Triathlon training

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

xChrisZx
Manatee

Triathlon training

#1 Postby xChrisZx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Does anyone have any training programs / links they could post?

I am trying to find a good program to get me ready for the season. Preferably something that has some weight training mixed in.

Last year I did one Tri and fell in love with it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Re: Triathlon training

#2 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:40 pm

I'll try and find something for you bro, I did triathlons for many years and my wifes' cousin is ranked #1 in the world at triathlon.

Is it Olympic distance or a sprint one? How long have you got to get ready and what fitness base are you at right now? Cheers MF.

vegantri
Rabbit

#3 Postby vegantri » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 pm

I think this book is a good starting point it covers all distances and any level. It also has a basic weight lifting plan you can follow. I have used it for a starting point in planning my season and just modify as needed but for most people it will cover just about anything you would want to do.

http://www.amazon.com/Triathlete-Magazines-Essential-Week--Training/dp/0446696765/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360430219&sr=8-1&keywords=week+by+week+triathlon+training

xChrisZx
Manatee

#4 Postby xChrisZx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I'll try and find something for you bro, I did triathlons for many years and my wifes' cousin is ranked #1 in the world at triathlon.

Is it Olympic distance or a sprint one? How long have you got to get ready and what fitness base are you at right now? Cheers MF.

I am not doing a Sprint Tri (actually a dualthon) until May. My fitness right now is slacking due to laziness at the moment. I have only be doing some weight training and occasional ride on the trainer during the week.
Cycling is my strong sport. I signed up for a sprint tri last year with only 2 weeks to figure out how to run properly. I did better than expected.

I am hoping to do more Tri's this year and make it my main focus fitness wise.

And rambling... done.

xChrisZx
Manatee

#5 Postby xChrisZx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:30 pm

vegantri wrote:I think this book is a good starting point it covers all distances and any level. It also has a basic weight lifting plan you can follow. I have used it for a starting point in planning my season and just modify as needed but for most people it will cover just about anything you would want to do.

http://www.amazon.com/Triathlete-Magazines-Essential-Week--Training/dp/0446696765/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360430219&sr=8-1&keywords=week+by+week+triathlon+training

Thanks dude! I am going to order this tonight.

xChrisZx
Manatee

#6 Postby xChrisZx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm

I think I might order this one also...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Triathletes-T ... =triathlon

vegantri
Rabbit

#7 Postby vegantri » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:30 pm

I got the Triathlon Training Bible when I first started and it wasn't really helpful in getting going on training as it doesn't have workouts or sample training plans. That said it does have a lot of great information but it didn't really become practical until a year or so into racing when I had started to get a better understanding of the sport from experience.

xChrisZx
Manatee

#8 Postby xChrisZx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:52 pm

vegantri wrote:I got the Triathlon Training Bible when I first started and it wasn't really helpful in getting going on training as it doesn't have workouts or sample training plans. That said it does have a lot of great information but it didn't really become practical until a year or so into racing when I had started to get a better understanding of the sport from experience.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I am going to hold off on that one for now and order the one your suggested.

Thanks again!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#9 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I found the 'Triathlete Week By Week Training Guide' a really useful book as it breaks down the training between beginners and advanced.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”