Feel weird after eating at Subway

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

9nines
Manatee

Feel weird after eating at Subway

#1 Postby 9nines » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:27 pm

I rarely eat at restaurants. Maybe eight or ten times a year, I will eat at a vegetarian restaurant and while it is not exactly healthful, I usually eat grilled tofu sandwich and a sprouted whole wheat bun with freshly prepared french fries, it is closer to whole foods/lightly processed foods than most restaurant food and when I eat there I feel fine.

Then, maybe a few times a year, I will eat an all vegetable sandwich from Subway. When I eat the Subway sandwich, I always feel weird. About 20-30 minutes after eating it and for most of the rest of the day, I feel restless yet tired at the same time. I feel flushed and I do not think as completely clearly as normal (much more easily distracted.) Also, I have pressure in my forehead area and around my eyes (not a headache but just a feeling of pressure.)

Anyone else have this experience? Any idea what it is? Just typical poor restaurant quality food – chemicals in the bread?

blabbate
Gorilla

Re: Feel weird after eating at Subway

#2 Postby blabbate » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:54 pm

--
Bruce

damdaman
Manatee

#3 Postby damdaman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 pm

That's because subway is crap fast food disguised as "healthy" by millions of dollars in marketing.

chrisjs
Elephant

#4 Postby chrisjs » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:01 am

I feel the same way after eating Subway. I often get some pretty bad heartburn from it, which I attributed to getting all the hot peppers.

The 20+ min crash I figured was an insulin spike/crash from the refined bread. I don't get a headache, but I also don't have a sensitivity to MSG. Do other MSG-containing foods bother you? That's what it sounds like.

Wow the amount of preservatives and colorings are crazy.

cubby2112
Elephant

#5 Postby cubby2112 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 pm

It might also be due to the massive dose of sodium (partly due to all the MSG). A veggie sandwich isn't as loaded as one with cheese and deli meat, but if I remember correctly, they are still incredibly high.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

kickassmuscle
Finch

#6 Postby kickassmuscle » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:14 am

I seldom dine at Subway, most of the time I go to Mac Donald for a fast dinner. And almost all the times, I felt bad after 30 minutes. :twisted:

j_l_jones
Finch

#7 Postby j_l_jones » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 pm

I've been having this same experience the last two times I ate at Subway. I wonder if the disgruntled employees put something in there. I feel lightheaded, restless, generally weird and kind of floaty and out of it. This is the second time this has happened. I will not be going back.

:shock:

:?

JubNZ
Manatee

#8 Postby JubNZ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 am

I herd that the Chicken Teriyake sub has 105 ingredients in it. So foul!
Just do it.

johnboley
Rabbit

#9 Postby johnboley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 am

In a pinch, I'll periodically get one of their veggie patty sandwiches and make sure to hold the peppers and onions. Still feel a bit bloated and heavy later . . . got to remember, their stuff is most likely anything but organic, meaning predominately cheaper GMO stuff, highly refined, and as said earlier, lots of sodium added in with other preservatives as well. The human body has a hard time assimilating such "foods" and it circulates in the body as undigested "Ama" which causes gas, heaviness, lethargy, headaches, etc. etc. I rarely eat out anymore and will simply fast for one meal if in a pinch rather than put bad stuff in my body. Fasting helps burn Ama and can be a good thing from time to time.
Ancient Wellness Tech: achieving wellness through Ayurveda in a modern world.

blabbate
Gorilla

#10 Postby blabbate » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:12 am

The Subway veggie patty isn't vegan anyway. Like many (most?) veggie patties at fast-food chains, it has egg and dairy.

But even more importantly, Subway tastes awful.
--
Bruce

johnboley
Rabbit

#11 Postby johnboley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 am

Yep. Bottom line, most restaurants, "vegan" and others, are going to cut corners on ingredients and preparation to turn a profit. There is a vegan restaurant down the street from the Subway I mentioned, and the guy serves a lot of good "vegan" food, but its served "deli" style in a cold case (no telling how long its been there) and then he heats it up in a microwave. Thus, he effectively destroys whatever good qualities inherent to the food; because of his preparation, the food has almost no taste and causes the same effects as Subway. Rarely eat out anywhere nowadays.
Ancient Wellness Tech: achieving wellness through Ayurveda in a modern world.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”