What to eat after a workout?

I am new to Veg/Strength training. I have lifted before, but that was years ago and I was a meat eater then. I am now veg and am not sure what to eat after a workout. I don't want to have to buy protein powders (I like to know what i am eating/drinking) so any other suggestions would be great.

I usually workout after taking my kids to school (about 9am) so I have already had breakfast, usually a smoothie or oatmeal, at about 7am.

Thanks

The most important thing of all is to have a good diet throughout the day, don`t focus on pre/post workout , focus on your diet =)

it is important to have some thing post workout though, if muscle building/recovery is the goal. your body needs to replace what has been lost in the workout, e.g glycogen....... so it cant then begin to recover ready for the next workout.

+1 mike! Its a good idea to have something carby (sugary) with a bit a protein so that your body can anobolise, I tend to have protein power in fruit juice and then a big meal within the next hour or two after training, something simple like beans on toast would be sufficient ahha an example of a recent post workout meal of mine was, brown rice with mixed veggies and 500Ml of fruit juice and a scoop or two of soya protein powder! Hope this helps

+1 mike! Its a good idea to have something carby (sugary) with a bit a protein so they you can anobolise, I tend to have protein power in fruit juice and then a big meal within the next hour or two after training, something simple like beans on toast would be sufficient ahha an example of a recent post workout meal of mine was, brown rice with mixed veggies and 500Ml of fruit juice and a scoop or two of soya protein powder! Hope this helps

protein powder n juice then a big meal an hour or so later is definately a good way to go! haha were talking beans again!

The most important thing of all is to have a good diet throughout the day, don`t focus on pre/post workout , focus on your diet =)

it is important to have some thing post workout though, if muscle building/recovery is the goal. your body needs to replace what has been lost in the workout, e.g glycogen....... so it cant then begin to recover ready for the next workout.

I strongly agree, but a good post workout without a good diet is almost equal to nothing. What I meant by my post was to do first things first =)

you can use what i do for post workout ,

Blend all these together

500ml Soy Milk + 30 gms Oats + 2 tbsp Peanut Butter + 2 Medium Bananas = Over 800 Calories , 100gms CARBS , 30+ gms Protein ( Add a Scoop of Protein Powder to really up the ante on prtoein )