Found VBBF 7 years ago, coming up on 7 years Vegan

joelbct

Hey, nice board here, you are all quite inspriring-

So as of yesterday, midway through some scrambled eggs, I have determined to try cutting out dairy and eggs-

Any tips?

-JB

Just thought I'd check in and give a shoutout.

Was looking at my first posts here. In April 06 I heard Gene Bauer speak at a humane society convention in CT, that week started searching the web for health and veganism articles to make sure it was safe, found this site, and almost 7 years later I am a vegan still. Had a few brief "relapses" which I'm not proud of, but I'd say 6.5 of the past 7 years Iv'e been 100% Vegan.

Thanks Robert et al!

April will be just one year for me. Only sorry I did not switch (from vegetarian>>vegan) earlier.

The food switches have been super easy ... thought I wouldn't like tofu, but lov'n the tofu scrambles now. For awhile I missed cheese but, Dr. Gregor's video (nurtritionfacts.org) on cheese mites and maggots helped cure that craving. Pretty sure not all cheese uses those in the making, but that's the vision I get now when I think of cheese. lol.

Was it anything in particular that made you 'relapse'? ie. any words of wisdom?

wtg on the seven years!

Congrats man, that's awesome! Everybody goes through rough times, and everyone handles it differently so don't beat yourself up about it.

My only reason for being vegan is for the animals, so if I ever feel like maybe it's not worth it, or I'm not actually making a difference, I watch a documentary or read a book on the subject and remind myself why I made this change so long ago.

Keep it up!!

• 2 weeks later...
Was it anything in particular that made you 'relapse'? ie. any words of wisdom?

Yeah there were 3 or 4 times in the past 7 years where things got so chaotic/stressful/depressing (job, a relationship, financial issues, etc) that my diet and animal rights were no longer a big concern, but those were thankfully brief situations, and my conscience and health-awareness kicked back in full-strength when things calmed down.

Not that stress is a good excuse, but because I didn't go vegan until 7 I was 22, I try not to judge other people too much for eating or wearing animal products (even though part of me wants to!), so I can't be too hard on myself either. But my 20's are almost over and I'm I think more stable, so with any luck I will stay Vegan for the rest of my life, and hopefully help some other people "see the light" as well.

I haven't visited this board all that often since the beginning bec while jogging and working out are a part of my life, they aren't as much of a focus as they might be, though when I have the time and money I do try to get into a steady gym routine.

Anyway thanks for continuing to be an inspiration (and a great talking point for conversations with vegan-skeptical omnivores) all you Vegan athletes! I don't know how many times I've said to people, "no, being Vegan you can be perfectly healthy and get lots of protein, even be an athlete or a bodybuilder! Don't believe me? Check out veganbodybuilding.com!"

-Joel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...