Indepth interview with Dorian Yates

Hey everyone,

Hope your all well. Thought you might be interested in this Dorian Yates interview. It was only filmed afew weeks ago and really is interesting stuff! Here's a quick summary of the interview, that is incredibly in-depth.

Professional Bodybuilder and 6 time Mr. Olympia winner Dorian Yates sits down with London Real to discuss how his "High Intensity Training" techniques changed the sport, the specifics of his steroid use and its effects, how he psychologically reinvented himself after his abrupt retirement in 1997, and his thoughts on conspiracy theories, psychedelics, and cannabis.

What doy ou guys think?!

Thanks for posting this. Having been an adolescent male in the '90s I am all too familiar with Dorian's physique. It was really interesting to hear him tell his story, especially about him being a kind of outsider in the bodybuilding scene and using different training techniques than was conventional at the time. Educational to hear the mindset of a champion and what it took for him to achieve his goals. Although I don't agree with all his ideas on spirituality and conspiracy theories, I did appreciate that he didn't seem to be a typical "muscle-head" and was concerned with the bigger questions of life. I also appreciated that he is completely honest about steroids. I'm sure there is much more knowledge available to the public now, but at least when I was a kid, there was a definite lie in the Weider magazines that if you eat right and train right and buy supplements, you can look like these bodybuilders. Although I am not in favor of steroid usage, it was a very interesting point to make that after 12 years of steroid use, his health was good, and yet in SuperSize me, after 2 weeks of eating MacDonald's, Morgan Spurlock's health had declined significantly. The American public has very confused ideas about health. Reminds me of when severely overweight people criticize me for being a vegetarian, which is according to them, an unhealthy diet (while they are eating a hamburger!).

• 5 months later...

I attended a seminar of Dorian's back in May of 98, the seminar mostly revolved around the topic of steroids, something I've no interest in. That said he was a really down to earth individual, and had great sense of humor, very dry like myself lol.

With regards to "his" health being good after 12 years of steroid use, the same can not be said for many other big names of that era

Nasser El Sonbaty - died at 47 recently from kidney complications

Flex Wheeler - kidney failure

Andreas Munzer - died at 33, kidney and liver failure, and his heart was enlarged

Mohammad Beneiza - Dead at 33, heart failure after an injection of clenbuterol

Art Artwood - died at 38 of a massive heart attack

Mike Materazzo - Triple heart by-pass 38, plus two heart attacks

Tom Prince - Kidney failure

Don Long - kidney failure

Shaun Davies - kidney failure

Derrick Whitsett - died from kidney failure

Don Youngblood - died at 51, heart attack

Sonny Schmidt - dead at 50, cancer

Don "the rippler Ross", Died at 51, heart attack

Curtis Lefflar - Died of heart attack, aged 36

Don Ross - Died at 51 of a massive heart attack

Charles Durr - Died at 44, enlarged heart

Eduardo Kawak - died at 47, heart attack

Luke Wood, died at 35, kidney failure

Kris Dim, heart attack and open heart surgery at the age of 37

Then there's the likes of Bertil Fox, Craig Titus and Sally McNeil that are all serving life for murder, the latter two blame steroids for their action's.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg....

I attended a seminar of Dorian's back in May of 98, the seminar mostly revolved around the topic of steroids, something I've no interest in. That said he was a really down to earth individual, and had great sense of humor, very dry like myself lol.

With regards to "his" health being good after 12 years of steroid use, the same can not be said for many other big names of that era

Nasser El Sonbaty - died at 47 recently from kidney complications

Flex Wheeler - kidney failure

Andreas Munzer - died at 33, kidney and liver failure, and his heart was enlarged

Mohammad Beneiza - Dead at 33, heart failure after an injection of clenbuterol

Art Artwood - died at 38 of a massive heart attack

Mike Materazzo - Triple heart by-pass 38, plus two heart attacks

Tom Prince - Kidney failure

Don Long - kidney failure

Shaun Davies - kidney failure

Derrick Whitsett - died from kidney failure

Don Youngblood - died at 51, heart attack

Sonny Schmidt - dead at 50, cancer

Don "the rippler Ross", Died at 51, heart attack

Curtis Lefflar - Died of heart attack, aged 36

Don Ross - Died at 51 of a massive heart attack

Charles Durr - Died at 44, enlarged heart

Eduardo Kawak - died at 47, heart attack

Luke Wood, died at 35, kidney failure

Kris Dim, heart attack and open heart surgery at the age of 37

Then there's the likes of Bertil Fox, Craig Titus and Sally McNeil that are all serving life for murder, the latter two blame steroids for their action's.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg....

Don't quote me but I think Kris Dim is an exception on that list, his was a genetic heart defect. I am sure steroids wouldn't have helped, but they supposedly weren't a causative factor.

Also (if my memory has got this right), I'm fairly certain that Mohammed Beneziza died from complications arising from severe electrolyte imbalances; I think he was given potassium in hospital, which was what killed him due to it causing a heart attack/seizure. The injection you are referring to I think was Lasix.

Hi ML,

Ive Certainly No doubt that there was a combination of factors in all the above cases that contributed to their health issues and premature deaths, that said, i'm also certain their steroid "ABUSE" would not have help their situation's. Make no mistake, it is drug abuse.

The point to the list of names is because i feel Dorian has been somewhat irresponsible in recent years, his willingness to tell people what he took, in what quantities, and telling the public in videos like above "12 years of steroid use has done me no harm" is ridiculous.

Steroids imo, has ruined the sport of professional bodybuilding. I personally agree with a comment Vince Gironda made back in the 70s, he said he stopped attending pro bodybuilding contest's because they had become nothing more than pharmaceutical contests.

Forgot to mention...

Im sure the men i listed above were good decent human beings, they did / do not deserve what has happened to them, i must also say that allow pro bodybuilders do abuse steroids, they still train and work extremely hard to reach the goals in life, and its this i admire about them most. Pro bodybuilders have outstanding genetics, wouldn't it be brilliant to see just how great they can been as natural athletes. I recall Samir Bannout saying in an 80s interview " if you could take steroids out of bodybuilding all at once, the champion would remain the champion", it would be debatable, but i don't think he would be too far wrong.

On a side note, Mike Mentzer was a steroid user in his competitive days, but later Mike spoke out against steroid abuse, he tried to advise / steer clients and his followers (for the want of a better term) away from using them, Mike wanted people to know that you didnt need steroids to achieve a more muscular physique. His training physiology was aimed at the natural athlete, it was for this very reason he really pushed the issue of recovery, as the natural trainee did/does not have recovery enhancing steroids to fall back on.