Forearms hurt when curling with a barbell?

Does anyone else have this problem? Every time I use the barbell to curl I get a bad pain in my forearm and I have to let it go slowly as that is when it really kicks in. I've read that it could be to muscle cramps and lack of potassium but I do not think that is the case because I am a banana maniac. I've also read it coul dbe due to form but no matter how I adjust my arms it comes back. It's a shame cause I really want to up my biceps, and I feel the best results are when I switch between different bicep exercises. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions? Advice?

hey mate, i get forearm pump so bad sometimes that i have to stop before my biceps are tired, i dont know if its the same thing you have but its similiar i think? i only get it doing straight barbell curls. if i do pre exhaust first, it doesnt seem to happen tho, for example doing concentration curls first, then the barbell curls afterwards, as my biceps are already more tired/worked than my forearms. try doing standing concentration curls like arnold used to do. just grab a dumbell lean over and use your non working arm to rest on something like a bench, let your working arm hang down freely and then start your curls. im sure there is some pics of arnie doing them online if you cant understand my awful description

I get this all the times!

I`m a programmer, so this is due to some kind of inflammatory process because of repetitive strain injurie. I'm trying to do some stretching and forearm specific exercises to increase my grip strength.

When curling, to prevent the pain, I'm using a wrist strap. Generally people don't use straps because it may cause strength imbalance between your forearms and biceps. But if you are doing specific exercises to strengthen your forearms it is not a bad idea, I do them at the very end of my training, because after them your forearms will be sore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/WristStrap.JPG

hey mate, i get forearm pump so bad sometimes that i have to stop before my biceps are tired, i dont know if its the same thing you have but its similiar i think? i only get it doing straight barbell curls. if i do pre exhaust first, it doesnt seem to happen tho, for example doing concentration curls first, then the barbell curls afterwards, as my biceps are already more tired/worked than my forearms. try doing standing concentration curls like arnold used to do. just grab a dumbell lean over and use your non working arm to rest on something like a bench, let your working arm hang down freely and then start your curls. im sure there is some pics of arnie doing them online if you cant understand my awful description

I know what you mean by the standing concentration curls, I do not think this is entirely the same issue though. From what is sounds like your forearms start to hurt AS you're doing the curls, this is not an issue for me. It is when I set the bar down and let go, it is usually a sharper type pain that shoots its way up my forearms and can leave them a little sore.

Do you get the same pain when using a dumbbell? If not it could be due to your arms being fixed in position without the chance to adjust their angle as the arms bend when using a barbell. With a dumbbell your forearms can twist slightly at different points in the movement.

No, no pain at all when I use the dumbell.

I get this all the times!

I`m a programmer, so this is due to some kind of inflammatory process because of repetitive strain injurie. I'm trying to do some stretching and forearm specific exercises to increase my grip strength.

When curling, to prevent the pain, I'm using a wrist strap. Generally people don't use straps because it may cause strength imbalance between your forearms and biceps. But if you are doing specific exercises to strengthen your forearms it is not a bad idea, I do them at the very end of my training, because after them your forearms will be sore.

What kinds of forearm stretches and exercises? Maybe I will give those a try. I can deal with the pain if I have to, I just don't want to cause any permanent or lasting damage to my arm.

I know what you mean by the standing concentration curls, I do not think this is entirely the same issue though. From what is sounds like your forearms start to hurt AS you're doing the curls, this is not an issue for me. It is when I set the bar down and let go, it is usually a sharper type pain that shoots its way up my forearms and can leave them a little sore.

ah right, i see mate, good luck finding a solution

The exercises are basically using hand grippers and this one with palms facing up and palms facing down, I do 3 series of 15 of each using dumbbells, but using a barbell also works just fine:

http://www.passion4profession.net/muscles-exercises/forearm-exercises-l.jpg

The exercises are basically using hand grippers and this one with palms facing up and palms facing down, I do 3 series of 15 of each using dumbbells, but using a barbell also works just fine:

http://www.passion4profession.net/muscles-exercises/forearm-exercises-l.jpg

Thanks a bunch, I am going to incorporate this into my warmup on Fridays when I do arms... I will let you know how it goes.