Most influential Books you've read

robert

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Had a discussion recently with Robert on "Must have been something I ate" by Peggy long greek name hahaha. I really enjoyed the book and found tons of great info and love how it was presented. I like how she went about it like start by adding these foods rather than by dieting and cutting things out to get started. I also liked how she listed what foods were what sources of nutrients, and what those do for the body. And ways to cook them.

If I was going to be critical I would say the writing style is a little juvenile, too many OMG's and things like that for my taste. Also its not a vegan book or even a vegetarian book. If you are looking for something specific to that this is not the one. However the majority of the book does cover plant based foods.

-Dylan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A diet for a new america was the book that inspire me to become vegetarian several decades ago lol.

Not a book but a movie Fat sick and nearly dead inspire me to combine dark green vegetable with fruits. Green smoothie really improve my health greatly.

80/10/10 diet book by doug graham inspire me to eat way more fruits and get over my fear of carbohydrate. This greatly also gave me way more energy. I dont completely subscribe to his mindset though so i still consume beans and other legumes.

Audio book "science of enlightment" by shinzen young. One of the best source to teach important fundamental of buddhism. It shows how all religion around the world are connected.

Nathaniel Branden "psychology of self esteem". Teaches personal responsibility and to take responsible for every success and failure of your life. Avoid his idol Ayn Rand though, possibly one of the most destructive philosopher in the past century.

Currently reading Abhidhamma, one of Lord Buddha's most advance teaching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only ever read one book on veg*ism, and that was Eating Animals by Jonathan Saffran Foer. It's very good, and I would feel very comfortable recommending it to people who are considering eliminating meat from their diets. It isn't very staunchly situated in the "ethical meat" camp or the vegan camp, it's basically just a discussion based on statistics and reports by major, often government, agriculture sources. As such, I think it may lead some people to refrain from just factory farmed animal products and incorporate meat-free days in their households, but I think this is preferable to the people who encounter pro-vegan literature and leave saying "ya'll just a bunch of crazy hippies into some sort of religion".

For me personally though, The Catcher in the Rye is the most important book I've ever read. It caught me at a perfect point in my life were I was all angsty and angry and sad, and it reopened my love for books.

• 3 weeks later...

Having nothing to do with Veganism, a book titled "The Einstein Factor" influenced the way I think about the way I live, specifically my attitude toward the world I live in and how to use my talents to their fullest potential.

Of course after my mom passed away I got a lot out of "The Power of Now" as well as "The Power of Positive Thinking".

I`m actually working on three book proposals right now. All three are very different from each other, and it`s taking far longer to organize than I imagined (lol) but it`s getting there. Hoping to get at least one of them prepped in time to be able to write the book in Costa Rica.

It`s a great book, Mini. An old friend of mine I hadn`t seen in about 4 years called me out of the blue one day to thank me for turning him on to that book because it put him in a place to change his life. As a fellow musician he was struggling pretty hard to get his album done and the book is all about tapping into your subconscious to let out all of your creative potential (not to mention some of the techniques in there have been proven to unleash a few more IQ points). He finished his album in about 6 months after working on it for 5 years. It`s pretty amazing how that book can affect your inner confidence (don`t really want to call it self-confidence, it`s far more internal than that). Check it out and please feel free to let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
ultramarathon man - dean karnazes loved that book.

like all of lance armstrongs books also, regardless of what people think of him.

Great book, being an ultrarunner myself I can really relate to what he was writing. Have his other two books as well, RUN! is also a great read.

I've just started reading, 'Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating' by Eric Marcus. Will let you know what I think of it when I have finished it

• 7 months later...
I've read lots of books that have influenced me. Two of them being Dale Carnegie "How To Win Friends and Influence People" and "How To Stop Worrying and Start Living" both read when I was 13 (I know, I was a weird kid).

I just finished the second via an audio book (very well done, it fits the format of the book well )during my commute and have started the first. I think everyone should read both with parents giving their kids a copy when they leave home.

• 1 month later...