How much is too much?

Hi folks,,

I'm hoping someone can give me a little guidance as vegan fitness is quite new to me..

I've been vegan for about a year and a half now, 7 months ago I started training at the gym and while I'm seeing results its not quite the results I want...

I'm 5'8', 160 lbs, most of my weight is around mid section... I'm trying to shed fat and build muscle at the same time but I'm finding it hard to find the right balance...

My calorie intake usually fluctuates around 1600, workout days are usually 500-600 calories higher due to pre and post workout shakes.

My workout routine is as follows:

Sunday: 1 hour spinning class followed by 35 minutes of weights

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 35 minutes of weights followed by 1 hour of low intensity cardio on the elliptical

Wednesday: 45 minutes of spinning bootcamp class

Thursday: 35 minutes of weights followed by 1 hour of low intensity cardio on the elliptical

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 1.5 hours intense spinning class

Can anyone offer any tips for my routine of nutrition plan. I feel rather lost when it comes to vegan training.

I'm not looking to bulk up tremendously although I wouldn't find looking like the guys on the over on men's health either...

Any advice?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I'm 5'8'' also and 143 lbs. I think that you are like me, the skinny-fat type of guy =)

Before start training I had 160lbs also, so I started consuming only 1600 calories/day working out only using my bodyweight(pushups, pullups, bw squats). In a month and a half I managed to reach 141lbs and decided to start lifiting weights. So overall I think your plan is pretty adequate, good amount of rest which is important.

About the nutrition, I'm always aiming at 1g protein/pound (2g per kilo), 0.5 fat/pound and the rest of the calories I'm eating carbs. Sometimes a little more fat or protein, never less and the same amount of calories. This worked to lose weight in a healthy way but I can't still say that this is working to gain mass because I started lifting last week.

Hope I helped, good luck!

I use supplements to control the calorie count.

But even without supplementation I manage to hit 100 proteins/day.

My protein powerhouses are seitan(gluten), TVP(Textured Vegetal Protein - soy based), Tofu, Quinoa and Lentills. I bet there are more vegan protein powerhouses out there =)

Check out my log, started last week. I`m currently trying to bulk up =)

viewtopic.php?t=34845