Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: *NEW* Vegan Health & Fitness Magazine!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 pm 
Rabbit

lol...

its funny the dots used to annoy me when other people did it...but now I do them...its easier than having a period and then having to deal with capitalizing the next letter.

But I can also write absolutely correctly if I need to. I will make an effort, while on your site, to use good punctuation from now on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Rabbit

As a non-vegan I "ate up" everything Oxygen and M&F Hers dished out over the years (you MUST have meat, eggs, dairy!) and really trusted them. I know, my bad.

Now as a new Vegan I see everything differently and I'm pretty jazzed that someone had the guts to start a magazine that gives straight information that is in line with all the medical information I've recently learned through Forks Over Knives and Dr. Fuhrman. I'm sure they'll get the typo thing worked out, but in the meantime I am SO GRATEFUL for a magazine that features fit (even muscular) vegans, has protein rich recipes, workout tips and so much more.

I talked about the magazine last week on my blog, I think "Vegan Health & Fitness" fills a much-needed gap and I want to help bring them as many subscribers as possible so they can continue!

They are already in a lot of stores across the country, many Whole Foods are already carrying them: http://www.veganhealthandfitnessmag.com/where-to-buy/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm 
Rabbit

I know what I forgot to mention in my first comment, does anyone else find it really inappropriate to have a full page photo glamorizing 2 people wearing leather and fur in a vegan magazine??? I mean the photo of Derek and Marcella. It's a great photo, and I much admire their being vegans and what they do for the cause. But, to me, its not at all appropriate as a full page thing and I'm sure people reading the magazine will notice their "clothing". (If the leather and fur are faux then I think it would necessary to have a note on the page indicating that no animals lost their skin for the photo)
I don't mind it in the background in their living room photo because its not prominent and can go unnoticed, its just the full page one that really bothers me. Don't we vegans frown upon all the beauty and fashion magazines that promote fur and leather and make it look cool?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

I have seen that photo a hundred times and never even noticed that.

Good point. I didn't realize that until you pointed it out.

It is just the first ever issue of the magazine and I know it will continue to improve over time. The next issue should be out in less than a month, I believe. Not sure exactly when, but I know it is coming out soon. I'm excited to see what it looks like.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 pm 
Manatee

I totally saw the magazine, took a picture of it on the magazine rack at my work, went home and purchased a subscription, and now use it as a dissemination tool to help guide people away from animal products, and into health-promoting Vegan ones.

I noticed right away what Derek and his wife were wearing in that photo and wondered what it was. When I read that he's actually not Vegan but plant-based, I assumed it was leather. It is a stunning image, the two of them look phenomenal! It's a great plant-base promoting tool. However as a Vegan, that in a magazine which is supposed to represent and promote our standards of ethics, bothers me a lot. It's another sign that the definition of Vegan is being watered down just like the meaning of vegetarianism. For many people, Veganism is what ever they want it to be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 am 
Site Admin

I was at Derek's house a few weeks ago. He and his wife are vegan. I know those photos in the spartan outfits were taken a few years ago. I am not totally sure if they are real leather or not. I'll be seeing Derek and Marcella again soon and I could check in with them.

Perhaps those are vegan outfits, or it was overlooked or unnoticed when the magazine was being put together. I used to have that photo up on the front of VeganBodybuilding.com. I never noticed what appears to be leather or animal products in the photo, and apparently neither did Richard who put the image up on the site. So it seems to get unnoticed, but glad it was brought to our attention.

Looking forward to the next issue of the magazine. No idea what it will look like, but I'll find out when I get my copy in the mail or when I see it in stores, whichever comes first based on where I am at the time.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:39 am 
Manatee

Ah, the clarification is much appreciated. I could have sworn it was written in a little bio of him that he went plant-based for results, health or something, and he's happy it has the added bonus of helping animals. I didn't mean any disrespect, they have my admiration. I do believe that even if they're not wearing something Vegan that the image does more good than harm because I see peoples reaction when I tell them they can bulk up on plant-based proteins & show them this photo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Admin

His wife got into animal rights a long time ago, and turned him onto it years ago. I've known him for 2-3 years and he's been vegan the whole time. Stayed at his house each of the past two years while traveling. :)

We'll see what the next issue of the magazine brings. No idea what's going to be in there, aside from one or two individuals who told me they were interviewed.

So cool to see it at Whole Foods Market stores around the country :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:29 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

robert wrote:
I was at Derek's house a few weeks ago. He and his wife are vegan. I know those photos in the spartan outfits were taken a few years ago. I am not totally sure if they are real leather or not. I'll be seeing Derek and Marcella again soon and I could check in with them.

Perhaps those are vegan outfits, or it was overlooked or unnoticed when the magazine was being put together. I used to have that photo up on the front of VeganBodybuilding.com. I never noticed what appears to be leather or animal products in the photo, and apparently neither did Richard who put the image up on the site. So it seems to get unnoticed, but glad it was brought to our attention.

Looking forward to the next issue of the magazine. No idea what it will look like, but I'll find out when I get my copy in the mail or when I see it in stores, whichever comes first based on where I am at the time.

Did you ever find out Robert?

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 am 
Manatee

Just subscribed!

Thanks for the *bump* forklift

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Forgot all about it, so I don't know what those outfits were made of. Derek is on the forum though, so anyone can ask him directly. I just glanced at a friend's winter issue, but I'll be getting mine in the mail soon I'm sure.

Just wrote my article for the spring issue. It was a fun article to write!

Maybenot, thanks for subscribing. Hope you like the magazine!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:44 pm 
Manatee

I can't wait to see articles on Whey and DHA/EPA sources! I'm so sick of hearing about how important it is to eat that shit! Working in a health food store, it would prove invaluable, as I could show it to customers :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm 

Mina wrote:
I can't wait to see articles on Whey and DHA/EPA sources! I'm so sick of hearing about how important it is to eat that shit! Working in a health food store, it would prove invaluable, as I could show it to customers :)

I manage a health store as well, we sell an algal omega 3 which has great levels of DHA/EPA. I've been using it for about 4 or 5 months and reckon it's great ~ I get all of our customers onto that one instead.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 pm 
Manatee

That's awesome! Which one, and what are the levels of DHA and EPA in it per softgel, how much per bottle, and how many services? Problem is, I have no data on why algae is better for your health than fish oils (almost all our customers are incredibly selfish that way), and so I try to sell them the algae oils, but its like $20-30 for no more than 30 serving and very low in EPA & DHA. Then they look at the one by solgar, their triple strength one, has at least 30 servings if not 60, it's on sale for $14, with 950 mg of combined EPA/DHA, and with Dr. Oz telling them they need mega doses.. without reliable data & studies, I lose that battle :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm 

I'll post up a pic and the info for you, but it's a New Zealand product so probably not easy for you to get hold of :?

Per capsule
Microalgae oil 833mg
DHA 200mg
EPA 100mg
Vitamin D3 2.5mcg (100IU)

Image @MiniForklift