Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Asparagus Strength Journey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
Rabbit

Hey man, congrats on your end-of-year 1RM PR's! Really impressive stuff! Good luck on getting to your big 2013 goals!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks guys, things are well and I'm happy with the results I'm getting.

MadCow Week 2

2x200 jump rope w/ 2x6 widest grip pullups

Squats:
5x45 lbs
5x115
5x165
5x205
5x245
5x290

Bench:
5x45 lbs
5x80
5x110
5x140
5x10
5x200

BB Rows:
5x70 lbs
5x95
5x125
5x150
5x175

Everything was easy today. Decent depth on the squats, a slight bit below parallel on the heavy set. Gym was packed with New-Years-Resolution-but-only-for-the-next-2-weeks slackers, but I managed to get in on a barbell and hold it for the duration of my workout. Had a student athlete Rugby player work in with me on my sets at the same weights, he made them look easier than they felt while I was doing them, even though they were easy to me too. A couple more weeks and it should start to get really challenging.

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Great work on your PR's ~ awesome strong squats there. Keep it up MF.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 pm 
Gorilla

MadCow Week 2

200, 200, 100 jump rope w/ 3x5 wide grip pullups

Squat
5x115 lbs
5x165
5x205 3-count descent w/ pause at bottom
5x205 3-count descent w/ pause at bottom

OHP
5x75
5x100
5x120
5x140

Deadlift
5x135 slow for form check, hook
5x205 hook
5x260 hook
5x315 over/under
5x370 over/under, chalk

Gym's still pretty full, I've had to vary my warmup to compensate. Power rack was in use for rows so I had to clean and jerk the bar for the first two sets of squats. When life gives you lemons, punch life in the balls, then do some squats. Although this probably doesn't qualify as "lemons", I still stand by the saying. Everything else went fine as expected until the last set of Deadlift. For some reason my form felt off, even though I concentrated on it for all the lead-up sets. First rep went OK, second I felt my balance shift a bit forward to my toes and I pulled it back, the 3rd and 4th just seemed a little off, the final rep was OK.

I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Gorilla

MadCow Week 2

200, 200, 100 jump rope w/ 4x5 widest grip pullups, 1x10 narrow angled grip pullups

Squat
5x45 lbs
5x115
5x160
5x205
5x250
3x295
8x205

Bench
5x80
5x115
5x145
5x175
3x205
8x145

BB Rows
5x70
5x100
5x125
5x155
3x180
8x125

Good workout today. Some guys were using the power rack for some crazy pullup/upperbody/core work so I had to clean the bar from the safety pins to the rack for the first 4 sets to keep it out of their way. The heavy triple felt harder than I was expecting it to be, hopefully I'm just having an off day. Everything else went fine.

I realized today that the Uni is closed on Monday, so I won't be able to make it to the gym. Next week might have to be a short week in which I do my normal Monday and Wednesday lifts on Wednesday and Friday, and then the following week I keep the same weights and start again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:02 am 
Manatee

Hey mate i had one question how did your Chest respond to the 5x5 , I will be completing 3 month it on 24th Jan and i haven't seen much development in terms of Chest mass although for strength i am hitting my PB every week . Chest is one area i have always struggled , I have come down to 3x5 on all my lifts and i was thinking that what else can i incorporate to aid some chest development as everyone says that do not fuck with the program . You've been on this for a while so i thought you're the best person to give me an advice on the same . You can check my pictures on my Log if you want .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 am 

Good session considering you think it was an off day ?! Strong benching mate.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:00 pm 
Rabbit

captfit - have you tried adding in dips?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 pm 

Dips are a great exercise choice, I agree with that sentiment. Leaning forward when you do them puts more emphasis on the chest, keeping in a more upright position hits the triceps more. Do them after your benching if you don't want them to take strength away from your main chest exercise(s).

How's your weekend going Asparagus?

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 pm 
Gorilla

captfit wrote:
Hey mate i had one question how did your Chest respond to the 5x5 , I will be completing 3 month it on 24th Jan and i haven't seen much development in terms of Chest mass although for strength i am hitting my PB every week . Chest is one area i have always struggled , I have come down to 3x5 on all my lifts and i was thinking that what else can i incorporate to aid some chest development as everyone says that do not fuck with the program . You've been on this for a while so i thought you're the best person to give me an advice on the same . You can check my pictures on my Log if you want .

First off - everyone's body will develop differently, and everyone has different strengths. Take a look through chewbaws' log (http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18133), as he also had less chest development than in other areas (his deadlift is huge!).

Personally, I have broad shoulders and they've always been somewhat strong, which helps a bit in benching. Looking back at my 5x5 log, I was fine on bench 5x5 until 170 lbs (~0.9x bodyweight). That was at about 16 weeks in. As far as mass developement, it took a number of months (probably at least 6) before it seemed like I had developed nice pectoral mass. ** HOWEVER, aesthetics was never my goal, so I didn't keep track of that or care much about it. That being said, my wife sure was happy with the aesthetics of it!

Keep in mind, Stronglifts 5x5 is not designed to build mass, it is designed to build strength. A bit of mass will come with strength, but not as much as if you were on a hypertrophy program. Bodybuilding/strength training is a long-term journey. Be patient, be persistant, and you will reach your goals. In my opinion, once you can bench press at least 1xBW, then you can add in some hypertrophy work to increase your mass. I think you should develop a strong basis first.

I agree on the "don't fuck with the program" bit, until the program no longer suits your needs. Each program you come across has certain goals in mind and is tailored to help you reach those goals. Once you've gotten to the point that you are no longer progressing on Stronglifts and you want to add muscle mass, check out Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring But Big template (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge&cr=).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Good session considering you think it was an off day ?! Strong benching mate.

thanks. I realized later Friday evening after I wrote up the entry why the squat seemed more difficult. Since I was sharing the power rack, my focus was a bit off and I proceeded to lift my final set in the same method as my warmups - full depth! My ass wasn't on my ankles, as I had the normal (not high) bar position, but I was below parallel and my hams were squashing my calves. I even recall one of the guys saying "damn, you go all the way down" and I said yeah, but didn't think any more about it. Going to try it full depth again this Friday and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am 
Manatee

asparagus wrote:
captfit wrote:

First off - everyone's body will develop differently, and everyone has different strengths. Take a look through chewbaws' log (http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18133), as he also had less chest development than in other areas (his deadlift is huge!).

Personally, I have broad shoulders and they've always been somewhat strong, which helps a bit in benching. Looking back at my 5x5 log, I was fine on bench 5x5 until 170 lbs (~0.9x bodyweight). That was at about 16 weeks in. As far as mass developement, it took a number of months (probably at least 6) before it seemed like I had developed nice pectoral mass. ** HOWEVER, aesthetics was never my goal, so I didn't keep track of that or care much about it. That being said, my wife sure was happy with the aesthetics of it!

Keep in mind, Stronglifts 5x5 is not designed to build mass, it is designed to build strength. A bit of mass will come with strength, but not as much as if you were on a hypertrophy program. Bodybuilding/strength training is a long-term journey. Be patient, be persistant, and you will reach your goals. In my opinion, once you can bench press at least 1xBW, then you can add in some hypertrophy work to increase your mass. I think you should develop a strong basis first.

I agree on the "don't fuck with the program" bit, until the program no longer suits your needs. Each program you come across has certain goals in mind and is tailored to help you reach those goals. Once you've gotten to the point that you are no longer progressing on Stronglifts and you want to add muscle mass, check out Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring But Big template (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge&cr=).

Thanks for such a detailed reply mate , really appreciate the feedback , I am still 15 kgs off my bodyweight when it comes to benching , but squatting every workout and doing max every workout is kinda putting me off now , i am thinking of switching to a Hypertrophy oriented routine , i came across one which lets you do Squat , Bench , Deads on Separate days for a set of 5x5 and then lets you add a Assistance Exercise for 3x8 . I have been on Stronglifts for 3 months and i am thinking of trying out this mix of Strength and Hypertrphy routine for 6 weeks or so and then jump onto something like 5/3/1 . As i will be relocating in a months time or so and that will affect my lifting and once settled in a new place only then i will start something established as 5/3/1 .

I will keep working on my bench and will get back to you on how it feels once i get my bench to my bodyweight .

Thanks again for the reply

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm 
Gorilla

Madcow Week 2.5

200, 100 jump rope w/ 3x3 pullups

Squats:
2x5x50 lbs
5x115
5x165
5x205 slow descent, 1 sec pause at bottom, explosive up
5x205 speed set 1 second/rep, holding breath

OHP:
5x75
5x100
5x120
5x140 superset w/ 5x140 push press slow negative

Deadlift:
5x135 slow for form, hook
5x205 hook
5x260 hook
5x315 over/under
5x375 over/under, chalk

30x30 lbs kettlebell swings

Since this is a by-week, due to not being able to lift on Monday, I messed around a little today and tried some different stuff out. I tried to do a muscle-up on my first warmup set of pullups and almost got it. When I loosened my grip to transition to the "up" part, my left hand slipped off the grip and I couldn't complete it. I'll try again next time, and hopefully I'll be able to get it. I will probably start doing my warmup pullups explosively to build up the power for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Gorilla

MadCow Week 2.5

200, 200, 100 jump rope w/ 3x5 widest grip pullups

Squat:
5x70 lbs
5x110
5x165
5x205
5x255
4x295
8x205

Bench:
5x85
5x115
5x145
5x175
4x205
8x145

BB Row:
5x70
5x100
5x125
5x155
4x180
8x135

Farmer's Walk
2x30mx80 lbs each hand
2x30mx85
2x30mx90

Dumbbell finger hold, each hand, superset
5 lbs @ 20 seconds
10 @ 20
15 @ 20
20 @ 20

The main workout went fine today, except for taking a bit long. The gym was really crowded when I went - I'm going to have to try to get into the gym earlier on Fridays. I psyched myself up for the heavy sets, worrying that i might have trouble with them but forgetting that they should be easily doable. I hit all of them without trouble, good depth on squats, good form on bench and rows. Felt like throwing a bit of grip work in at the end. The farmer's walk was great, last 5 meters each way on the 90 lbs the dumbbells were in my fingers and I was squeezing as hard as I could. The finger hold was just a bit more punishment. I pinched the hex-end of the dumbbell with my fingertips and held it for 20 seconds then moved on to the next weight up. I tried to pick up 25 lbs after the 20 lbs set but couldn't hold the grip. Next time I decide to to this (probably next Friday) I'll start with 10 lbs and see if I can hold the 25 lbs at all again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
Gorilla

MadCow Week 3

200, 200, 100 jump rope w/ 3x5 pullups

Squat
5x45 lbs
5x120
5x160
5x205
5x250
5x295

Bench
5x85
5x115
5x145
5x175
5x205

BB Rows
5x70
5x100
5x125
5x155
5x180

Lifts went well. Depth was OK on the squats, below parallel but I wanted to go deeper - just didn't happen in the execution. Bench went up with just a hint of leg drive on rep 5, looking good for progress there. Last time I did BB rows I started to have trouble finishing a set of 5 at around 200 lbs. I set my starting weight pretty low on this one, hopefully I can progress on it for a while. Hopefully all the Kroc rows I was doing during 5/3/1 will have helped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 25  Next