My training journal

I suppose I really should have done this when I joined.

I have been keeping a journal but for less than a month.

As I mentioned in my intro post, I didn't get a start with fitness until six or seven months ago. I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer, gave up on the gym, slacked a bit, went back to the gym and have gotten back on track with a primarily calisthenics routine with a little bit of resistance band work. I am thinking about adding dumbbells in but I'm still making pretty good gains with the current routine.

Anyhow, here was today.

Pullups-10*7*6*7

Pushups-40*30*30*30

Inverted Rows-13*11*10

Dips-10*11*12

Squat-to-Shrug with 5 resistance bands(3, 5, 8, 13 and 19 lbs.)-15*15*15

Needed a change. Gonna do ladders for a week or two.

Pushups up to 12=144

Close grip pullups to 4=16

Dips to 9=81

Inverted rows to 6=36

Lunges with a three count pause at the bottom to 6=36

Calf raises 2x50=100

My pullups were much less than I anticipated. I haven;t done close grip before, though, so that could be part of it.

The lunges with the pause at the bottom were much harder than I figured.

Gotta say, the ladders are a nice change of pace from the circuit routine I had been on for a while.

Circuits

Pullups=10*10*10*8

Pushups with feet elevated three feet(.9 m)=10*17*16*16

Rows=12*11*10

Dips=15*15*15

One leg squats=10*10*10

Hanging leg raises=10*9*9

Calf raises=50*50*50

Regular pushups=30

First off, three sets of 10 proper pullups has been my goal since I started training and I'm elated to have finally hit it.

I can't quite get my thigh parallel to the ground on one leg squats. Probably 10-15 degrees above parallel. But hey, it's the first time I tried them. I did them in a doorway as my balance still leaves a bit to be desired, but I didn't use anything to help myself back up.

I did the leg raises with my legs straight and got them to about 10-15 degrees above parallel. I'm pretty tall so I can't raise them from a neutral position. I did however hold them in a static position at my lowest possible point for a few seconds first.

My band is recording all week so I don't know that I'll be able to get my regular training in this week. Guess it's a good thing I had such a good one today.

with any of the movements that you will soon be able to do, have a few negativ phase sets, really helps e.g. for muscle ups, get in the top position and reverse the motion really slowly. also, assisted styleee, low bar, or stand ona chair and go thru the motion using your feet to edit resistance.

im faaakin sayin though, im sure you got the strength, maybe your tekkerz needs a lil work, its mostly grip homie, you need to be hanging from the bar with your palm facing the floor(false grip) so when you pull up, ur hand is already in the position to push down.

and with things like levers, bring your legs closer to your torso to edit resistance.

hanging leg raises + around the worlds + hanging wipers... get involved xD

peace/1love

• 2 weeks later...
with any of the movements that you will soon be able to do, have a few negativ phase sets, really helps e.g. for muscle ups, get in the top position and reverse the motion really slowly. also, assisted styleee, low bar, or stand ona chair and go thru the motion using your feet to edit resistance.

im faaakin sayin though, im sure you got the strength, maybe your tekkerz needs a lil work, its mostly grip homie, you need to be hanging from the bar with your palm facing the floor(false grip) so when you pull up, ur hand is already in the position to push down.

and with things like levers, bring your legs closer to your torso to edit resistance.

hanging leg raises + around the worlds + hanging wipers... get involved xD

peace/1love

I'm trying the levers like you said and working on getting my pullups to chest height every time.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Circuits

Pullups=10*10*7*6

Pushups with feet elevated three feet(.9 m)=20*20*20*15

Rows=11*10*9

Dips=16*15*15

One leg squats(each leg)=10*10*10

Hanging leg raises=9*8*8

Single legged calf raises(each leg)=20*20*20

Regular pushups=25

I've got my leg raises up to eye level. Pullups dropped a bit but today was my first proper training in over a week. Recording with a metal band for seven straight days makes it very hard to keep a routine or live healthy. One legged squats worked out a little better, though. I can almost get my thigh parallel to the ground. The one legged calf raises were harder than I thought they would be, too. Especially on the balance.

Weight-140.8 lbs.

Circuits

Pullups=10*10*8*7

Pushups with feet elevated three feet(.9 m)=20*20*20*20

Rows=11*11*9

Dips=17*16*16

One leg squats(each leg)=10*11*12

Hanging leg raises=10*10*8

Single legged calf raises(each leg)=25*25*25

I'm starting to do light, infrequent one arm pushup training. Five per side with my hands on my kitchen counter(3'/.9m). And occasionally on my knees. No plan, really. Just try to do it here and there throughout the day. And levers with my legs tucked. Slow and steady, I suppose.

I purchased a scale today and hope to start putting on more weight. I've put on a bit since I've started training but I can stand to add more. I'm rather tall(6'2"/1.9m) and incredibly skinny, which has been the case my whole life. Eating alot and regularly is a hard habit to get into. My schedule isn't terribly conducive to it, either.

Keeping track will hopefully help me map out my progress a bit better.

Thanks, Dylan!

I am feeling stronger and it's showing in my physique, too. I'm able to lift up full kegs at work now, which I could not do a few months ago. Not quite high enough to stack them without leaning back, but I'm getting there.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Swans-Filth and Rollins Band-Turned On

Pullups=11*10

Pushups with feet elevated three feet(.9 m)=20*20

Rows=13*12

Dips=16*15

One leg squats(each leg)=10*10

Hanging leg raises=10*10

Single legged calf raises(each leg)=35*35

I've been feeling unmotivated lately, hence the lack of entries here but I'm getting back to it. I have been fooling around a bit doing sets of 10 pullups or 40 burpees or squats or one arm pushups with my hands elevated so I suppose I have been doing some stuff but it has been a bit directionless. Better than nothing, right? And no weight for the time being as the scale I bought is a piece of shit and is currently in my garbage can.

11 proper pullups is a new record for me. I'm starting to get better range of motion on my one legged squats, too. Hanging leg raises were tough today.

Kinda sucks that I only did two circuits but I got my juicer in the mail today and made a pear/apple/broccoli/kale juice with it right away. Ended up making me nauseous at the end of my second circuit.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Brighter Death Now-Innerwar and Neurosis-Enemy of the Sun

Pullups-12*10

Weighted pullups-4*4

Pushups-20

Pushups with feet elevated 3'(.9m)-20

Weighted pushups-15*15

Rows-12

Weighted rows-5*5

Dips-15

Weighted dips-10*10

One legged squats(each leg)-10

Weighted squats-15*15

One legged calf riases-30

Weighted one legged calf raises-20*20

Core rotisserie(plank, side plank on each side, crunchesx25)-three times

Hanging knee raises-12*10*12

Adding weight was just what I needed to reinvigorate my motivation. It's a backpack full of books that I'm guessing is around 25-30 lbs. Starting next week, I'm going to do all of my sets with it minus a light warmup circuit.

I went back to hanging knee raises since I can do a full range of motion that way.

The core rotisserie felt good, too. It really makes my training feel more balanced.

Well, I'm lifting them kind of deadlift style and I'm getting the bottom off the ground about 16" or so. Then just lean back to stack them. Like I said, it's a relatively new ability for me.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Black Flag-Who's got the 10 1/2? and Citizens Arrest-Colossus

Weighted pullups-4*3*3

Weighted pushups-20*20*20

Weighted rows-6*6*6

Weighted dips-10*10*10

Weighted squats-20*20*20

Weighted one legged calf raises-20*20*20

Hanging knee raises-12*12*12

Core rotisserie(plank, side plank on each side, crunchesx25)-three times

The weight is the same backpack as my previous entry. I have a new scale coming in the mail tomorrow so I'll be able to find out how much it weighs and start keeping track of how much I weigh.

Man, those weighted pullups are tough.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Godflesh-S/T

weight-144.2

Weighted neutral grip pullups-5*5*4

Weighted pushups with feet elevated 18"-10*10*10

Hanging knee raises-12*10*10

One legged squats each leg-10*10*10

My ROM is increasing on one legged squats. The balance part is still difficult, though.

My backpack with book I'm using for weight weighs 26 lbs.

My tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome have been acting up a lot lately, so I'm gonna do less reps for a bit and cut my training down to one push, one pull, one core and one lower for a little bit. I may try training daily for a bit, as well, as today's training felt a bit short. With that being said, it's better than no training. As my journal reflects, it's been too easy to blow off my training cause something hurts and I don't want to be doing that.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Rorschach-Protestant

Weight-144.4

Weighted(with 26 lbs.) neutral grip pullups-5*5*4

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) dips-7*6*6

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) situps-15*20*20

One legged squats(each leg)-10*10

My knee started having shooting pains after the second set of squats so I omitted a third set.

I like weighted situps and the weighted movements in general.

It's about time to invest in a weighted vest, I believe, although two backpacks full of books are certainly cheaper.

I finished off with 10 burpees. Can't believe how hard 10 of them are. Gotta start stepping up my conditioning.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Corrupted/Noothgrush-Question the Purpose of Human Existence and Einstürzende Neubauten-Strategien Gegen Architekturen

Weight-143.8

Weighted(With 26 lbs.) neutral grip pullups-4*4*4

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) dips-7*7*8

Weighted(with 14 lbs.) pronated grip pullups-4*4*4

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) pushups with feet elevated 18"-7*7*7

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) situps-25*25*25

One legged squats(each leg)-10*10*10

Hanging (almost) straight leg raises-7*6*6

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) lunges-10*10*10

Neck bridges- 2 with my belly up for 15 counts and two with my back up for 15 counts

I was feeling very motivated today and I'm pretty happy with today's workout.

Switching back to the almost straight leg raises. It's kind of fitting with making the rest of my movements harder and for lower reps. The one legged squats are still very hard. My balance is slowly getting better but the ROM still leaves a lot to be desired. I'm generally getting my thigh parallel to the ground. Pistols are still a ways off.

Circuits

Soundtrack:Carcass-Symphonies of Sickness

Weighted(With 26 lbs.) neutral grip pullups-5*5*4*4

Weighted(With 40 lbs.) dips-10*8*7*8

Hanging leg raises-8*8*8*7

Weighted(with 40 lbs.) split squats on each leg-6*6*6*6

The one legged squats have been keeping me sore for a few days so I figured I would change it up today. Stoked about the dip progress. I wish my pulling exercises improved that fast. Ha ha. Leg raises are getting better, too.