Vegan Curious

Cown

All caught up on everyone's blog but my own! lol The frigid cold and blowing snow are ensuring that I don't venture outside today for more than walking the pooch, so I have a bit of time...also, catching up on here gives me a reason to not do other things like cleaning lol

Depending on which gym I'm in, workouts are progressing quite nicely, I'd say. Went yesterday since saturday was a write off, and I should be there today, but I'm a little too sore for that..Just have to skip this one day to get back on my schedule.

I don't have a routine when I go in, I just kinda go with how I feel. I alternate between exercises to keep from getting bored and to keep moving forward, but I desperately need something else for shoulders. I miss my awesome shoulders Up'ing weights really isn't an option, though, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them back. Still gunna try though.

Bench is definitely going up - no one laugh, but I managed to get out a few reps of 70lb yesterday. I do somewhat of a pyramid every time I go in, starting with the bar for 12, then 55lb for 10, 65lb for 6 x 2 sets, and as of yesterday, 70lb for 4 at the top. Felt pretty good about it.

Next time in is wednesday, hoping to remove one set at 65 and add a set of 4 with 75...We'll see.

I'm on a thermogenic and multi vitamin, and I'm trying to keep protein up (though I really should track it), but I don't feel any better from any of it. Still tired more often than not, which is rather frustrating...Guess I'll have to find a new theory on why.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good job on your benching! im moaning about the weather here but i bet its not half as bad as what youve got there!

what thermogenic are you on? do you think its working?

mike

I'm on a thermogenic by Bodylogix...the first few days I felt more focused than I normally would in the morning, but that's about it. I haven't noticed any changes in my body, but I'll run the course of it and see what happens.

Haha, I saw that you've been more active on other people's journal's than your own. Thanks for commenting on mine, I love the attention. Looks like things are pretty good with you right?

-Dylan

I'm not sure why, but you saying you love the attention is very amusing to me lol

Things here are alright...I'm pretty limited because of my hips, but keeping activity limited keeps pain minimal, so it's a fair trade, I suppose. Can't wait till I don't have to be so cautious.

Decent workout yesterday...I left pretty frustrated, though. I attempted unassisted pull ups for the first time since I injured my shoulder and it didn't go well...I used to do 3 sets of 10, but now I can only do 2.5, and it irritates the hell out of my hips.

Other than that, everything went fairly well, up'd weights for arnold press and incline bicep curls...Gotta appreciate the small things lol

Combo front/lateral raise - 5lb x 20 x 3

Arnold Press - 7.5 x 15 x 3

Incline Bicep curls - 12.5 x 15 x 3

Preacher curls (I don't find these nearly as effective as I used to...I'm thinking it's because 20lb is too light and 30lb is too heavy... Might try using DB instead before I write the exercise off entirely) - 20 x 15 x 3

Reverse Pec Deck - 40 x 12 x 3

Cable Row (close grip) - 60 (ish?) x 12 x 3

Chin ups - 2.5

Bench Press - empty bar x 15 (3 down, 1 up) x 3

Tricep Extensions - 20lb x 10 x 3 (I usually do more reps but my arms were just toast)

Dogs had me up at 5am this morning, so I went into the gym before work, but I didn't get to finish my workout. I was so frustrated I could cry. When something would make me that frustrated 2 years ago, I'd lift and feel better..Now...Now I don't know what to do. My shoulder seems to be getting worse again. I'm thinking I'm going to call for a physio appt monday morning and wish and hope that it's an easy fix and that I can keep working out. Maybe even use 7.5lb weights in the near future without wrecking it.

All movement tests implied that it's actually my biceps tendon that's the problem, not my actual rotator cuff...but since they share the same centimetre of space in the shoulder, I don't feel too foolish for assuming rotator cuff lol

One of my main problems is actually my wide shoulders (my PT's first comment was how wide they are lol) naturally rolling forward. It's so weird for me to have bad posture because I used to dance for so long and people would compliment my posture...Regardless, my shoulders roll forward enough that it's essentially pinching my tendon against either cartilage or bone on certain movements. I have tape on my shoulder now as a temporary reminder to roll both back, and that's my main homework for the next two weeks. I have 3 actual exercises to work on, too, using tubing. I think for the remainder of the week I'll focus on posture and the exercises and give the gym a go on monday, since I'm still allowed to workout

Squeezing my shoulder blades back and down is seriously exhausting, though lol it doesn't help that I have several knots in my upper back and shoulder that are getting pinched by me doing this...Hopefully it helps get rid of them.

I don't know if anyone can tell me if there's any accuracy to this guess, but earlier I did a small back bend just to stretch out a bit, and when I did I nearly passed out/collapsed. From my upper back to my head got a 'fuzzy' feeling, for lack of better term, and my leg nearly gave out - it visibly wobbled without me trying to move it.

Is there any logic behind assuming that this could be from the knots in my upper back pinching in the wrong places?

Yep, I can see the difference. Sounds like kyphosis, just remember to keep ur shoulders pulled back and your chest out (not wanting to sound pervy or anything). Emphasise more back work in your training, stuff like rows and pulls, benching/pressing movements tend to worsen someone with shoulders that sit forward. Just my 2c!

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, I can see the difference. Sounds like kyphosis, just remember to keep ur shoulders pulled back and your chest out (not wanting to sound pervy or anything). Emphasise more back work in your training, stuff like rows and pulls, benching/pressing movements tend to worsen someone with shoulders that sit forward. Just my 2c!

You didn't sound pervy at all, don't worry! lol Thanks for the tips. Both shoulders actually feel worse doing what my PT recommended and focusing on my posture...I'm going back in a few minutes, so we'll see what he says.

Thanks for your help though

Positive thoughts are a must! How has your week been?

Not terrible, not great. Trying to keep one step ahead of 6 animals is a little exhausting lol but I do love their company. I seem to have developed a mystery allergy, though, and it's kicking my ass in the mornings. I haven't been able to identify what it is, but obviously it's in my apartment.

I tried the gym on sunday and it was more frustrating/depressing than enjoyable, which depressed me more cause it's supposed to be my happy place lol Can't wait till I'm fixed and able to function like a normal 24 year old rather than a 63 year old, as my PT refers to me lol

I've really been slacking off on this blog...I've developed a tendency to avoid all things gym related. Trying to work out depresses me, and thinking about it does even more so, so I guess I'm just avoiding it altogether

Yesterday was the day I should have had my arthrogram had my doctor been smarter and not cancelled it. Just under 3 months for it now.

Anyone have some motivation to help me get back in the gym? I'm usually an extremely positive person, but these injuries have me beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it weird that I miss you guys when I don't post for a while? lol

Had a session with my pt last weds. Shoulders were no better, but no worse, so that's actually a positive lol Stopping the decline is actually a big positive for me. On the other hand, my hips have been brutal the last week and a half. It's actually been to the point where not only has it kept me awake at night, but my boyfriend can't touch me...Too much info? lol

I'm looking into accupuncture for my hip. I went to a lecture on it in animals and figure I might as well give it a go. I've got another 2 months (almost to the day) until my next test, so I might as well try and keep comfortable. Lately I'm a little terrified that the test is going to be inconclusive, but every time I think it I give myself a little slap and remind myself to keep positive

I've been trying to be better with diet, too..Thanks to my guy's parents, I've found a hummus that I like so as of this week I'm eating that and a lot of veggies. Diet coke still has me hooked though...it's just so much more delicious than water! lol Baby steps, I guess.

Is it weird that I miss you guys when I don't post for a while? lol

Awwww, I'm coming over all emotional right now

Is that your way of saying that you miss me, too? = P

My shoulders feel like they'd tolerate some light weight work, but my hips are giving me a hard time still. I'm really tempted to try, but I'm just not sure it's wise.