Howdy y'all from Spring, Texas!

Amethyst8

Hello you beautiful people,

I'm Rebecca and I live in Spring, Texas, but commute to Houston (no, I don't ride a horse to work) for my day job as a litigation and real estate legal secretary. I essentially sit on my rear for a living and have been for the last 10 years in the legal field, but I do love my work so much and my attorney bosses are seriously the best ever. So even though I've been a vegetarian going on 10 years turned vegan going on 3 years, I'm carrying around way too much weight for my 28 year old body.

I was always an overweight child raised on fast food, frozen dinners, and all sorts of poor excuses for food that would spike my blood sugar and make me feel icky. By 12 years old, my self esteem was so low and my weight was so high that my mother set me up with a personal trainer at a gym thinking that if I just learned how to exercise I would be fine and healthy. I loved the gym and my trainer so much and even set a goal to be a body builder when I grew up, but we were unable to afford the gym after a few short months. I went back to the normal routines of life because that was what I knew.

When I went out on my own at 18, one of the first things I did after getting my sedentary legal field job and my own apartment was go vegetarian. I had never liked eating animals anyway, but I also found that I had more energy as a vegetarian. Later I would learn that I have incurable Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, a major energy sucker and it makes my metabolism sluggish. I tried going vegan a couple of times over the years but finally went for real about 3 years ago after reading Skinny Bitch. I also gave up all soda (thanks to Skinny Bitch) and most sweets, with the occasional exception of a vegan ice cream treat. I do have a thing for red wine, but I know that is high in sugar and have tried to save that for special occasions, and I also have a mild caffeine addiction. I just really love both coffee and tea. Other than that, I love to eat fresh and cooked produce every day in addition to nuts and seeds and beans and tofu and some fun fake meat products to keep things interesting. I have also juice fasted a few times, and I wish I had more time and money to do that more often.

As far as fitness, I’ve been a bit lazy over the years, but still body building curious. That 12 year old girl inside of me remembers the exhilaration of lifting weights and feeling accomplished. In late October 2012, I finally joined my local gym in Spring and was set up with an amazing personal trainer. I see him once a week, but if he sees me in the gym on our off days, he will run over and set me up with a cycle of weights and cardio to burn me out and then push me beyond my mental and physical limits. I feel like maybe there is hope yet for me to fulfill that body builder dream.

I started out in October at 200 pounds with a goal to lose at least 50 pounds. I’m at 192 now. Honestly, the number on the scale is not nearly as important as how I feel, but I would like to wear a smaller dress size eventually, even with my future beautiful bulging muscles.

I can’t wait to learn from each and every one of you as we take our journeys together.