Should I count my Vegetable calories?

clank72

I count everything except these items...

Spring Mix

Carrots Slices

Sprouts

Bean Spouts

Brusselsprouts

Red Peppers

Cabbage

And any other leafy green veggies.

Everything else I count like, nuts, seeds, olives, oil, tofu etc.

Do you guys worry about counting the calories in veggies?

I don't count regularly but dow so for a couple weeks every few months just to check in on how I am doing gauging my caloric intake. When I do that I count everything. That said, you could eat a few pound of the veggies you have listed and only be off on your calorie count by 200-300 calories a day.

A few carrot slices as garnish will have very few calories, but a bowl of carrot soup will have about 100 calories worth of carrots... so amounts matter.

I would count .. but I'm pretty good at estimating the calories, and know most of them so well I don't have to look anything up.

I don't think it is necessary to count them tho ...the important thing is to be consistent in what you count .. ie either count them or don't. That way you will be better able to judge how to adjust your intake depending if you are trying to gain or lose.

A few carrot slices as garnish will have very few calories, but a bowl of carrot soup will have about 100 calories worth of carrots... so amounts matter.

I would count .. but I'm pretty good at estimating the calories, and know most of them so well I don't have to look anything up.

I don't think it is necessary to count them tho ...the important thing is to be consistent in what you count .. ie either count them or don't. That way you will be better able to judge how to adjust your intake depending if you are trying to gain or lose.

How much is

1/2 Cup of Rolled Oats.

60 Grams of Raspberries.

20 grams of Walnuts.

Tsp of Coconut Sugar.

• 2 weeks later...

I use calorieking.com whenever tampering and writing down food for my diet. It allows you to manually input numbers of servings and sizes of food until you reach the calorie/macronutrient amounts you're looking for, and its database has a ton of popular and rare food brands.

There are good websites to keep track of calories and macronutrients.

cronometer.com is good and simple

Oh! Yes I know. I use "Perfect Diet Tracker" for Mac every day...

I was just seeing if Stcalico could guess the calories because she said she knew them all by heart

So Stcalico, can you guess?

Sorry clank72... I should rephrase - I know the calories in the foods I eat normally (not the ones I don't) and I am never too exact. If coconut sugar is same as normal sugar I would guess about 25 cals per tsp (I've never tried coconut sugar). And the oats would depend on if they are cooked or not... I imagine there is less calories in the cooked since the 1/2 cup would have water in it - but dry would be about 150. To be honest I do not know what a gram of anything looks like ... I measure by spoonfuls and cups only. I would discard any recipe asking me to weigh ingredients.

If you look up calories in foods a lot you will get very familiar with them too - ie. I'm not implying I'm super human - it is just rote memorization. It's kind of like cooking... after you make the same recipe a few times, you stop needing to look at the ingredients and measurements for the recipe and sometimes you just 'wing' it.