RAW transition/detox phase

TO THE RAW FOODIST: i know that it depends on the person and past health but after going from SAD to RAW how long did you detox, lose weight, lose strength, transition for??

This is my third week on raw and ive lost about 12lbs, my strength has decreased, had a sore thoat for a few days, went away then came back a week later, also i cant seem to consuume enough calories. any advice on these topics?

Hey, Mad05c.

A lot of people say they go through detox; but, really, any time you change your diet (especially so dramatically) you'll get symptoms.

Some raw foodists also say they get detox symptoms at various times -- like some will immediately go through detox; others will months later.

Also, some say it took going "100% raw" to go through detox or get any benefit; others, not.

One common complaint is feeling very tired and having to rest and sleep. So you may just need to do that.

I've been 100% raw for over a year, but I do not adhere to the "100% philosophy" nor is it my goal; I'm just 100% because that's what I'm comfy with right now and doing very well. It's just a dietary choice right now, not a "lifestyle"; and certainly involves no ethical conundrum.

Not to ramble about myself... lol.

Okay, so, no, I, personally had no detox since I had a fairly decent vegan diet for several years before starting.

Yes, I lost some weight, but not much; since I was already at my ideal weight. I actually got a bit skinny, which I didn't like, but stablized back up to my ideal within a couple months or so. I actually lost fat as opposed to weight, which was nice.

I did not lose strength at all. As a matter of fact, I had a surge of crazy energy! That does not seem the norm, though; most people experience lethargy, etc.

Calories: Are you a male? I ask only because too much weight loss and difficulty in getting enough food seems to be what most men go through.

What are you eating? If you are eating a majority of low-calorie fresh veggies you probably need to increase your high-calorie fruit intake. Also increasing your consumption of nuts and seeds is good for calories as well as protein and other fatty foods such as avocado, and raw olives (buy online if 100% is your goal). You could also consume concentrated calories from dried foods, like raw crackers, breads, cookies, etc., and add sprouted grains and beans to your diet.

So what are you eating?

ETA: Here is a raw food bodybuilder who has a specific way he stays in shape: http://www.charliesgym.info/

wow thanks for the raw bobybuilding site...havent had a chance to read it but looks very helpful from skimming through it. I eat about:

8 Bananas

4Apples

2 Oranges

2 carrots

2 celery

2 oz almonds

2 oz pumpkin

1 avocado

4 oz salad

i know its not enough, its only about 2000kcals, but im sure what foods i should eat to increase this....

Mad,

I went through EXACTLY what you're going through when I first switched to RAW. I never even transitioned from SAD to vegan, and then to RAW, just straight forward SAD - RAW. The first month of raw I dropped 15 lbs. and I continued to dramatically drop weight until I stabalized at 152 lbs. I was VERY lean, and alot of my friends started worrying about me and my health (although I felt absolutely fine.. actually BETTER than fine) despite eating COPIOUS amounts of food. I was eating ALL the time. Upwards of 20 to 30 apples a day. a 45 lb. watermelon in 2 days. nuts and seeds by the handful. But gradually over the span of 3 years, I've regained all the previous weight that I've lost and then some. From 152 lbs up to 185-190 lbs.

Be as raw as you like, but don't worry about the weight. It'll come back. Just keep training the best you can. And besides, this is a better muscle. not all puffy and swollen from the whey.

Yeah Mad,

I went through the same too,

the thing is that we set our bodies the task to clean itself out but we don't give it the rest it needs!

I felt weak for a couple of years then my strength slowly came back but my wieght never did!

I realised I had to make my wieght come back but it's was a very slow journey!

You should did through the archives here there's some good posts from othe raw foodist here!

good luck!

The first time I went vegan, I jumped right into it. I was dog sick for at least a week. I wasn't weight lifting at that time so I don't know how weak I was. I just know that I felt like I had the flu for a week or more. So much mucous came out of me (sorry to gross you out) and every joint in my body ached. But after the detox phase, I had oodles of energy and felt better than I had in my whole life.

This time, I am transitioning slowly and no problems. I am cutting back slowly on the things that give me problems; like caffeine for instance.

I have tried 100% raw. The first two or three days I felt unbelievably great! Then detox took over and I had a terrible cold. Once the cold was gone I never felt great again. I was tired and had no energy at all. If I ate some brown rice or tofu I usually felt better. I would like to go back to raw, I just ordered David Wolf's book. I hope this journey will be better!!

Lisa