Vegan Gymnast/Dancer in SoCal

Voloflip

Hey Guys,

I'm originally from northern Sweden and was raised on a Biodynamic farm. We ate everything locally, which could be Elk from our forrest or self-raised pork, milk from our neighbors barn, and veggies from our own gardens. When I was 17 and moved away from home, to focus on elite gymnastics, I saw the cost and health benefits of eating vegetarian. I also didn't like cheese and found out a year later that I was lactose intolerant. So I just happened to become vegan and after a while I realized how energetic I felt and how quickly I recovered after exercise.

My athletic carrier started as a circus artist and then gymnastics started to take over more and more of my time.

http://phillipnassen.com/ordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Phillip-Cut-out-handstand-577x1024.png

I kept fighting for my dreams

http://phillipnassen.com/ordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Gymnastics-Cover-photo.jpg

Performing arts

At 19 I moved from Sweden to California to learn how to dance and perhaps go on tour as a dancer/performer/gymnast. Living in California is when told myself I was a vegan just because there were fresh foods available everywhere and I could get it cheaply and in great quantities. I'm now taking more dance classes, working out, and have just started a new job at Disneyland. I'm extremely grateful for all the amazing people I've met on my journeys and am excited to meet many more.

I'll start keeping track of my progress both on my newly made website and youtube as I try to gain some weight while staying on a 80/10/10 diet. I'll be about 4500-5000 calories a day and I'll be eating anything vegan and healthy that will help me reach my goals. I would love feedback and help from knowledgeable athletes and hope to make some great connections through this website.

EDIT (February 2014):

Hello,

It's been a year since my post and I've focused mostly on getting settled on a raw food diet. I have been eating 99.9% raw since June and thriving amazingly. The only reason I haven't gained any muscle is because my job has required anything from 1000-1500 calories a day. If I would have worked out at home I would need to replace over +2000 on top of my 3500 just to maintain and gain weight.

I now have it a little easier at work, it's not summer peak season at Disney, so I'll be starting a 5x5 program 2-3 times a week, Yoga 2 times a week and cardio once a week. This is on top of our conditioning and strength I do 5 days a week before every show.

I'll keep posted once I get into the routine (about 2-3 weeks)

Best regards,

Phillip

Edited by Voloflip

Nice to meet you,

It's always inspiring to see people enjoying life like you!

Congratulation on your dreams coming true!

I'm on the 80/10/10 diet since 2weeks and will start weight training at my local gym 1 march.

I can't wait to see the benefits of this pure diet. Will start with 3000Cal~

will try 4000 and maybe 5000 later like you.

See you around! ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Phillip, badass pics. Growing up on a biodynamic farm must have been a really unique experience. That's really cool to hear you almost stumbled upon veganism through trial and success and stuck with it because of its positive results. Sounds similar to Brendan Brazier's story of how he became vegan and created Vega through trial and error of developing the best diet for recovery, strength and endurance as an iron man triathlete. If you haven't read any of his books I think you might find them interesting. Thrive, The Thrive Diet, I think there maybe others now, not sure but those 2 are excellent.

-Dylan