Can't stop hurting my back!!!

I seem to be hurting my backa lot lately and its really affecting me (ie. the way I look and feel because I cant get o the gym enough). Almost every week now I pull a muscle in my back, wait a week for it to get better, go back to the gym and pull a muscle in my back again!!!! Its driving me mad. Whenever I do squats, deadlifts etc I tend to pull a muscle. I think its the centre middle part of my traps Im pulling. So I tend not to do those standing heavy lifts. But last week after a week of recovery i straight away did it again and I dont know how. Maybe doing bent over rows, but I didnt feel anything at the time. Not until the day after. . Its really affecting my training though.

I dont think my form is that bad with anything so I maybe I just have a weak trapezius and need to build it up slowly. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problem?

You can get pains and strains in your upper back and neck if one or both shoulders are not functioning properly. I have a slightly winged left scapula and often had various pains in the upper back. Since doing some particular exercises the winging effect is lessened and I rarely have any pain. I do scapula press ups - using the method proposed by someone whose name escapes me at the moment (hands together in a diamond press-up position and hands directly under the eye level rather than at shoulder level), and other movements. Ido Portaldo has some youtube exercises for shoulder mobilisation.

You might need to exercise your rotator cuff muscles.

Advice from my Physical Therapist:

If it's a pulled muscle and he's not doing anything to treat it, then he's just reinjuring the same thing, no amount of rest will heal it. Sounds actually more like one of his vertebrae are rotated or a rib is displaced, and so until that is resolved he'll keep having the same issues. Maybe work on strengthening stuff that uses no arms at all...but if he has insurance get it treated by a PT. Or take the risk and have a friend crack his back. (obviously that's not recommended but it could help if he can't afford to get treated.)

-Dylan

thanks for all the responses guys.

The winged scapula sounds interesting. Everything you describe sounds the same as me. I do all these exercies anyway though. I do diamond press ups regularly.

C.O. i do agree with your Physio but you must know how hard it is to just completely stop and recover. Im addicted to fitness! I have calmed down though. I always do every exercise wiyh heaviest weight i possibly can but the last two week si have been doing all my back exercises with low weights and high reps. This seems to be better for me and so far apart frm a few twinges no pains.

We'll see how this goes.

Well you shouldn't be worried,you should go to a doctor i guess he will tell you the actual problem with your muscle.

May be it is some kind of disturbance with your back muscles.He will suggest you the actual medicine for it.