How to Get Good Posture

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Broccoli Monster
Rabbit

How to Get Good Posture

#1 Postby Broccoli Monster » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Lately, I've been feeling like I'm not carrying myself properly. I've heard that bad posture can lead to back and neck problems over time while good posture can lead to better confidence.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the effects of posture on health, mood, and training? Does anyone have any reliable sources that teach proper posture and its benefits?
"B" is for "Broccoli"...that's good enough for me.

Broccoli Monster
Rabbit

Re: How to Get Good Posture

#2 Postby Broccoli Monster » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 pm

"The body was designed to be as energy efficient as possible. However, since our bodies have been put through the meat grinder of daily sedentary living, we have lost our energy saving capabilities.

In essence, you are always fighting against gravity, and when your body is misaligned, it is fighting way more than it needs to be. In turn we feel more tired, muscles feel tight, and this takes a toll physically AND mentally.

When you get the body closer to it’s original form, you make it much more energy efficient and in turn, things that were once difficult will seem much easier."

(Source: http://bonytobeastly.com/posture-muscle ... le-heaven/)

Interesting...
"B" is for "Broccoli"...that's good enough for me.

JubNZ
Manatee

#3 Postby JubNZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 am

My body posture is bad too. My shoulders slump forward, when I try and walk around with 'correct posture' it does feel odd. My posture has improved over the last few months. Mainly from just trying to be conscious of it as much as possible. Posture and form is crucial when training is huge so concentrating on form has had flow on effects
Just do it.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#4 Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:24 pm

This is a good article to start with some basic stretches and lifts to help posture. It's T-Nation, but it's still good advice.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/deconstructing_computer_guy
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

Compassion
Manatee

#5 Postby Compassion » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:58 pm

I have always had pretty bad posture. I slouch. I haven't done anything on purpose to correct it, but ever since I started lifting I definitely notice my posture straightening out.
-Evan

Jenie
Rabbit

#6 Postby Jenie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 am

Well, If you would like to make good body posture then here i am sharing a link where you can entire information.

http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Your-Posture

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#7 Postby C.O. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for creating this post, and thanks for the links. My PT gf has been harrassing me about my posture a lot lately.

jr17
Rabbit

#8 Postby jr17 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 am

My posture is horrible also. I have anterior pelvic tilt and that completely throws my physique off. It's probably from wearing a knapsack during my elementary school years and sitting at the computer for long periods of time. I hate it because it gives the illusion of a big belly and a big butt. This isn't a picture of me, but this is basically my exact posture. Image

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#9 Postby C.O. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 pm

yeah you can see the similarities between that pic you posted and the pic in your profile. Posture is so key.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”