what to eat for underactive thryroid

So I read that goitrogen foods can slow your thyroid. Did anybody have any luck regulating thyroid without meds? What did you cut out of diet or add to diet to get thyroid back on track

Sample list of goitrogen foods

Peanuts

Pine Nuts

Sweet Potatoes

Spinach

Pears

Millet

Strawberries

Bamboo

Shoots

Kale

Collard

Greens

Cauliflower

Brussels Sprouts

Broccoli

Mustard Greens

Radishes

Rutabagas

Turnips

Cabbage

Canola

Bok Choy

Horseradish

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't hurt to start consuming some kelp (you can buy it as food although technically it's classed as a herb) which is a really good source of iodine. T3 and T4 are the two hormones that are produced by the thyroid gland, and iodine is essential for the thyroid gland to produce them.

This is a good, simple starting point for any person with hypothyroidism but you should still continue to monitor your T3/T4 levels with your doctor.

Getting iodine from kelp or any seaweed plant is a good source, but that might not be the problem. You could be getting enough iodine, but eating something that interferes with its metabolism. Caffeine has this effect, so coffee and green tea would then be a culprit. You need to first find out what the problem is, not just deal with the symptom. This is where tests and working with a doctor you can trust would be the most beneficial.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm new to this board and just looking around, but this post caught my eye.

I was diagnosed with a hypoactive thyroid 16 years ago and have done tons of research on trying to regulate it by diet or natural methods. i was determined that i would find a way to keep my levels normal without having to take a pill for the rest of my life, but have finally come to the conclusion that it is regulated and I feel much better when taking my prescription.

I am on synthroid .125 mg and get my blood tested regularly. Since taking the prescription I have experienced less hair loss, not as cold or sluggish and have a lot more energy.

There may be a way to regulate it properly without meds, but in my opinion....the meds work best.

Good luck to you!

S.

• 3 weeks later...