NEW here, looking for some GUIDANCE

mad05c

HELLO!!! A little about myself...I am a freshman in college and have been weight training throuhout high school. I am very skinny and have been looking and researching on gaining muscle for years now. i am 5'8' and weighed 150lbs with about 12%bf. After switching to a raw diet 2 weeks ago, i lost 10lbs and now weigh 140lbs. i am very disappointed as i thought raw foods were better and would give me some muscle gains, i want to stay raw becasue i like the way i feel and look(acne cleared up alot) but my body is even smaller now!!! any advice, guidance , tips or support would help!! thanks.

Welcome!

Bulking on Raw is REALLY hard. So I have a couple of questions for you. Are you high raw or 100%? I understand you have had some great results going raw. Were you Vegan before Raw? If you were were you eating any processed foods before Raw? Are protein shakes something you would consider?

no i am not 100% raw. throughout high school , i did the whole high caloire and protein diet where i would eat tons of chicken , pro shakes, carb shakes, oats, brn rice, wheat....after reading more and more about cooked foods and chemicals i went organic for about 6 months and now i am transitioning to raw in hopes that my body can use better nutrients and better sources of food. as far a protein shakes.... i was consuming hemp protien shakes but it was more pricey then the gnc type powders.

That makes it much easier! The results you spoke of I have heard many times from people going from SAD to Vegan, primarily those who stay away from processed foods.

My take on Raw to date is:

Raw foods = more nutrition for most foods. As foods are cooked and depending upon how they are cooked many will begin to lose some nutrients. When cooking steaming or grilling is preferable, stay away from boiling anything.

BTW I am high raw.

Are you aware of your caloric intake currently or your protein intake? What does your current routine look like?

my caloric intake is too low, i know that, its about 2000kcals of raw, not ideal. although back in jan/feb i was eating 5000-6000kcals and just seemed to be gaining fat. i feel like high caloric diets make you fat and that lack of muscle is a workout/gym problem. i dont know. i also think high caloric diets have alot of complex carbs like rice, oats, bread and denatured protein like powders and cooked meats and eggs that are all very harsh to the body and hard to digest. isnt quality better then quantity?.....less kcals on raw is better than more kcals on SAD? i know i need more kcals but i am new to raw and dont know exactly which foods to eat.

Welcome to the forum!

You'll have a great time here.

Feel free to post specific questions in areas such as Nutrition and you will find more responses than you will if they get tucked away in the intros section.

This is where we say WELCOME!!!!

Great to have you over here and feel free to explore the forum and you'll find lots of great advice, suggestions and information all over the place.

Welcome Aboard!