat. I have, however, recently heard that there should be a vegetarian at my new workplace. I am curious to investigate this situation.

Well, I think you are right about Christiania -- some of the people out there definitely are vegetarians. You have probably already heard the story about Christiania (i.e. it's an old hippie place).. so some of the folks out there have integrated some of the eastern philosophy into their lifestyle. Sadly, however, this is a minority, and in general the Danes eat a lot of meat.

I am looking forwards to meeting you in 07/08!

All the best,

Niels

Hey Exiton,

Are some of your friends vegans or vegetarians in Denmark? You should encourage them to join our group too

You can show them the magazine feature. I hope to travel over there again...maybe in 2007 or 2008.

I know there was a pretty good vegetarian/vegan community in Copenhagen in Christiania.

Have a great day,

Robert

• 1 month later...

Hey, Niels, why don't we see you on the boards?!! Plus, I'd like to know your workout routine and diet -- you are in great shape!

You don't have to create a journal; you can respond to this post and post an example of your food and workout in my journal, if you want

Hi Raven,

Yeah, I know. I really should participate in the discussions. It will come, but I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment. This also implies that I don't have a workout routine... only workout _guidelines_. (Actually the last time a had a workout program was 6-7 years ago.) If things were ideal, I would opt for a three-day split.. but in my present situation, I use a simple principle stated by Arnold: Do some kind of training every day. Soo.. since I have a bench and squat rack at home, it tricky NOT to do something.

Usually i do something like: Bench press, one-arm rows, squats, incline db press, standing military press, chin-ups ad libitum (ad nauseam). For some reason I do a few sets of concentration curls every day... come rain or come shine. I can't help it.

Basically, my diet looks like this:

Breakfast:

200 grams oats with water

20 g soy protein isolate

Lunch:

100 g rice

125 g red kidney beans

73 g tofu

1/6 cucumber

Some artichoke hearts & olives

Dinner:

20 g soy protein isolate

150 g Falaffel

100 g brown/white rice mix

One avocado

Some seaweed

Soy sauce

+ lots of bananas, oranges, carrots,

almonds, cashews, figs and oatmeal between the

main meals. I also eat a multivitamin supplement.

Hm. Think thats it .

Thanks for your comment, btw.

You display a very nice biceps! -- I just browsed your journal.

Take care,

Niels

Hey, Niels, why don't we see you on the boards?!! Plus, I'd like to know your workout routine and diet -- you are in great shape!

You don't have to create a journal; you can respond to this post and post an example of your food and workout in my journal, if you want

Okay, being busy is a good reason!

Thanks so much. It really helps to read what big guys like you eat. One of the comments that comes up when talking to (especially) men is that one can't get "big" on a vegan diet or fears that they will lose their size, etc.

So it 's good to have some examples of in-shape guys with muscle and size, and know what your diets are. Not too many men post a food log.

My biceps...Thanks, I'm working on them

Hi Raven,

You are very welcome. I am not a "big" guy, though -- it's all an illusion. I think my lifestyle would have to change radically if i ever wanted to actually get big. Nevertheless, by adding moderate amounts of muscle to exposed areas such as shoulders, chest, underarms, one can relatively quickly create this illusion. For me, this more or less came out of the wash in what was originally an attempt to gain strength (not size).

Best regards,

Niels

Okay, being busy is a good reason!

Thanks so much. It really helps to read what big guys like you eat. One of the comments that comes up when talking to (especially) men is that one can't get "big" on a vegan diet or fears that they will lose their size, etc.

So it 's good to have some examples of in-shape guys with muscle and size, and know what your diets are. Not too many men post a food log.

My biceps...Thanks, I'm working on them

I _know_ you have biceps

If you browse "classic" books on bodybuilding by Arnold and/or Frank Zane, I think you will discover that they mention the importance of the illusion. For instance if your waist is really narrow and your shoulders are wide relative to the waist (but not necessarily wide in absolute measures) you will appear wide. This illusion can be produced(enhanced) by twisting your torso when posing:

http://www.geektimes.com/michael/site/archive/2003/10/images/schwarzenegger.jpg

...of course Arnold was wide by any measure, but it's just to illustrate the concept

Just an illusion? Okay. I do know a picture is worth a thousand words, but it also doesn't tell the whole story I mean, you actually think I have biceps!

Hmm. A wide waist... I'm afraid I might not be the right person to ask about this. I'm genetically "gifted" with a narrow waist -- (but genetically cursed with being a hardgainer). Nevertheless, up to a certain point cardio will help in this situation, wouldn't you agree? And targeted high rep training of the abdominal obliques would probably also be a good idea.

I don't even know what kind of _person_ Arnold is -- I just know that he was a champion bodybuilder. And I'm not really sure I agree with you on your opinion on his forearms, but we can still be friends .

Hmmm...what can be done for a wide waist ?

Am I bad if I don't like Arnie?

Admittedly a good pic, though.

~but small forearms...~

... I don't even know what kind of _person_ Arnold is -- I just know that he was a champion bodybuilder...

Fair enough. Unfortunately, I know more than I want to about him; he's our governor

...And I'm not really sure I agree with you on your opinion on his forearms, but we can still be friends.

Governator Arnold. Yep, that was probably not his smartest move.

... I don't even know what kind of _person_ Arnold is -- I just know that he was a champion bodybuilder...

Fair enough. Unfortunately, I know more than I want to about him; he's our governor

...And I'm not really sure I agree with you on your opinion on his forearms, but we can still be friends.