5/3/1

VeganJT666

One of the best powerlifting programmes out there hands down. Simplistic enough in it's theories and ideology but then it's usually those ones that tend to end up working the best. I have yet to meet anyone that hasn't had good results and gotten considerably stronger from following 5/3/1.

I think that one of the reasons why programmes 'don't work' for people is that they don't run them for long enough. IMHO anything that is ran for less than 6 months or not followed as laid out in the training programme really doesn't have the right to expect what the programme promises to deliver.

Just my 2c, glad to hear you have had good results. Are you training for anything in particular or just to get stronger in general? Cheers MF.

I agree with MF on the 5/3/1. It worked out well for me, other than that the progression was a little too slow for me at the time. I enjoyed the bodyweight assistance template and ran it for 5 months, but the next time I do 5/3/1 I'll program in weighted assistance work for better strength gains.

I'm going to have to agree with asparagus and MF. I was on the program for a little less than a year. I found my progression was consistent but I wasn't seeing it as fast as some other programs. I'd put it as a great beginning workout for someone who wants to get into Powerlifting in general.

Compared to the cube I find I'm doing about double the amount of work compared to the 5/3/1 and I'm seeing more progression and more confidence under the bar on my bench and squats.

Once again, just my two cents, but if its working for you, stick to it.

I actually think 5/3/1 is more suited to a higher level lifter that can't realize gains every week or two anymore, hence the monthly progression in weight. If you are at that level where slower gains are the norm, then it's grand. Or if you just need to cut back on the intensity a little it might also be good. I'd recommend Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength as good beginner's programs as the emphasis is more on the main lifts and progression is faster.

What is your current strength level, VeganJT666? Have you been lifting for while?

I've been lifting for a long time, but really started doing serious strength/powerlifting style lifts towards the end of last year. Currently, I am 5'7", 160 lbs and am training at a 350 deadlift/280 squat/245 bench/ and 150 press. I gained a lot of strength over the last year kind of doing my own thing, but decided that this year I was going to pick a program and see where it takes me. 5/3/1 seemed to be one of the simplest and most accessible, so I chose it.

• 4 weeks later...
Since some of you all have run this program, have you all skipped the deload week and went straight to the next cycle?

Hell no, deload weeks are important and there for a reason. Just stick to the programme as it's written and you won't go far wrong.

Deload weeks are just as important as your max attempts.

I skipped most of the deload weeks over the 6 months I ran the program because I had taken a pretty serious deload to start the program, and I was doing a lot of bodyweight work which I believe is easier to recover from. I think there was only one week 3 set at 95% that I didn't get at least 5 reps on (4 reps on OHP @ 150 lbs). IF I was doing more weighted assistance work and was lifting my main sets closer to my 1RM I wouldn't be skipping the deload weeks.