Vegan Texan is not an oxymoron

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOOD

So this week I was feeling cheap and made my own cereal by mixing stuff from the bulk foods area. Organic raw oats, golden flax seeds, cinnamon, and leftover raw organic nuts-seeds-fruit mix from last week. Pour almond or soy milk, whichever I am in the mood for, add some fresh organic blueberries and/or banana, and that's breakfast everyday this week. For lunches, I made a big pot of lentils and split peas with cayenne and a little sea salt. I made 5 bowls of it measuring 2 cups each to take to work. For a veggie side dish, I baked squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peas, mushrooms, potatoes, and put that on couscous - 5 bowls ready made for the week. Fruit snack is a grapefruit. I had bought kale, chard, spinach, and extra tomatoes for after workout dinners, but I am not even hungry now. I didn't even need a preworkout snack! Those lentils and split peas pack a ton of filling protein!

FITNESS

Hit the gym tonight and did 30 minutes cardio and tore into my upper body, back, arms, and torso. Legs and core will go tomorrow. Oh and I wore high heels to work today. I count that as working my calves. Haha!

Weight this morning: 191.4 lbs. I will take that .6 loss and wear it proudly. A little bit at a time, I WILL get there.

FITNESS

Killed my legs last night (Wednesday) after doing 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical - 15 min forward and 15 min backward at intensity level 10.

Leg Press sets of 20-25-30 in 3 different positions each set all at 110 lbs with NO BREAKS. BURN, baby, BURN!

Hit the hamstring machine and did 60 lbs for 4 sets of 15 followed by the quad machine at 40 lbs for 4 sets of 15.

Jumped on the booty buster that works the glutes 15 lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg.

Jumped on the calf raise machine at 100 lbs and lost count in the middle of the 3rd set because my trainer saw me and ran up to me and slapped my behind with a rope while I was lifting. We have fun. LOL! Don't worry. I got him back. I grabbed his baseball hat and slapped him with it on the way out. I wanted to do the seatless chair, but some dudes were hogging it, so I didn't get to. Oh well. There is always tonight!

FOOD

Dinner from last night was inspired by Honey LaBronx's Tofu Scramble recipe - https://sites.google.com/site/honeylabronx/home/cooking-show

I did my tofu scramble with an entire bundle of fresh spinach, fresh tomatoes, fresh poblano pepper, cayenne powder, and nutritional yeast. I didn't even need to add oil because of the water from the veggies. I added a cup of leftover couscous and peas for texture. Let me tell you... IT WAS SO FRICKEN GOOD and the house smelled like sexy food. I was very proud of myself. Thank you, Honey!

Breakfast: Amy's brand vegan burrito. I know, I know, I made my own cereal this week. I just got bored and needed something different. I'm finicky like that.

1st Lunch: Leftover tofu scramble - about a cup and a half

2nd Lunch: 2 cups of my split pea/lentil soup.

Snacks: Grapefruit and a bowl of mixed baked veggies - squash, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes.

Goal for tonight is to do a lot of core work and cardio at the gym since Friday night is training night. I also have a bundle of swiss chard to use for tonight's dinner. I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet.

Happy Thursday! Almost there, people.

FITNESS

I did my workout Friday night with trainer focusing on strength and control with a stretchy rope toy and then took the weekend off. Exhaustion - Sleep - And back tonight. It's a vicious cycle.

FOOD-GASM

I made a spinach salad this weekend for my grandmother. I put a pot of quinoa on the stove. While waiting for that to cook, I combined walnut halves, dried unsweetened cranberries, vegan cheese (daiya), a small chopped apple, a little salt and pepper, and a dab of olive oil in a big frying pan and toasted until the cheese melted. Then I stirred in the quinoa and let it rest for a few minutes while I washed the spinach. I tossed the fresh spinach with the warm ingredients to make a warm spinach salad, gourmet style. Try it!!!!

Breakfast: Amy's brand vegan burrito.

Lunch and Snacks for a day of grazing at my desk: blueberries, blackberries, 1 banana, 1 green apple, 1 grapefruit, 1 jimica, 1 green bellpepper, 1 red bellpepper, kumato tomatoes, a wheat bread bun, and 8 oz of Very Vanilla Silk Soymilk. Oh and LOTS of tea and water.

Dinner: Red and green swiss chard and tofu miso soup.

LOL well thanks! I love cooking and mainly do dishes with Mexican and Asian influences.

I had to modify my planned dinner from last night because of time constraints. I did tofu, tomato, and jalapeno miso soup for myself - tomato and jalapeno instead of swiss chard because it takes so much time to wash and chop fresh greens, and I took my carnivore husband on an emergency steak dinner. I know, it's horrible. He went on an interview yesterday and got the job offer a couple hours later, so I had to take him out to celebrate after I inhaled my tofu soup dinner. We also did not go to the gym last night because of that, but tonight we are back on track. It is also his birthday today, so that counted as his birthday dinner too. Meat is a special treat for him because I refuse to cook meat in my house. I will occasionally cook something with dairy in it just for him, but that's as far as I am willing to go.

Havent read your journal for a while. So sorry to hear about your grandma. On a lighter note thanks for posting what you are eating, I am definitely going to try to make a miso-ginger stir fry, that sounds awesome.

-Dylan

This week I have been way off track as far as getting to the gym. Mainly because I keep having to work late, and also because it was my husband's birthday dinner/happy new job dinner, AND I had a chiropractor appointment which has made my back muscles extremely tender. I guess it had been too long since the last back crack appointment and my body is telling me to go more often or else! So I can barely stand up straight this morning, but it's all in my muscles and my spine feels much better. Hopefully I will not have to work late again tonight.

My eating has been all over the place, though all vegan and all healthy. I could do better on my water though.

FITNESS

Friday I did all upper body because I took a fall and landed on my knees after I got home from work and wanted to keep from getting injured. Triceps were sore all weekend. I cleaned the house and cooked food for our Superbowl party on Sunday and now I've got tons of leftover goodies for my lunches all week.

Breakfast: Amy's vegan burrito.

Lunch and Snacks: 2 bananas, 1 cup grapes, 1 cup strawberries, 1 small tropical fruit (just the fruit and ice) smoothie from Smoothie King (co-worker talked me into it!), 4 cup bowl of raw and pickled veggies, and 3 cup mixed leftovers of Tofurkey, roasted veggies, and black beans with onion.

FOOD:

Dinner from last night: 3 cup mixed leftovers of Tofurkey, roasted veggies, and black beans with onion. And BAD BAD VERY BAD - some corn and potato chips - it's a rare day when I eat bad things like this.

Breakfast: Vegan burrito and large decaf coffee with soymilk.

Snacks: 2 cups strawberries, 2 cups grapes, and 8 cup bowl veggies - mostly raw organic -celery sticks, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, and broccoli - and some pickled - black olives, green olives stuffed with garlic, green olives stuffed with jalapeno, pepperoncinis.

Lunch: 3 cup mixed leftovers of Tofurkey, roasted veggies, and black beans with onion.

I fell asleep almost as soon as I got home from work and ate last night, so I did not go to the gym. BAD BAD VERY BAD, but I was so very tired from Superbowl Sunday! I will hit the gym tonight hard. My muscles are starting to show a little and I want to keep this progress going.

RANT/CHALLENGE:

So my husband picked a fight with me on Sunday morning about coffee. We were in the grocery store and I picked up some organic decaf coffee grounds to make coffee at home, which is much cheaper than getting it at a coffee shop. He told me he was MORALLY OPPOSED to my drinking coffee because it was a chemical addiction. He pressured me at the store to not get it, so I told him, I don't want to have this conversation here, and I put the coffee back on the shelf. We got home and he pushed the issue. I called him controlling. He called me an addict. We went back and forth for a bit and then I told him that I had chosen not to hurt him by not purchasing the coffee at the store, but if he wanted to be an ass about it, I would choose the coffee from now on because the coffee won't yell at me for choosing it! Oh that blew his mind and he ended up throwing his wedding ring on the floor like a mature boy. Why the fuck do I put up with this shit?

So I told him I see him eating meat and dairy products every single day of the year and I don't say a word because that is HIS CHOICE. Then he said he would give up meat and dairy for 30 days to prove that he is not addicted to it if I give up all caffeine for 30 days to prove I am not addicted to it. I said he is setting himself up for failure because it is much harder to go cold turkey (haha, get it?) vegan for 30 days than it is to give up an occasional DECAF coffee or tea for 30 days. I anticipate that this will shut him up about telling me what to do with my body for a while. We begin the 30 days on this coming Sunday.

and even if you were addicted to coffee, what would be the problem? whats the point in being so angry about something so pointless......this is whats gets me about people these days, instead of whingeing and moaning about crap, why not channel it into something worth while. sorry just realised this is your husband im ranting about lol

Oh I completely agree! What a waste of time and energy! And I even told him when we started to get into it to please think about it... this is about coffee. Fricken coffee! It's hot water over beans! Can we fight about something more important please? And to end with the throwing of the wedding ring to the floor? I really should have booted him out for that shit and told him to take a few days to think about his behavior. Now he's all in love with me again and looking forward to the challenge on Sunday. And he wonders why I'm not gaga over him. whine/complain/whine... etc....

I don't mean to turn this journal into a personal drama diary, (I really hate superficial drama) but I felt it was related to my vegan diet and the issues that go along with it.

Good luck with your wedding issues. I've have my share this year also.

I thought I had problems with a vegetarian(non-vegan) wife, I'm trying to convert her everyday to quit eating cheese and eggs.

I honestly don't know how you manage to respect so much your husband, congratulations =)

I know I don't have this much patience(or respect).

Thanks. I think the respect is less so than the patience, and that has been worn thinner over the years. I guess I feel like nobody is perfect, but at the same time, I really hate being bullied and controlled, even if, in his mind, he thinks it is coming from a good place. We'll see how he does with the whole vegan for 30 days thing. I just don't see him getting through it very well because he's only doing it to make sure I do my 30 days without caffeine, not because he really wants to be vegan for 30 days. I think he just wants to be right about my "addiction."

Did you know that people can also be addicted to exercise? And shopping? And sex? And biting your nails? And adopting pets? And food? And anything at all in the world?

Guess what, world? I'm addicted to VEGANISM and EXERCISE and WEARING DRESSES TO WORK and THOR and A CUP OF COFFEE IN THE MORNINGS and TEA AFTER LUNCH and CUTE ANIMAL PICTURES ON THE INTERNET! Wow... that feels so much better admitting all that. I'm healed!

FITNESS

Last night I did 30 minutes on the elliptical at level 10. My knees are still acting up from the fall I took on Friday night, so I toned it down on the intensity. Then did seated chest press at 60 lbs 3 sets in 2 different positions each set. Then did some bicep curls at 20 lbs and went for endurance with longer sets and only a few seconds of resting. Then I did 30 lbs on triceps using the pull down rope until I burned out. I used the stretchy rope to play around while I rested between sets. I also switched the rope to pull up for a few sets. Lastly, I played with the gigantic heavy ropes to finish burning out my upper body. I will probably have to work late tonight so I doubt I'll make it to the gym tonight. So much to do! So little time!

FOOD

Dinner from last night: 1 red bellpepper, 1 green bellpepper, 1 tomato, 1 avocado, 1 apple, and 1 pear. I sprinkled paprika on the veggies for flavor.

Breakfast: Vegan burrito and large decaf coffee with soymilk.

Snacks: 2 cups strawberries with kiwi, 2 cups grapes, and 8 cup bowl veggies - mostly raw organic -celery sticks, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, and broccoli - and some pickled - black olives, green olives stuffed with garlic, green olives stuffed with jalapeno, pepperoncinis.

Lunch: 3 cup mixed cooked leftovers of Tofurkey, roasted veggies, and black beans with onion.

FITNESS

-30 minutes elliptical intensity level 10.

-Played on the Seated Leg Press for a bit: First set 3 different positions of 30 reps at 130 lbs. Second set 3 positions of 15 reps at 150 lbs. Third set 3 positions of 10 reps at 170 lbs. Fourth set 3 positions of 10 reps at 190 lbs. That's a new personal best for me! I then got in trouble when my trainer saw me doing this because my joints aren't ready for that kind of weight yet. Patience is really not my strong suit.

-Quad Raises 1 set of 15 reps at 35 lbs. Then 2 sets of 15 at 40 lbs.

-Seated Row 3 sets of 10 reps at 50 lbs.

-Shoulder Raise 3 sets of 15 reps at 15 lbs.

-Seated Tricep Push Down: Set 1 at 25 lbs. Set 2 at 30 lbs. Set 3 at 35 lbs. I didn't count reps and burned out on each set.

-Chest Press 1 set 15 reps at 60 lbs. That's when trainer found me in the gym and chewed me out for doing too much.

FOOD

I've been doing a lot of raw produce this week. I just keep my 8 cup bowl by my desk at work and snack all day. The more raw, alive food I eat, the more energy I have.

http://i50.tinypic.com/ab2gb9.jpg

Thanks! I am a big fan of combining colors to make my food look pretty and appetizing. I am also raw vegan curious. Maybe I will go raw this year? Who knows. I really like hot soup though.

I am trying not to hurt myself with the weights, but I honestly didn't fully understand the situation until last night. Even though I can lift the weight with my main muscle groups easily, I can't do it safely until the tiny muscles around my joints get stronger. Trainer also showed me some exercises to help strengthen my knees. My homework is to do the Quad machine on very low weights and do 3 sets of 100 reps in slow motion 3 times a week. Also, I need to practice lunges with my feet closer together almost in a squat position with knees holding steady at 90 degrees for at least 10 seconds each rep. Until I can do that easily, I cannot increase my weights. Boo! I will get there though. WATCH OUT!

FITNESS

Worked with trainer last night and did the whole body. Even special exercises for the joints. The body feels so awesome today. That perfect amount of sore that constantly reminds me that the effort will pay off. Patience!

FOOD

So far today I've only had a bowl of homemade organic cereal with soymilk - oats and flax seeds and dried fruit and nuts and seeds.

Later today, I'm going into town to get some yummy vegan buffet for lunch/dinner from Pepper Tree Veggie Cuisine in Houston. I will probably over eat like a pig. Oink oink!!!!

FITNESS

I got up early full of energy. I walked the dogs and did grocery shopping and hit the gym. I did an easy 10 minute warm up on elliptical at level 10 and then hopped onto the Quad machine for my 100 reps at 25 lbs to work on my knees. I did tricep pull downs and bicep pull ups, worked my back and pecs and called it an easy Sunday.

FOOD

Today begins the 30 day challenge in our house. Me going without caffeine and him going vegan. Seeing as how I woke up with tons of energy, I think I'm already ahead.

Breakfast: Homemade cereal with soy milk.

Snack: Kombucha.

Lunch: Glass of soy milk and a vegan grilled cheese sandwich.

Dinner: I'm thinking beets and a green salad.

FOOD

Dinner last night: Made a red and golden beet soup including the beet stems and added tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, jalapeño, and onion. Sweet and spicy and served with corn chips. Also had some leftover beans and rice on the side with a mango salsa.

Breakfast: Sweet green smoothie (about 28 ounces) with kale, wheatgrass, sprouts, frozen strawberries, frozen peaches, and strawberry banana soy milk (I found this in the store yesterday. Silk brand Fruit and Protein). Also a vegan burrito. I get really hungry after several lifting days in a row.

Lunch and snacks packed for work: 1 green apple, 1 red apple, 1 orange, 1 lemon, 1 avocado, 4 cup bowl of leftover beet soup, and 2 cups of mixed red beans and northern beans.

The general food plan this week is to do a LOT of smoothies and juicing and raw fruits and veggies.

WATER

Goal is 1 gallon (128 ounces) before I leave work and at least 32 ounces after workout tonight.

30 DAY CHALLENGE

This is Day 2 of no caffeine. I feel FINE! You know, since I was never addicted in the first place, contrary to the belief of my husband.

Mmmm veggie bean soup. It's a very nice cold front! Well, cold for Texas.

He is doing good so far. He substituted vegan versions of everything that he already ate so it wasn't as traumatic on his psyche. He says he feels fine so far. We are both guessing for each other that 5-7 days in we will start feeling some cravings, but who knows. I doubt he'd be honest about that because he wants so bad to be right! Either way, this will get him off my back about the coffee thing for a while, so yay.