Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi from the UK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 pm 
Rabbit

Hello all,

I am new to being a vegan and new to bodybuilding although I have messed with weights for a few years I have never built muscle only toned.

I am 37 years young and I practice yoga daily (due to lower back pain), this helps to make me supple and clears my head for the day. I have a squat rack (new), weight bench and some free weights. I understand the principals of weight training in terms of nutrition and exercise/rest. The area I want help on is strengthening my lower back so that I can continue passed the first few weeks of any program.

I start the program to bulk and all is going well but then as I increase the weight my back starts to niggle and in the end I cannot lift due to the pain in certain positions. I have focused on my lifting technique by gaining advice and using the internet to ensure I am doing the lifts correct. How do I build my lower back enough to embark on a full bulk program.

Any tips would be appreciated, I am 75kgs and want to put on a modest 20kgs of muscle approximately. The back needs sorting first, then any tips on the quantity and type of food as well as the exercises I could do would be appreciated. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

Thanks in advance

Badgerman

Post subject: Re: Hi from the UK
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 am 
Batman

Ello!! Welcome aboard, any particular reason you're username is badgerman? :p
Hope someone will have the information you need, oh and if you don't mind me asking, what part of the uk are you from?? There are quite a few brits here :)

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm 
Elephant

hey badgerman, have you had your back looked at by an osteopath or chiropractor? 20kgs of muscle is going to require you eat like youve never eaten before. good luck mate, keep us updated with your progress!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:16 pm 
VBB Moderator

Definitely, keep a training and food log with us here in the log section of the forum. Try using the search function for the key word "back" or anything similar, back strengthening and injuries get talked about a lot.
Welcome to the group Badgerman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Honey badger don't care, honey badger don't give a shit.

-Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for the warm welcome all, Badgerman Rossco is due to my surname which is in fact Badger.

I live in Shropshire. Where you from Rossco?

I will be sure to check out the other forum sections and search for back complaint threads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 am 
Batman

Ahhh now it all makes sense haha :) I'm from the Isle of Wight mate, have you ever been?
I'll make sure to follow your training my friend

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm 
Rabbit

I'm also in the UK and new here, just moseying through the site at the moment. Have you looked at The Alexander Technique? Although I agree with Mrbear666 about Osteopathy and Chiropractors, Alexander Technique will look at the long term solutions and changing posture habits permanently. There should be quite a bit of choice where you are, you can potentially find a teacher who also has experience of weight lifting and nutrition too. Good luck :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:54 am 
Finch

Good to see some more UK folks on here!

I'm pretty new also but welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:47 am 
Rabbit

Aye, but everyone in the UK seems to be in the South at the moment! The vegans I know in Scotland all seem to be solely into the ethics side of things; when I mention veganism for health and fitness I'm still met with bemusement. Home of the deep friend Mars Bar and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm 
Rabbit

Rossco, Yes I went to the Isle of Wight festival 3 yrs in a row just a couple of years back.

Nice to see so many UK people on here, I will put my training log on the appropriate thread.

I have tried the Bowen Technique which did work and is similar to the Alexander Technique. I worked out today and my back is fine at present so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:08 pm 
Batman

Siiiick :D may have seen you and not realised baha! You going this year? I may go on the sunday not that I'm a bon jovi fan but its always a great atmosphere at iow fest

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:56 pm 
Finch

Hey Badgerman,

I've considered Alexander Technique for posture and would be interested to know how you found the Bowen technique. I must admit I thought it was quite far out on the alternative therapy spectrum of weirdness. But maybe not?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm 
Rabbit

Tom -

Just to leap in and defend Bowen - not at all far out, and very effective. My parents owned an alternative/natural health centre when I was growing up; my Dad was a Bowen practitioner among other things, my Mum an Alexander Technique teacher. Like anything it depends on the therapist, but for posture however and after years of watching clients come and go, and seeing what results they wanted/achieved, I'd still say Alexander Technique every time.

Badgerman - Great to hear you've found something that seems to be working, fingers crossed like you say :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:30 am 
Rabbit

Some Scottish vegans are ethical and concerned about their health :) - setting a positive example!