Greg in Toledo, Ohio

boodie

Hi all!

I was a vegetarian from the time I was 11 until I was 34. I am now 42 and have converted back to vegetarian about 4 months ago. I plan on being a Vegan by the end of the year (hopefully sooner!) as I still eat fish and eggs. My wife and I are going to convert to eating RAW as well. I would say I am more of a Power lifter.

Stats:

5'10"

258 #

Bench 385#

Squat 550#

Deadlift 625#

I take no supplements (creatine, whey, or otherwise)

I have lost no muscle mass since I have started my lacto-ovo diet/lifestyle. My energy has actually IMPROVED as well as my sleep. I continue to make strength gains, which was my main concern. Well, actually, I am fine staying where I am as far as strength, I was more worried about LOSING strength. I am a Firefighter/EMT here in the area and I need to stay fit and keep up with these young guys on the Dept. (who are kind enough to say that they are trying to catch up to me!).

This looks like a great site and I hope to learn a lot from everyone here!

Thanks,

~Greg

Hi Greg! Welcome to the Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness forum! I wish you and your wife much success in your vegan journey! But, why wait? Start ASAP!

Have you read The Engine 2 Diet book yet, written by Austin Firefighter Rip Esselstyn? Excellent book, and it might really inspire you, since there are so many references to your profession. Great book!

Anyhow, welcome to the community and congratulations on your successes thus far!

All the best,

Karen

Hi Greg! Welcome to the Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness forum! I wish you and your wife much success in your vegan journey! But, why wait? Start ASAP!

Have you read The Engine 2 Diet book yet, written by Austin Firefighter Rip Esselstyn? Excellent book, and it might really inspire you, since there are so many references to your profession. Great book!

Anyhow, welcome to the community and congratulations on your successes thus far!

All the best,

Karen

Thanks Karen!

We are almost there! I switched to Almond Milk (LOVE IT!) and that was one of my main concerns (dairy).

I will definitely check out that book, sounds great!

Thank you for the welcome!

~Greg

hey greg, with lifts like that looks like we'll be doing the learning from you! start up a training journal, it will be great to follow along!

regards

mike

Hey Mike!

LOL, I think all of my learning will be from you guys! What a great group of people, and so informative!

My main concern was losing weight and losing my strength! A happy surprise that I feel like I have MORE energy and strength as we eat more and more vegan/raw!

I'll definitely start a journal on here!

Quick peek into my workouts without boring you: I do full body workouts 3 days a week. It's a mixture of the Stronglifts 5x5 and a few others that I have gotten gains from. Monday is my "light day" where I do 2 sets of 12-15 reps (Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Rows, Military Press). Wednesday is my "medium day" where I do the exact same thing but my reps are in the 8-10 range. Friday is my "heavy day" where once again I do the exact same exercises in the 4-6 rep range. That's it! I'm in and out of the gym in an hour OR LESS! Of course I warm up, etc. I continue this workout for about 3 months then change it up so I don't plateau.

Thanks for the welcome!

~Greg

.facebook_-31495597.jpg

awesome! i like the idea of train whole body 3 times a week might give a try in a couple of months....yeh, everyone here has alot to offer, theres a good range of people experienced in all areas....i was the same when i turned vegan i thought i was going to shrivel up get all weak and die, but luckily i didnt look forward to following your journal!

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Greg what changed between age 34 until now? Then what changed again to motivate you back into it? Sounds like good things are happening for you. I like to hear the reasons and the stories people have. Its great to take what others have learned and apply it to my own motivation.

-Dylan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...