Right Elbow weak, dead lift and pull up alternatives?

JubNZ

Hey all,

So my right elbow has been giving me trouble for a while now (6 months), its slowly improving.

Today I went to go try some pull ups, however the elbow was very stressed and I dont want to try dead lifts as its hard enough to hold a 8kg weight while doing calf raises I wouldnt have a chance.

So basically, what would people suggest I do instead. Interested in dead lift thoughts as it sucks that I may not be able to complete a dynamic compound movement for quite a while!

I would not normally use the machines, but at my gym there is one for the back that you push back against... no arms involved - perhaps you have something like that at your gym? Back extensions... unweighted to start, and try with 5..10.. 25lb plate as your elbow can handle. Single leg glute bridges work glutes and a little bit of lower back.

I can't think of any trapezius exercises that don't involve extensive use of arms. You may want to just focus on 'core' exercises for now while your elbow heals... like planks. Not sure if you can do a dead hang ... but if you can, you could try some toes to bar (ab workout). The hang will prepare your grip strength... which will help when you are actually ready for a pullup.

Not sure if you've been to physio ... but a physiotherapist may be able to give you some rehab exercises to work on.

I'm getting over a shoulder injury and I had to go back to doing shoulder presses with 5lb dumbbells at the beginning. I've progressed up to where I was prior to the injury (35lb dumbbells) but it took more than a year. It was really slow and frustrating progress .. but my most important goal was not to reinjure. So my advice... Focus on your progress from today instead of on what you used to be able to do .. ie. progress is progress... take it easy and you will get there.

Thanks for the reply. Im glad you were able to relate with your shoulder injury. Its defo frustrating! But seeing that it took you a year to get back

to the starting weight shows me I just need to stay patient.

Havent been to the physio yet, has been suggested a couple times. I guess I might just have to pull the trigger, I have never been to one before so Im a bit skeptical but might be time to swallow my pride

I think the single leg glute bridges will be easiest for me to integrate, so will give them a go!

Thanks heaps