Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:33 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Hampshire Swordsman
Well for a long time my approach to veganism is to remove everything animal related I can from my life. Some times it's hard as, for example there is some equipment of mine that has a tiny leather component that can't be removed (though I am pushing for a fake leather version). Also if it's a choice between leather or wool, I'll take wool. I know the implications of that but some times choices aren't all easy. You could say that I could choose neither but there is some equipment and items that I can't not use such as padded protective equipment and so on.

This brings me on to something else I've been thinking about. I don't use honey as it just seemed a matter of course when becoming a vegan. I was wondering what other people thing of insect related products such as honey?

_________________
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:38 pm 
Offline
Batman
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Posts: 1494
Location: Isle of Wight, England
Its a difficult one, I study animals accademically and one thing I know for sure is that bees are on the decline, drastically. People around the world and especially the UK are making hives to attract and keep bees as a way of increasing population numbers, as a side product there is lots of honey which the keepers sell. My point here is, the honey trade is actually paying for people to conserve and protect the global bee population.. Strange. I avoid it but mainly because its insect vomit.

_________________
klaatu21 wrote:
sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 am
Posts: 91
Location: Austin, Tx
Personally I avoid honey. I am trying to think of another insect product but other than some dies I am at a bit of a loss. Those I skip out on by avoiding processed crap.

_________________
Blog:http://austinthemusical.wordpress.com
Twitter:https://twitter.com/#!/vegan_cowboy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Hampshire Swordsman
vegan_rossco wrote:
Its a difficult one, I study animals accademically and one thing I know for sure is that bees are on the decline, drastically. People around the world and especially the UK are making hives to attract and keep bees as a way of increasing population numbers, as a side product there is lots of honey which the keepers sell. My point here is, the honey trade is actually paying for people to conserve and protect the global bee population.. Strange. I avoid it but mainly because its insect vomit.


Actually I know. I was going to be a vet but bad eyesight made me finish off with animal health and welfare though I still study animals. The insect population is affecting the bat population (which I study).

The British bee has been practically extinct since 1930 if I'm correct? We're actually using African bees now?

_________________
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:14 pm 
Offline
Batman
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Posts: 1494
Location: Isle of Wight, England
mythil wrote:
vegan_rossco wrote:
Its a difficult one, I study animals accademically and one thing I know for sure is that bees are on the decline, drastically. People around the world and especially the UK are making hives to attract and keep bees as a way of increasing population numbers, as a side product there is lots of honey which the keepers sell. My point here is, the honey trade is actually paying for people to conserve and protect the global bee population.. Strange. I avoid it but mainly because its insect vomit.


Actually I know. I was going to be a vet but bad eyesight made me finish off with animal health and welfare though I still study animals. The insect population is affecting the bat population (which I study).

The British bee has been practically extinct since 1930 if I'm correct? We're actually using African bees now?


Cool! I work at a bat hospital on the isle of wight, look us up ;)
Yeah african bees are used most of the time now, its worth looking into which honey comes from british 'urban bees' I can only imagine its only available very locally

_________________
klaatu21 wrote:
sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Hampshire Swordsman
vegan_rossco wrote:
mythil wrote:
vegan_rossco wrote:
Its a difficult one, I study animals accademically and one thing I know for sure is that bees are on the decline, drastically. People around the world and especially the UK are making hives to attract and keep bees as a way of increasing population numbers, as a side product there is lots of honey which the keepers sell. My point here is, the honey trade is actually paying for people to conserve and protect the global bee population.. Strange. I avoid it but mainly because its insect vomit.


Actually I know. I was going to be a vet but bad eyesight made me finish off with animal health and welfare though I still study animals. The insect population is affecting the bat population (which I study).

The British bee has been practically extinct since 1930 if I'm correct? We're actually using African bees now?


Cool! I work at a bat hospital on the isle of wight, look us up ;)
Yeah african bees are used most of the time now, its worth looking into which honey comes from british 'urban bees' I can only imagine its only available very locally


Oh I did some studying with the bat conservation trust. I want to work hands on but there were very little opportunities. And I do pop over to the Isles as I'm just outside Portsmouth

_________________
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm 
Offline
Batman
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Posts: 1494
Location: Isle of Wight, England
Awesome!! Give us a shout if you ever fancy popping over to visit the bat hospital!

_________________
klaatu21 wrote:
sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:34 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Hampshire Swordsman
vegan_rossco wrote:
Awesome!! Give us a shout if you ever fancy popping over to visit the bat hospital!


Would like to sometime sure ;)

_________________
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 pm
Posts: 225
Location: St.Catharines, Ontario
vegan_rossco wrote:
Its a difficult one, I study animals accademically and one thing I know for sure is that bees are on the decline, drastically. People around the world and especially the UK are making hives to attract and keep bees as a way of increasing population numbers, as a side product there is lots of honey which the keepers sell. My point here is, the honey trade is actually paying for people to conserve and protect the global bee population.. Strange. I avoid it but mainly because its insect vomit.


That's the way I initially looked at it as well, and for the longest time I told myself that it was okay to eat it. In all my years of veganism I have never purchased honey or looked for something with honey, but if it was a bi-product in something and the only thing keeping it from being vegan, I would eat it.

But then a few years ago, I was told that the bees kept in these farms actually have no positive impact on the global bee population, as they are completely dependent on these farms. Not to mention the amount of death involved in keeping these farms active. Do you have any literature on this, as I am definitely interested in reading something from that side of it.

_________________
-Evan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:44 am 
Offline
Batman
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Posts: 1494
Location: Isle of Wight, England
Factory style Honey farms don't have a possitive impact on the active global bee population its "urban bee keppers" that I'm refering to, I only know of there existance in the UK and haven't looked beyond that, there are no unecessary deaths because its simply constructing hives and oppurtunitys for bees and replacing any taken honey with nectar or any other sugar based product. The same groups making urban hives are also paying out a good deal of money in campaigns to get people to grow more flowers on there property to encourage bees, so in cases like this its difficult to decide whether or not to boycott a product, like I said before I don't touch it not only because its insect vomit...but also because its difficult to garauntee where its sourced, I'll have a look round college today for some books on the subject and will post links to some sites on here :)

_________________
klaatu21 wrote:
sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 am 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:05 pm
Posts: 6
Bees are farmed to pollinate most of the agricultural crops we eat, especially sunflower, canola etc visit these farms and see hives along the fence every 100 or so meters. They have a negative impact on Australian native bees in areas where these crops are farmed, but the native bees still thrive in harsher areas where there are no agricultural crops.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 pm
Posts: 225
Location: St.Catharines, Ontario
Good information from both of you. I think I will continue to avoid purchasing it, but may be more open to consuming it as a byproduct if it is the only ingredient keeping it from being vegan.

I am interested to read more opinions / facts on the subject !

_________________
-Evan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 am
Posts: 46
Thsi pretty much explains it all: http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

_________________
XVX

Current stats:
Height: 1.78m
Weight: 88.2kg
Body Fat: 10.45%


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 am
Posts: 30
vegan_rossco wrote:
Strange. I avoid it but mainly because its insect vomit.


It's one of the reasons I went vegan: When you REALLY think about it, animal products are GROSS.

_________________
"It was an all-or-nothing choice between the A-Bomb and the Spaceship. I had already picked sides."-Grant Morrison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Honey? What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 414
Location: SC, Brazil
gross = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

_________________
my noob log =)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group