Quinoa problems

asparagus

Vegansaurus had a good response to the Guardian article and its anti vegan slant.

http://vegansaurus.com/post/40684400970

I don't know about other locations but the Whole Foods in Austin sell quinoa that is grown in the U.S. and I personally have grown in my garden (sifting it is a pain in the ass). So, with a little work there are ways to avoid the issue of importing it.

World population is growing by 200,000 per day.

Unfortunately, the current population that is strictly vegan (approx .1 % of world population) do not have the largest impact on food supply and demand.

I love the footnote added today at the bottom of the guardian document... mentioned like a tiny afterthought that is inconsequential.

Thanks for the link to the vegansaurus article, it probably would have been a while before I came across that on my own.

I didn't read the guardian article as anti-vegan, but that's not really important. I do wonder on what the big deal is that the growers can't afford their own produce. I read in another article somewhere (don't recall) that they would rather sell it to make the money than keep it for themselves to eat, in which case it's their own decision. If they are making that much money selling it, then they can surely afford other food sources, and not just processed food as this article states. Sure there are probably many cases in which the farmers get screwed (like they always do). I know there are other people (non-growers) that can no longer afford it, so that plays into the vegansaurus article about the governments exercising some control on the export to help their own populations.

Personally, I eat a lot of quinoa, so I am thinking about it somewhat. I'll have to check where mine is sourced from.