Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can't stop hurting my back!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am 
Rabbit

I seem to be hurting my backa lot lately and its really affecting me (ie. the way I look and feel because I cant get o the gym enough). Almost every week now I pull a muscle in my back, wait a week for it to get better, go back to the gym and pull a muscle in my back again!!!! Its driving me mad. Whenever I do squats, deadlifts etc I tend to pull a muscle. I think its the centre middle part of my traps Im pulling. So I tend not to do those standing heavy lifts. But last week after a week of recovery i straight away did it again and I dont know how. Maybe doing bent over rows, but I didnt feel anything at the time. Not until the day after. . Its really affecting my training though.

I dont think my form is that bad with anything so I maybe I just have a weak trapezius and need to build it up slowly. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problem?

Post subject: Re: Can't stop hurting my back!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 pm 
Rabbit

watch some youtube videos on proper form, if it's not your form then lift lighter weights for higher reps until you build up the muscle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 am 
Manatee

You can get pains and strains in your upper back and neck if one or both shoulders are not functioning properly. I have a slightly winged left scapula and often had various pains in the upper back. Since doing some particular exercises the winging effect is lessened and I rarely have any pain. I do scapula press ups - using the method proposed by someone whose name escapes me at the moment (hands together in a diamond press-up position and hands directly under the eye level rather than at shoulder level), and other movements. Ido Portaldo has some youtube exercises for shoulder mobilisation.

You might need to exercise your rotator cuff muscles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:04 pm 
VBB Moderator

Advice from my Physical Therapist:
If it's a pulled muscle and he's not doing anything to treat it, then he's just reinjuring the same thing, no amount of rest will heal it. Sounds actually more like one of his vertebrae are rotated or a rib is displaced, and so until that is resolved he'll keep having the same issues. Maybe work on strengthening stuff that uses no arms at all...but if he has insurance get it treated by a PT. Or take the risk and have a friend crack his back. (obviously that's not recommended but it could help if he can't afford to get treated.)

-Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:24 pm 
Rabbit

I’ve had some back pain lately so I bought a foam roller. I roll my back up and down it every once in a while. It seems to help stretch my back muscles and “massage” my spine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm 
Rabbit

thanks for all the responses guys.

The winged scapula sounds interesting. Everything you describe sounds the same as me. I do all these exercies anyway though. I do diamond press ups regularly.

C.O. i do agree with your Physio but you must know how hard it is to just completely stop and recover. Im addicted to fitness! I have calmed down though. I always do every exercise wiyh heaviest weight i possibly can but the last two week si have been doing all my back exercises with low weights and high reps. This seems to be better for me and so far apart frm a few twinges no pains.

We'll see how this goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 am 
Finch

Well you shouldn't be worried,you should go to a doctor i guess he will tell you the actual problem with your muscle.
May be it is some kind of disturbance with your back muscles.He will suggest you the actual medicine for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 pm 
Manatee

I don't do ordinary press ups for my winged scapula. I do scapula press ups. I often do them just with the left arm. Here is the video by Nick Tuminello that shows the diamond press up style:

Push Up Plus - Serratus Anterior Exercise for Winged Scapula
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzFr2GT-Is