Hi all, newbie from the netherlands here (help needed)

klonoa

Hello all.

Just discovered this great forum, love all the positivity!

About me:

I'm a 21 yo IT student from the Netherlands.

I'm about 1,90m and 140Kg (always have been a big guy).

I'm not very fat but there is still some there that needs to go.

i've been vegetarian since i was 8 and vegan since about 6 months. (after watching Gary Yourofsky on youtube)

Now my problem:

Since i became vegan it had great reactions i started to look thinner (although oddly enough keeping my weight)

Now i want to take it a bit further. I quit eating junk for the past 2 weeks (like candy,white bread,jelly,etc)

and only eat fruit, veggies , nuts and beans.

I'm aware of the protein and b12 witch i take enough of in soy milk.

I try to lift weights everyday in this routine:

each bicep 50x 13kg (in steps of 10)

50x situps

50x overhead lifts (in steps of 10) (excuse me if this is the wrong word for this exercise i mean the one where you repeatedly lift the weight from shoulders to over your head) (60kg)

50x bench press (in steps of 10) (60kg)

i did this for the last 2 weeks but no result yet.

Am i just impatient or am i doing something wrong?

Should i do more cardio?

Does anyone have a plan or something that i can follow?

And the last question: I've read about vegan creatine, What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

Ok, for that in 2 weeks you should have lost about 1 lbs.

Not much, but it is a safe goal. It will take time to see some improvements but they will come as long as you persist.

Have patience and never give up.

It is quite simple to lose fat and gain strength: eat healthy, work hard in each and every train, never skip train, sleep a lot.

Simple and hard =)

Hey welcome if weight/fat loss is your goal then plenty of cardio and not so much weights, if you want to get strong in the process then check out some followable programmes like stronglifts 5x5 plenty of forum members here will attest to how good it is.

The names ross by the way, hope you get all the info you need matey

Hey welcome if weight/fat loss is your goal then plenty of cardio and not so much weights, if you want to get strong in the process then check out some followable programmes like stronglifts 5x5 plenty of forum members here will attest to how good it is.

The names ross by the way, hope you get all the info you need matey

Thanks for the tip, i just read the stronglifts 5x5 page. Looks good, i think i'm gonna try it.

Thanks!

Weight loss is apparently 80% diet and 20% exercise. So definitely your diet needs to be in check.

When I'm trying to lose, I always log my calorie intake vs weight ... that way I can adjust my calories after a week if what I'm doing is not working. It is a bit time consuming, but if you are committed to a goal, logging is definitely a good way to manage.

Eating clean, like you said you are aiming for, will definitely help you to feel full and satisfied earlier so stick to that goal.

To lose fat and not muscle I recommend aiming to lose more slowly, and to include some weightlifting.. 5x5 is good. For example, I've lost 4 pounds in 8 weeks while still making strength gains. Also, imo, going more slowly helps you to recognize how much you should be eating normally... ie, when you are 'off' your diet, you really shouldn't be eating a whole lot more than you did on your diet.

GL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sounds like some great strives have been made. Have you been able to stick to it? Still able to avoid the junk food even? Are you continuing to see more positive results?

-Dylan

I did stick to it well mostly.. rarely some jelly or other unhealthy stuff managed to slip through.

I followed the 5x5 plan and am at the end of week 4 now.

My weight increased to about 142kg. don't know if i lost any fatt (really should buy one of those meters.)

I feel about the same, maybe a bit stronger, but oh well it's just the 4th week.

• 3 weeks later...

Just one thing I thought I should mention.

You do say you are getting our b12 through soy milk. I know the millks I drink will indicate that they've been fortified with 50% of my daily requirement for b12. The RDA for B12 is 2.5mg which works for the average omnivore. Be aware that a vegan diet requires a lot more than the RDA - ie. 25mg/day or 1000/wk. So just be careful with that. Since you were vegetarian for years before, you could quickly become deficient.

• 3 months later...

Hey man,

Whats up? Great to read that you're from The Netherlands (like me) and that you turned vegan after watching Gary Yourofsky on Youtube. I actually saw his speech last Saturday for the first time. Loved it!

How is it going with your goals? I can help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tomvegan and klonoa,

Where abouts in the Netherlands is everybody. Anyone in Amsterdam? Looking for some likeminded souls. Dont know anyone around here who is both passionate about fitness AND not eating meat.

Let me know.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...